You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:34 pm 

The subject says it all... DD(6) and DD(3.5) have always eaten hamburgers w/out the buns, sometimes with slices of safe bread as the buns - not as fun! DD is starting to ask when she can have hamburgers with "real" buns...I haven't been able to find anything at Loblaws/Metro, etc. Any suggestions? TIA!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:37 pm 

I don't mean to be a downer but there aren't any. :cry: For the few sesame breads out there check out the sesame thread, most members are great at posting new bread product finds there. When we had to avoid eggs I thought that was the hard part but it wasn't, sesame is the pesky little seed that seems to extend to 99% of bread products. I have made great burger/hot dog buns from scratch (I still don't use eggs as I became accustomed to baking without them and they work out perfectly).

Here's the closest thing you so far I am aware you could use for burger buns. They taste good too.

Dempster's Oven Fresh (buns and baguettes) *ONLY THE OVEN FRESH WHITE BUNS/BAGUETTES ARE SESAME SAFE

Enriched wheat flour, water, vegetable oil (canola or soybean), salt, sugar/glucose-fructose, yeast*, guar gum, acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides, dextrose, malted barley flour, natural and artificial flavours, modified wheat starch. *order may change. [I808].

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:31 pm 

These are also gluten free...haven't tried them yet.

El Peto

http://www.elpeto.com/elpetoonline/inde ... path=35_36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:58 pm 

Just had another thought...

There is a bakery in my town that is willing to make light rye flour hamburger and hot dog buns for my son. I was in there a couple weeks ago looking for bread. The baker said that all I needed to do was call the day before and they would make some for me.

It my be worth visiting some local bakeries to see if they are willing to make breads without your allergens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:11 pm 

Thanks to both of you for your replies. DD is allergic to sesame but she is ok when it says "may contain traces of". It's when there are actual seeds all over the buns that is the issue! I will check out the links you posted and also the recipe section. Hopefully there is a recipe that meets my criteria :-(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:41 pm 

Check out Dimpflmeier bakery. I'm holding the hamburger buns in front of me right now. No egg/peanut/sesame.
I call the store somewhat regularly to see if they will ever change their mind about the risk of cross contamination. As of yet they still stick by their words (see the Dimpflmeier string of discussion).

FYI - they bake the buns Thursday at noon (so you might need to get them in their own store and freeze them)

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 pm 

We use the D'Italiano thintini Original buns. They are egg, milk and sesame free.

Yesterday I found "Thin bagels" from Dempsters. They are about the size of a hamburger bun (mind you with a hole in the middle) I called the company and they stated that any may contains would be listed on the ingredients. The ingredients show that they are egg, milk and sesame free.

boys' mom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 pm 

THANK YOU Boysmom!!! :thanksign
Any sesame free bread product is a good bread product!
I hadn't heard of either of those before so I appreciate the post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:42 pm 

Thank you boys' mom! My daughter and I found the Dempsters Thin Bagels at Walmart today. Our son had his first taste of a bagel today, and he was thrilled! I plan to use them for hamburgers tomorrow evening - what a great idea! The thin bagels are great toasted (very thin, but I guess the "100 calories per bagel" is the selling feature, and actually, they are really good toasted as they get very crispy) Anyway, I digress... I'm just always very happy to learn of a new sesame (and egg and peanut) free product! So thanks again. I love this group! There is no way we could all find these products on our own, so it's great when we can all share in shopping the grocery aisles.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:01 pm 

Boy's mom you have made our day. We found the thin bagels and the D'Italiano thinini buns. I can't tell you how good it was to eat a bagel again, to top it all off with DS having outgrown fish I enjoyed my toasted bagel with smoked salmon cream cheese.
:thumbsup I don't mind them thin as I like how crunchy they are.
DS loved them and ate 1/2 a buttered bagel.

The thinini pita like hamburger buns we are using tonight for burgers. :happydance
THANK YOU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 pm 

I couldn't find the D'Italiano thinini buns yet. Can someone tell me which store(s) you've seen them in? Much appreciated! :)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:32 pm 

I bought them at Sobeys...same as IGA depending on where you live.
They look like square thick pitas, they sell hot dog style ones also by D'Italiano thinini but those have a sesame warning. Basically one of the hamburger buns cut in half then folded in half are exactly what was bagged for hot dog buns anyway.