You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:39 pm 

Hi all!

So, it looks like my peanut allergic daughter has asthma. While on a short vacation DD did a whole lot of swimming (we counted 8 hours in the pool in 3 days) then had breathing difficulties, which we tried to control with Ventolin for a few days then turned to Singulair which finally did the trick (we had a prescription for Singulair from our allergist to control cold induced asthma in the fall/winter cold season).

I took her into the pediatricians office to ask about treatment, management, etc. and her advice was pretty useless ("Singulair is great! Use it if she seems to have asthma. Don't let the door hit your *** on the way out!"). I have no asthma plan for her, know very little about recognizing symptoms, managing her asthma, etc. and am terrified of the whole thing. And of course I feel terribly guilty because DD had an awful time with teething and I used to give her Tempera (acetaminophen) to help with the pain so of course this is my fault :( .

SO... what now? I have heard about asthma training, but where and with who? I live in Ottawa. Any advice on where to go from here? Our allergist seems to be an authority on the subject. He's quoted in an article in this month's Today's Parent magazine but the wait to see him is loooong and I want to have a plan by the time cold & flu season comes around.
Has anyone had any experiences with asthma training or education in the Ottawa area or elsewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:58 am 

Robinsegg I'll PM you with a wonderful asthma educators name. It seems that many of us on the OASG have met with her and all share positive experiences with meeting her. My GP organized the meeting and it was done in a conference room at our Dr's office.
Sorry to hear about your little one. Once you get DD on a plan it will really take the guessing out of how/when to use meds. etc..
:huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:33 am 
Site Admin

This spring Allergic Living magazine introduced a new section called Currents. This new asthma and allergy publication is produced by the Canadian Network for Respiratory Care in conjunction with Allergic Living magazine you can read it on line
http://www.allergicliving.com/documents ... ring-2010/
Use the drop down button to choose other issues.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:38 am 

hi-my son developed asthma a couple of years ago.He's well managed on singulair (he especially gets exercise induced asthma and this is great for that)-he has ventolin prior to known exercise and we manage him well.
One thing to remember with asthma is that you need to control nasal symtpoms to have good asthma control...so if you have allergies such as dustmite/grass allergies that may give you hay fever its important that the nose is well treated-for us its nasonex nasal spray-if you have good nasal control your asthma control is much much much better as well.
Good luck!

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.