You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:46 pm 

We are on vacation and I think DS1's asthma is worse than normal. He was looking grey and pale and very tired and I had no idea what to do but couldn't hear wheezing. I thought I would have to take him to the emergency room. Without knowing what to do I started giving him ventolin 3x a day on top of his normal once a day Qvar puff (which we've only been doing for 1.5 weeks) and it seems to be helping.

I'm not expecting medical advice, but I feel like I need some idea about what to do. Would this be a normal treatment? Is there anything else I should try? I thought of reactine or singlulaire ( we have a prescription without specific direction), but he's also on antibiotics so I don't want to overdo the medication.

Any advice?

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:53 pm 

Hiebs I would take him to a walk in if possible to be checked. I would also put him on stronger plan. Our yellow plan (which is all the time as we never seem to be controlled enough to be off it is....)
Singular once a day (evening). Singular needs to work over a long period of time so I'd use the puffers as your emergency plan for now. Now I'm not an asthma educator, this is just the plan our son has been put on.

We use one ventolin before 2 flovent in the morning.
2-4 puffs of ventolin every 4 hours or sooner if needed.
And then 1 ventolin before 2 puffs of flovent in the evening.

If he needs the ventolin USE IT....it won't hurt him but not using it could.

When you get home be sure to see your family Dr. and make sure from him/her or an asthma educator a proper asthma action plan suitable for your child.
Try and have a good vacation....the puffers should help control the asthma...if not..go to the hospital.

I don't know what he is on antibiotics for but there is no such thing as overdoing the asthma meds if he is wheezing and pale/grey. Our son had his most traumatic trip to the hospital with a raging ear infection...trigger for asthma. We waited hours too long to go and his oxygen was scary low by the time we got to the hospital and it took 2 days for his one lung to flow clearly. If your gut says it's ER time..GO!

:huggy Hugs, you're doing great.
Someone on the forum is an asthma educator.. I'll look at other posts to see who it is.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:59 pm 

Hiebs the asthma educator who chats on the forum is momtobunches. I PM her for you and directed her to this thread to see if she could give you some proper information in this circumstance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:34 pm 

Thanks BC2007. You're reassurance is helpful! We've really only been dealing with then fact that he has uncontrolled asthma for 1.5 weeks now and we thought our GP had given us a plan. Unfortunately, we seem to be learning as we go, not knowing what we face. We've also had two different ways of dealing with this from two different doctors, so I hesitate to see one in a walk in clinic who doesn't know any history, at least until I know what I'm dealing with. That being said, I definitely won't hesitate to go to emergency if I feel we need to. On second thought, checking his oxygen levels ata a walkin clinic may be a good idea...

I've been pm'ing momtobunches on the CAE and I will be definitely talking to our GP about this week and a CAE when we get back. So far the ventolin seems to be doing the trick, and he's a lot better than a couple of days ago!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 pm 

Heibs, what a rollercoaster ride it is eh!! :huggy I agree with you that another dr's opinion on an asthma plan may be confusing. Are you vacationing in Canada where you are covered by your medical?
I had never dealt with or had any idea what asthma even was before our son's issues so you are not alone. That basically is what I wanted to say, you are not alone and I am thankful every day for this forum and thereby knowing I am not alone on this allergic/asthma journey.
Keep him on the ventolin and use it whenever you feel necessary. I'm sure momtobunches will be back to you soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

Don't wait for the wheeze! Our daughter never made a sound. She would be covered in sweat at night from the work it took just to breathe. :cry:

Tired, pale, blue tinged lips, skin pulling in between ribs and at collar bones when breathing in...this is well past the time to go to the hospital.

Don't beat yourself up. Asthma is not a simple equation. Each person is different.

Personally, I would I would take your child to the walk in clinic or hospital (can they do oxygen levels at a clinic?)

