You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 pm 

DD (6) is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and sesame. Before she was diagnosed as allergic (age 3), we often dined out with her and she ate safely (off of our plates), at Swiss Chalet, East Side Marios, various Chinese restaurants, Kelsey's, and Pizza Hut. We even ate at some Thai restaurants with her, and ate some McDonalds and Pizza Pizza and New York Fries. Now, looking back, we consider ourselves very fortunate that she did not experience an anaphylactic reaction after eating out at these places before we knew she was allergic.

To make a long story short, we haven't eaten out for 3 years. And when we have to (for extended family dinner celebrations/weddings), I will have our children eat first at home before we go and bring some safe snacks for them to nibble on.

DD(4) has never eaten any food in a restaurant. He is allergic to eggs.

Somehow I am wondering if we should try to eat out occasionally, if even just McDonald's or Swiss Chalet. Just so there is some more variety. I'm not the best cook. Just so my children can see other people eating in restaurants in a social setting, and not just inside a house? Not sure if I'm making sense. But I know it will be stressful eating out and I definitely do not want to put them at risk of an allergic reaction since they have already been through so much.

So my question is basically, for those who are dealing with the same allergies as us, where do you dine, what do you safely order, and do you always go to the same location? Also, how often do you dine out.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:07 pm 

We have eaten out 3x in the past 2 1/2 years ... all three times were just this past summer. Twice we went to Boston Pizza (same location) and our son ate cheese pizza both times. We also went to St. Hubert where he just had fries but they checked and if he had wanted chicken etc. it would have been safe.

Both places were wonderful. I called first, found out what time was best to come, they went over everything with me on the phone and in person once we were there. I took a zip lock bag with a couple lysol wipes to clean anywhere DS might touch (even though I still brought his own booster seat along).

It really was a treat to be able to go out to eat.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:26 pm 

Boston Pizza
Olive Garden
Tony Romas
Montanas
The Keg

We frequent all regularly (probably too regularly!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:41 am 

We still check ahead with the chef before going to a restaurant and go at a less busy time of day.
When the girls were little I also packed activities (sticker books, crayons, notepads, small books) and little snacks like fish crackers to make the wait for dinner easier for a little person.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:14 am 
Site Admin

We've eaten fries at McDonalds and most foods at Teriyaki Experience (but I'm sure they're laced with sesame!).

Other than that, we've only eaten at a few restaurants that are not part of a franchise chain. This is only after much communication with the manager and chef.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:27 am 

I bring one of those tiny containers of play dough....I don't bring it full, just enough to play with as I throw it out afterwards in case of any trace. In a little zip lock bag I bring a rolling pin or a couple mini cookie cutters ....and a dump truck to roll rocks for. This keeps DS busy until food arrives.

Ds has eaten McDonalds fries and New York Fries also safely.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:37 am 

Let me shed some light on a few non-chains

Duffs Wings
http://www.duffsfamouswings.ca/content/home/home.html

Very accomadating. The owner's daughter has nut allergies so they are aware. I was told to avoid the honey flavoured ones because there was a may contain warning on them, but all the others are fine. They have no nuts on their menu that I can think of.

Wild Earth Bakery
http://www.wildearthbakery.ca/

Nut-free, gluten-free, and they have some varieties of vegan (RE: egg free) cupcakes. They also serve lunch and breakfast

Sortiri's
http://www.sotiris-restaurant.com/

This is well worth the drive to Burlington. The BEST Greek food. Ever. No nuts on the menu and the only thing with eggs is the moussakka, which is avoidable. Watch out for the portions though. The dinner for 1 can serve three people easily.

I've also had decent meals at the Tap on Bloor between Spadina and Bathurst, and the various Firkin chains. As a rule of thumb I avoid food that would easily be cross contaminated; things that get thrown in deep fryers, etc. Grilled or broiled food is usually a safer bet. Nachoes are almost safe everywhere. You just need to check where the chips came from.