You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Xolair
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:47 pm 

I got this e-mail which I thought I would share with you. I am very interested in following the studies involving xolair. I'm not sure if everyone else has heard of it. It is thought to be a possible treatment for allergic people, for peanuts and other allergens as well. Our family is not participating in the study...is anyone else considering it?

Dear Registrant,

We thought you'd like to know about a study being conducted at the University of Manitoba Health and Science Center in Winnipeg. Please direct all inquiries to the contact person noted below or forward this message on to others who may be interested.

We encourage you to also consult with your own allergist if you have questions about your/your child's specific situation.

For your information,

Anaphylaxis Canada

Dr. Allan Becker of the University of Manitoba and the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg, is currently conducting a research study involving individuals highly allergic to peanut, and an investigational drug Xolair®. Xolair is approved by Health Canada the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat moderate to serious allergic Asthma, but it has not been proven safe or effective in treating peanut allergy. This study addresses the safety and efficacy of this product in its ability to raise an allergic individual's tolerance level to a specific allergen.

While most allergic reactions to foods are not life threatening, peanut allergy is the most common cause of fatal or near-fatal anaphylaxis. Patients with peanut allergy may have a life-long health risk because peanut allergy tends to persist beyond childhood. Presently, the only proven therapy for peanut hypersensitivity is avoidance. This is not always effective, because the presence of peanut products in food is often hidden and thus unsuspected.

This study is a 38 week study which involves an initial 2 day food challenge, 24 weeks of subcutaneous administration (needles given just beneath the skin of the upper arms of study drug (which could be either Xolair or placebo) and then a second set of food challenges to determine if tolerability has increased. Patient safety is our foremost concern, so the food challenges are continuously monitored by medical staff.

We are looking for peanut allergic individuals, 6 - 75 years of age, interested in hearing more about this study. Because there is a fair time commitment needed to conduct this study, compensation for transportation and related expenses will be provided.

If you would like to find out more about this study please contact:

Diane Stewart, R.N.
Research Study Coordinator
MS793 Health Sciences Centre
820 Sherbrook Street
Winnipeg, MB
Email: dstewart@hsc.mb.ca
Phone: (204) 787-1444