You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 am 

ok,at first you may go :frightened but as you read you will go :huggy !

I took our DS over to his little buddies house to play (the friend is almost 3 1/2). Normally we stay outside but it started to rain so we moved indoors. The boys were playing away when the friend goes darting off . He was SO excited and when he came back he held a package up to my son's face while talking away. I recognized the package without having to read it.. the green Nature's Valley granola bar with brown strip meaning it was a peanut butter bar. The package was closed but needless to say his mom freaked and dove to grab it from him. She was all flustered about WHY on earth he would go to the kitchen and get the one thing he knew our DS couldn't have. He looked all sad and finally explained all exasperated that he knew his buddie (my son) couldn't have it, he was so proud of the fact that he knew it was very very bad for his friend and he wanted to show my DS what it was he knew wasn't safe for him and that my DS couldn't have it as he was allergic to it. ...........still following!!! :wink:
His mom told me that every time they see the box in the kitchen she reminds him that our son can't have it and that he (her son) must never eat it when going to play that day with our son.

I thanked him for understanding what my DS couldn't have and told him that next time it was probably best not to bring it to him, but what an amazing friend to understand about his allergies and how dangerous some foods are for him.
So you see, an :frightened moment really was a :huggy moment.
If a 3 year old can 'get it' why can't most of our adult friends/family????

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Aww. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:15 am 

That's cute... :huggy What a great story

Kids do get it, they don't want to see their friends hurt. My daughter is very good, very protective of her brother. He was once offered an ice cream and my daughter quickly jumped up and said he can't have it. She was offered it and turned it down saying it would not be fair to her brother....she's 7!!!

Kids get it...now just need adults to get it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:08 pm 

I find the kids get it best if the parents get it -- as your friend obviously does.

This might explain why one of my grandkids would always bring out the pb when I was visiting. He never tried to eat it, and didn't ask for any...he just always brought it out and showed it to me. He was not very vocal - but maybe it was his way of telling me "I know you cannot eat this".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:34 am 

that is a great story! In general, I think kids are more sensitive to their friends needs than adults are.. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:36 am 
Site Admin

My 3 1/2 year old niece asked if dd was allergic to her gummy bears. I told her that I didn't think there was any of her allergies in the candy but that that candy may have come into contact with other candies that did and some allergens could rub off onto it.

"It's just that when she gets sick she gets sooo sick. She has to get a needle and go to the hospital for 6-8 hours maybe more.", I said.

"Oh", she said, "Maybe I should just go and wash my hands then."

"Yes, thank you.", I said.

I find little ones are generally supportive of each other when given the chance. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:27 am 
Site Admin

My niece is so cute! She wants to be just like her big cousin. Each time she eats something that dd is allergic to she runs to wash her hands with out being asked. She's given up drinking milk (she tried the soy milk but doesn''t like it)-we explained that dd won't get sick from her drinking milk and it's just as important for her to have the foods that keep her body healthy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:48 am 

That is sooo cute and thoughtful . :huggy
The advantage little ones will have who grow up knowing someone with allergies is that they will develop early on the 'it's no big deal attitude' towards washing hands, and taking precautions/avoiding certain foods around someone with allergies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:52 am 
Site Admin

I think that perhaps the generation which is going through the school system now will be amazing when they are adults!
They are growing up with the understanding that everyone has something to over come. They are compassionate and caring of others, and they see that they can influence the world around them to change for the better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:22 am 

The new generation of kids :bouncyblue
DS and I were standing at the school bus stop waiting for DD to come home from school. Another little girl was there waiting with her mom, she was 5 years old. She was playing with my DS and saw his epipen around his waist. Without blinking an eye and in almost a bored voice she asks me "so what's he allergic to".

:D To think that a child who just started kindergarten knows what an epipen is and what it means..WOW! Her family doesn't have allergies, she was explained that it meant at school in Jr.K last year. I love the fact it wasn't anything out of the ordinary to her, it was no big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

My niece washed her hands 2x when she got to grandma's house for dinner tonight. Then she touched a piece of chocolate and asked dd if she was allergic to chocolate and washed her hands again.
She told grandma that she wants an epipen belt like her big cousin. She thinks it would be handy for holding pencils. (She's in JK)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 am 

:huggy
Cute! DD is VERY lucky to have such a considerate and loving cousin.