You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Ontario Ministry of Education adds food allergies to the Grade 2 Healthy Living curriculum! :D
See page 97 "Identify common food allergies & sensitivities (e.g., to peanuts, treenuts, milk, eggs, fish) and the reactions they might cause (e.g., swelling, skin rash, difficulty breathing, abdominal cramps, vomitting, diar...rhea, coma, death)
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum ... curr18.pdf

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:51 pm 

It's also part of the grade one curriculum as well now and also comes up in the older grades (6-8).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Great!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Whew! I dropped dd off at school and showed this poster to the School Administrator. I told her about the curriculum revisions and mentioned that I assumed the teachers would be looking for resources to add to their lesson plan. I also thought it would be a useful tool for the annual school employee training.
I gave her the e-mail link and thanked her for her time.

As I left, I thought that I should pop by the sports centre across the park as dd goes there for swimming lessons and after school care. I also figured that the other students at the afterschool program come from the 2 other schools that back onto the park.....(you see where this is going don't you :roll: )

I spoke to the Program Director, the 2 other elementary schools, the local library's librarian (they also have an after school program), the high school and my municipal councilor's office (her office just happened to be there. She will send a link to all the local schools (I could go to the school board but that takes longer to trickle down). She suggested that I advise my MPP as she is working on allergy awareness righ tnow and would be very interested. I shall do that next.
Busy, busy day!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:09 am 

Way to go Susan! I cannot begin to imagine how many children you are helping with your advocacy.