Look at an asthma action plan:
http://www.asthma.ca/adults/control/pdf ... an_ENG.pdf

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:45 am 

I agree that having people to talk to that have gone through the same types of things is definitely a big help. I feel less anxious already. Susan, it is good to know my instincts seem to working for me again. With the paleness and tiredness but no wheezing, i wasn't sure what to think. We are going to try a walk in clinic tomorrow. I assumed that they can check O2 levels, but I really have no idea, just like everything else!

His cough turned loose yesterday, and he didn't cough last night, the first time in months - hopefully that means that something we're doing is working!

I keep saying it... thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:09 am 
Site Admin

Mommy instincts are powerful! You know when your child is not his/herself even if you can put your finger on the cause.

You'll need to find out if the meds are at the proper dosages. Often, the controller med needs to be increased during an asthma episode-the clinic Dr will be able to advise you or at least point you in the right direction. I hope you can get some direction on this so that you (and your son) can enjoy the rest of your trip!

It could be that this is a natural progression f(you say that he only started his meds a week or two ago-it often takes 4-6 weeks to show improvement). You might also want to consider if there are any extra asthma triggers in you immediate environment. http://www.on.lung.ca/Page.aspx?pid=414

Post subject: Update...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:40 pm 

Thanks everyone for your input! We went to a walk in clinic and the doctor suspected he had a virus and confirmed that we were doing the right thing. We took him off of the ventolin yesterday and he's much better than earlier in the week. Now the rest of the people on vacation with us have all come down with something, which has confirmed the virus theory! I guess it really is a learning curve, it's too bad that it has to be so scary!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:09 pm 

Glad to hear he's feeling better. I hope the rest of your group are feeling better also.
Quote:
We took him off of the ventolin yesterday
We were warned not to remove our son from his yellow plan until he'd been clear for 30 days post episode. Be sure when you are home to go to your GP or contact and asthma educator to give you an asthma plan.
Enjoy your vacation!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:17 pm 

The doctor we saw yesterday said he only needs the ventolin if he's wheezing and suggested he didn't need it. No one has suggested he needs it no matter what when he's sick. We'll see what happens when we get home!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Ventolin is a brand name for Albuterol:
Quote:
Albuterol dilates the airways of the lung and is used for treating asthma and other conditions of the lung. Asthma is a breathing problem due to widespread narrowing of the airways (bronchial tubes). Airways are the breathing passages that allow air to move in and out of the lungs. These airways can be narrowed due to the accumulation of mucus, spasm of the muscles that surround these airways (bronchospasm), or swelling of the lining of the airways. Airway narrowing leads to shortness of breath, wheezing, cough, and congestion. Albuterol dilates bronchial airways by relaxing the muscles that surround the airways

So there is no need to continue. BC2007, I think you're thinking of the controller medication which is slow acting and helps to deal with the mucous etc. This is the one that is generally recommended you continue for approx. 30 days post episode.
I don't think a controller medication has been prescribed in this case.
Glad to hear that he's on the mend. He seems to be the canary in the coal mine for your travel group. It certainly is a learning curve. Foos allergies with the do not feed rule is fairly straight forward but asthma...not so at all. It will take a long time to really feel comfortable with it. Each new season will bring new issues (new triggers, new coping methods). Feel free to post about what concerns your, what you've found that works etc.
Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:21 pm 

Thanks Susan! That sounds right. :wink: Hiebs listen to Susan not me!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy You have lots of good ideas!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 pm 

Yikes, looks like I'm a little late to the discussion! My hubby took a long weekend, so we have been incommunicado. Glad you went to get checked out - like I said before, it's a long learning process. After I learned about the green, yellow & red zones, I realized that there were times when I went to the clinic in yellow ... but they never sent us away, because for us it was a learning curve, we didn't know which attacks were going to turn worse and we weren't sure what his triggers were... and shockingly, there was a time we took him in for an allergic reaction and he was having a "silent" asthma attack - the nurse showed us the indrawing and use of accessory muscles that we could not see because his shirt was hiding them. He did not appear to be short of breath at all, but his oxygen was very low - in the 80's.

Hopefully you can get him on some Flovent or something soon - it helps enormously!