You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Should you mention it?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:10 am 

After ordering out from a restaurant that is very good with allergies and we've had a good experience there in the past, last night, our older one had an anaphylactic reaction while eating dinner (red rash around mouth, itchiness, wheezing) and we gave her her epi-pen and brought her to the hospital. It may be my bad, I read through the ingredients likst before of what she was eating - they put a warning on the order for the chefs, but things happen and the sauce may not have been safe after all, even though I read the ingredients.

After 6 hours and a minor biphasic comeback, we're back home, but I was wondering if I should go to the restaurant and point it out that something somewhere went wrong (and to check the ingredients list again to see what I missed that could have caused the reaction, considering they don't have the quick labeling for beef allergies. I'm curious to know what it was so I can tell the allergist/doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:37 am 

I'm so sorry Cauger, huge hugs to your little one.
I would go back but just be clear it isn't to lay blame. Just explain that you are more interested for the future in what went wrong so you are aware what may not be safe and to avoid ordering for your DD. If they are allergy aware they will most likely be very interested in pinpointing the issue be it on the prep. side in their own kitchen or a labeling issue with the ingredients themselves. They won't want the same situation with your DD or another patron.

HUGS, how are you?
:huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:04 am 
Site Admin

I would let them know. I think it's important that you keep the lines of communication open. You need to find places that you can count on and maintain a good relationship with them.

If you don't address this now, you may feel anxiety dealing with the restaurant later on.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:07 pm 

I don't really blame the restaurant, I know it's not their fault really, they are careful, but things happen and eating out is never 100% safe for people with allergies (actually, we did takeout, but either way..). It's going to take me a while to be able to get the nerve up to order out again, but i'll get over it.

I just feel bad, that's the 5th reaction we've had in less than 2 years (okay, the first 3 were new allergens, but still) and second epi-pen (should have been third). They are goos at the hospital for making you feel like you've done the right thing.

It's just really not fun, sitting around the table eating your dinner with the family just to glance over to a ketchup covered toddler but noticing the wrong red hue underneath, and the fact she's a bit cranky/wheezy as well, knowing what's going on (my husband didnt even realise it, I had him get me the epi-pen and she was cleaned off and injected before he even noticed the symptoms, I know not to hesitate now.. Besides having a horrible night of sitting in the hospital until after midnight, trying to put down an over tired toddler and feed an incredibly hungry baby, (about a total of 3 hours sleep - very interupted) we're all good. I'm exhausted, my husband slept like the dead (but he works tonight, so I needed him to get some sleep) and our DD1 is running around like crazy as if nothing happened.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:53 pm 

I would go back, or at least call and let them know. You'll have to handle it very gently in case the person on the receiving end becomes defensive but it's probably best to let them know that they slipped up somewhere.

Sorry you and your little one had to go through all of that. It sounds like you know what you are doing on that front but I'm sure it's still shakes everyone up a bit.