You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Teen Death
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:11 pm 

A 15 year old girl in PQ died from a kiss.

Here is the french article:

http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/infos/regional ... 70118.html

and a computer translation of the article in english:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools

this is just so scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:29 pm 

:shock: That is so sad. The boyfriend must feel so awful.

That is definitely a concern I have for my daughters in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:11 pm 

That is so awful. :( That just scares me to even think about it.
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:19 pm 

You know, my husband gave up eating peanuts and sesame seeds because I do react when he eats them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:19 pm 

My Husband loves peanut butter and he also gave it up .I was getting ill from the peanut butter sandwiches also he eats no shellfish or fish/ nuts at all either.
I do agree with you all the news is translated and also is it totally correct?.
No matter what that poor family to have have lost their daughter. :(
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:35 am 

the translation's good. English news like Global reported this tonight... I got it in French last night...

I've locked myself at home for almost a week after a reaction last week... everywhere I go lately I end up 2 feet from fish and last week had a reaction (thank god only minor since the fish was way gone by the time I walked in!!!)... but I've been scared to death since last week... I was a little too tired lately and kept adding up mistakes... :shock: ... going back to work Monday...

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:37 am 

Mylene, I'm sorry to hear about your reaction! Are you reacting at social functions where people are bringing fish in spite of your allergy? That must be so scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Please see the info I just posted on the teen death under 'Allergies in the News".

Mylene, really sorry to hear about the reaction. Hope you're feeling better soon.

regards, Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:47 am 

That is a very sad story and truly tragic.

I hope you feel better, Mylène.

Post subject: Teen Death
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:47 am 

I want to share with you the article, about the Quebec girl, that appeared in our New Brunswick prov. paper. Quoted as follows:
[b]Sat. Nov.26/05 Canadian Press Saguenay, Que
Quebec girl with allergy to peanuts dies after kiss[/b]

[b] A 15 year-old girl with a peanut allergy has died after being kissed by her boyfriend who had eaten peanut butter.
The girl died earlier this week, a few days after receiving the kiss.
The teenager, who live in Saguenay, about 250 kilometres north of Quebec City, received a shot of adrenalin immediately after being kissed but did not recover.
The official cause of death was not released.
Dr. Nina Verreault, an allergist at the Chicoutimi Hospital in Saguenay, did not want to comment on the case but said peanut allergies are seldom fatal.[/b]
Not only was I saddened by the loss of another child, [i]but the way the Doctor worded [/i][i]her response[/i]. She could have said - Although rare, peanut allergies can be fatal.

I may be reading her answer all wrong; but when I read it I felt anyone I am trying to convince my seafood ana can kill me, may read this article and say - just as I thought, she is just over-reacting.

With all the work going on in this country to make people aware of our life threatening allergies do any of you feel her response was carelessly worded? I feel, personally, that a comment like that could effect how some people view the on going battle of peanut free schools.

My husband thinks I am reading too much into the wording, but it made me upset when I read that line. :x

I just had to voice my opinion on the forum. Thanks
susieQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:24 pm 

Thanks everyone... I'm feeling better... well physically at least...

Susie: first, I would say translation has something to do with the wording... but I would say that because of the number of deaths, a lot of allergists that I have met prefer to say "life-threatning" instead of "fatal". It does not push us back in our fight to have recognition of the seriousness of allergies as far as I am concerned (except for the fact that it's peanuts again!!! ...but that's just me...). Eveyone I know that have read this news story over the past few days had a thought for me after reading it which is more than they normally have for my allergy! (There's even a few jokes about the fact that I should not be kissing anyone if they ate fish... ) My mom makes a point of saying to everyone that talks to her about the story that that girl could be me one day if they are not more carefull when I'm around!!!!

Each allergy death is sad, but it is far from setting us back on our fight to recognize the seriousness of allergies... she still died from it!

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:45 pm 

SuieQ thanks for sharing the article. I am too far away to see what they would of said. This whole thing is just so sad. I do not know much about the french language but it must be very difficult to translate. Maybe that is why it sounds the way it does.

Mylene glad to hear you are feeling better, hopefully you can keep the fish at bay.

I have to close my eyes when I see the commericals for fish or shellfish it bothers me that much. I guess it is weird to do that, but it is me.

I do know this death has sent a bit of fear into my bones again.....

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:06 pm 

SusieQ, I agree with you on the wording of the reply. But news reports often take quotations out of context....maybe the words surrounding the particular quotation would have brought the message home about the seriousness of peanut allergies. Whether it is the reporter's editing or the dr's wording, I think it could have been worded better. Although as Mylene says, the thing that people are going to remember is the fact that Christina died.

Kelly, I hope that you're feeling better soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:30 am 

The youth at our church who don't know and I mean KNOW my daughter very well complain about not having pizza and things when she goes with them in a group. Some go as far as telling her she is stupid and over reacting. This really scares me. I am sure some of you have this problem as well I am just not used to dealing with it.

I know very little to say to my daughter about this other then people can be cruel. I know teens can be very mean so I am almost nervous about talking to the youth because they may cause her to ingest it uknowingly just to see what happens.

Sorry rambling but I needed to get that fear out after seeig those articles.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:35 am 

From reading your post, a couple things come to mind. Go to your clergy and talk about the situation. Seems to me that this situation is a fantastic opportunity for these young members to learn about compassion, empathy, community and social responsibiltiy.

Your concern for the safety of your daughter should also be discussed. Is this group chaperoned for all functions? Are these adults aware of your daughter's allergy and trained to handle an emergency? Also is this youth group known to be malicious? If so, perhaps a different youth group should be sought out for your daughter.