You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:59 pm 

My DH used to drink glasses and glasses of milk everyday. Recently he was complaining about stomach aches and gas, so I suggested he might be lactose intollerent. He switched from milk to lactaid and starting taking lactiad pills if he was going to have dairy. He felt better. But the last few weeks he's gotten so sick to his stomache he vomits. Last week we were trying to figure out if Starbucks gave him milk instead of soy, or sour so, or if he had food poisoning, or the stomach flu. He hasn't had milk (or symptoms) until today. He had a lactaid pill and milk in his coffee and now he's vomiting again. Could this be his new reaction to milk? Or a second stomach flu? Any ideas? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:54 pm 

Hmmm... this is very interesting. Sounds a little like what we are going through with my daughter. She has, up until now, no known allergies, the only person in the house to be able to say this. She has always eaten dairy containing foods and drinks milk. Recently she started complaining that he tummy hurt when she drank milk. So I switched to Natrel Lactose Free milk to find out if that helped any, it didn't. I have bought Goat's Milk for her and that also doesn't help any at all. She still gets a tummy ache. I am starting to think that she may be developing an allergy to milk. :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 am 

I have an allergy to milk and I get cold like symptoms and then GI symptoms. I tried lactaid several years ago and it made me very sick.

The way I found out for sure was to go on an elimination diet and be comletely off dairy (including foods with casein and whey - there are a lot of them) for at least 2 weeks. Now I find I even get a reaction with potato chips with dairy as an ingredient. You could also keep a food diary to help.

I suggest speaking with your doctor, as they can distinguish the symptoms for you and maybe give you some more suggestions. It could also be something else that seems to happen when he drinks dairy products. I know someone with a gluten intolerance and she originally thought her symptoms were from dairy products.

Good luck!

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:24 am 

I talked with my daughter's doctor and she is being tested for milk protein allergy.