You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: To the US!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:26 pm 

I'm heading down to new york for 2 days leaving on monday, and I'm confused what I can bring in food wise. I was going to bring down 2 packs of safe cold cuts, but it appears that I can't bring meat across the border..

Am I right, or do you think they would allow it. If not, does anybody know dairy free cold cuts or tips of things to pick up in the US that are safe. We'll br bringing down plenty of snacks, but I dont' really want my DD to be eating only muffins and snack packs for our whole trip. Is the labeling generrally okay for certain american companies, i'm totally cluless. We've gone down for the day before with a packed lunch, but packing food for 4 for 2 days might not be too smiled upon. Any quick ideas? I should have considered this sooner, i'm really not as on the ball as i'd like to be..

Post subject: Re: To the US!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:51 pm 

When we have travelled to the US, we have brought a large selection of snacks foods, a couple loaves of bread (which I'll freeze right when we get there depending on how long we're staying), and things like pasta, etc. They have allowed some fruits and veggies onto the plane and not others, depending on their rules at the time, which I think change constantly.

I was told by the customs officer that regarding fruit, if I had left the 'product of USA' sticker on my apple, they would have let me take it through, for example. I'm really not sure about meats, though.

We always get a place with a kitchen, then do a grocery shop and buy fresh produce and meats at the destination.

What I found about packaged foods in the US was there was good labelling for 'does contain', as in after the ingredients list, it says 'Contains wheat and soy', but hardly anything had a 'may contain' label. I found this totally unhelpful - um, yes, I can READ it and know it contains wheat and soy, but I want to know if it was produced in a facility with nuts/peanuts.

Sorry, I not of more help. Maybe if you go onto a US allergy board, you can ask which brands are safe for you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 pm 

Here's a site that will hep you.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacat ... ricted.xml

We have travelled in the U.S. and find the grocery stores stocked with pretty much the same things as here. Just no french on the other side of the label.

Have a fun triip!

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:34 am 

Cauger,
I've travelled to the U.S many times and I feel pretty comfortable at their grocery stores. I have found they offer a little more variety in "safe" products. Maybe it's because there are so many more Americans than there are Canadians and therefore many more of them with allergies. I am 99.9% sure you won't be allowed to bring the coldcuts unless it's in a sandwich you made for the plane or something.
I find the labelling is pretty good. Although they have 8 top allergens while we currently have 11. When I went grocery shopping in Florida the last time I went, the lady at the cold cut counter even handed over the giant leg of ham so I could read the ingredients...they're pretty understanding!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

We used Hillshire Farms deli meats and Natures Own bread when we travelled south last fall.
Both were free from dairy. (check again as things can change)

Have a great trip! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:55 pm 

My friend sent me a link, and I should be able to cross the border with the coldcuts surprisingly enough, if they are in their package. Since I am crossing by land, it may be different from in the air, but the only place that poultry cannot come from is from saskatchewan, and obviously my product clearly says on the label that it is from Quebec, so I should be good. I'm going to print out the sheet and bring it with us.

The reason I worry about cold cuts down there is really the beef. A lot of companies use the same slicing machines for all their cold cuts, so I can't trust most cold cut companies at all! I have the receipts and everything, and worst case scenario, she wont have meat for 2 days, it's really not the end of the world.

I'm so looking forward to going away! It almost never happens anymore!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:59 am 
Site Admin

You can always purchase canned tuna or salmon when down there. I once purchased an electric skillet at Walmart while in the states and cooked in our room.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:33 pm 

I don't know about cold cuts, but I do know that poultry is generally allowed if you have proof of origin (i.e. not from sask. as someone mentioned) I'd avoid bringing beef. There's no guarantee that poultry from anywhere will be allowed at any given moment.

Some Ontario produce is allowed over the border as long as there is a sticker/label indicating place of origin.

Years ago, there were detailed rules we could access online. i.e. rice is okay as long as it is grown in the US (good for me to know). Now it is difficult to find this info.!

The last time I went to the US (this summer), the border guard asked us about the contents of our lunch and dinner. My mom who was driving at the time mentioned the fruit first....which prompted questions from the border guard (my fruit was cooked--peaches from Canada.) My mom was going to continue to list what we were bringing, but he cut her off. We didn't even get to declaring the meat. (I brought cooked poultry from Ontario. We saved the label + brought receipts.)

Take home lesson: start with the complicated food issues that you have researched well first. The border guard may not be overly interested in hearing about your lunch, and you may not even get to the question of meat :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Wondering how you fared... :popcorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:42 pm 

Bringing food into the United States
http://www.consumerinformation.ca/app/o ... nguage=eng

Bringing food back home into Canada
http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/toce.shtml