PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Do you mean this one?
http://www.emsl.com/index.cfm?nav=Pages&ID=473

I think I'll post it under resources... :scratchy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:03 pm 

:huggy That was it - good visual! My you're fast.
:goodidea :thanksign

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

It's the coffee!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:21 am 

The city finally got back to me ( :scratchy ) and confirmed that they will be using dried legumes, pasta, marshmallows, rice crispy treats, chocolate and many other food items for their craft classes and kiddie science classes.

Now keep in mind these are craft classes and not the kiddie cooking classes??? :scratchy This is really cheaper than popsicle sticks and glue, paper, pom pom's etc.?

DS did however love the sports class we put him in, he started yesterday. I was talking to the instructor about DS's allergies, he was confirming there was no snack segment allowed during this class when another mom over heard. She let me know that she was about to take out nut snacks but kindly offered to wait until after wards to open them.
Ds had a blast. :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:47 pm 

Who are these moms who still bring nut snacks to public kids programs? I would like to believe that the mom's of today know how prevalent nut allergies (and allergies in general) are and snack accordingly. It was nice of her to put it away but really, why even bring nuts to a kids program? :scratchy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:16 am 

I've seen so many times that people forget that even if it's used to glue on a cardboard, or make a necklace, it's still food, and it's still allergenic!!!

I've seen it happen at my DD's daycare, that her educator used MILK Bones as a stamp for a dog craft project... She was in shock and felt really bad when I told her that "Hello, dog cookies can contain lots of allergens (especially MILK bones, duh), and they shouldn't be used for crafts!" Thankfully, DD is very good about washing her hands after a craft, and her educator is very good about cleaning up thoroughly, so nothing happened!!! But her educator never realized before I said that she was dealing with food... it happened with bird seeds too! :roll:

She's changed daycares since, and now I've asked her new educator to tell me in advance if she was going to used anything "odd" for a craft project, so I can possibly suggest an alternative, if it's not safe... Yesterday, she asked me if she could craft with leaves... so I guess she got the message!!! :happydance

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:05 am 

DS's sports/play class is going well, he's having fun just being around other kids. I tend to instantly notice sticky hands, not wiped faces or just kids who in general have the sniffles/runny noses. One game they played today was duck -duck-goose and I must have asked about 10x due to allergies to please touch his shoulder or shirt but NOT his face or head. Parents go with the kids around the circle so you'd think they would listen but every time a child came to our son I had to hold him back and ask again, please just the shirt not his face. :x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:42 am 

DS has asked many times lately to 'see kids'. He is loving the sports class but wants to go out every day now. SO., last week I dropped in at our early years center just to see. The lady I'd been emailing previously was there and she is just wonderful. So .....I went back 2x last week and again yesterday. I have taken him to a playgroup when he was younger and although there is always the chance of trace there wasn't an actual snack time during the group.
The early years instructor (I'll call her L) was just amazing, as soon as I walked in she let me know on one of the days that the play dough was home made but it was coloured with Koolaid and NOT jello, so I just avoided it. DS had an AMAZING time and never stopped for 2 hours.
L made sure we were ok and most of the kids lined up to wash hands for snack. L asked what would make me comfortable for snack time during my tour visit so she remembered to bring over a little table from the play kitchen area. I had a paper towel along to put down on the clean table for DS's snack. We brought his little table over near the other kids so he was still part of the group.
To see him munching away, legs swinging as he sat in a little chair, face beaming, well, every ounce of anxiety I feel (but don't show DS) is completely worth it.
For a kid who hasn't been out and about a lot he is very social and was (for a 3 year old) more polite and sharing than I had expected. :lol:
This step was just as important for myself as for him, maybe more so for me :roll: .
L has been just exceptional and I appreciate her efforts to make it as safe as possible for our DS. They will still use food items for crafts but she is very aware now of the fact that if they do to let me know asap.

The only issue I have had was one I had never thought of. During a song/story time the kids laid down on the rug pretending to sleep (during a song). One mom had her children sit on the rug to eat and there were crumbs which I saw ASAP but they were stepped on and ground in before I could get to them. I didn't allow DS to put his face down as his mouth would have been right on these crumbs. I realized that this is not just specific to this class but I need to bring it up in Jr.K next year, NO face on the floor!
Other than that, mommy and DS have had a wonderfully social week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Waaaay back when I was in kindergarten we brought blankets from home to lay on. Mine was pale blue with a white satin boarder and a fluffy white lamb. I think I remember picking it out at Woolco or Woolworths...man, I am old! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:07 pm 

I have one of these:
http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_tiny.php
that I have used in situations where I think that tables may be contaminated with allergens.

Unfortunately I don't use it enough as yesterday poor DD ended up with a big old hive on her face from touching a table at Starbucks. You would think I would know better! :oops

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:14 am 
Site Admin

I use 2-3 wipes to wipe down tables including the edge...eww, gross! They end up black in some places.

I always assume the clothes they swipe the tables with merely smear the allergen around and table to table.