Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:15 pm 

Reply to sesame seeds:

Quote:
They are on separate lines in the same building. We are required to make sure there is a less than 1% chance of cross contamination and we have never had an incident reported, ever. As I explained before, there is that much random chance of exposure to an allergen. I am sorry if you are not comfortable with this level of control. I know there are facilities that have only one line in a building, greatly reducing the cross contamination risk, but no one can ever 100% control it. I understand completely your anxiety but the only sure way is to feed him non manufactured products ie all fresh and prepared by you. It is the safest way in the circumstances.

I'm glad we have a clear answer now. I bet there are many products out there that are in fact made in the same building as other foods we eat which are thought to us to be safe. I guess it comes down to comfort level once you know what all is made where. The same line would mean an absolute no for me, same building.....coin toss I suppose. I do agree with her that random chance of exposure is everywhere, we have never had an issue with their bread before. I'll have to sleep on it for a while before feeding it to our son again though.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:54 pm 

BC, thank you very much for that additional information.

I've been eating some of their breads with absolutely no reaction. Like you, I think I'm going to sleep on it.

~~

I'm starting to feel sorry for this woman. She must feel quite harrassed today. :oops I also sent another e-mail, thanking her for her speeding reply, and asking if they would consider adding "may contain" warnings to products that are a risk, and also suggesting ingredient information be added to their web-site.

She said they are waiting for the CFIA regulations on that (my impression being they want to do it right the first time, it didn't sound like a "we'll only do it if we have to" kind of response, kwim?). Also, allergy information will be added to the web-site.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:22 pm 

I think it is a good when the company hears we are all liking their products - and following their production process closely. I think we will keep eating their products and see what happens when the new labelling laws come into effect.

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:16 am 

I also sent her a nice email back. I tried to explain that I'm really not crazy but that I must clarify certain things as they can mean very different things to different people, what separate means for example. I told her to pass on how grateful I am that they take the time to keep the sesame away from the general bread production......and that never having had an incident at D. bakery with cross contamination is HUGE and their efforts are very much appreciated.
I also let her know that many times after digging for further information it does turn out that some products/companies are sesame 'unsafe' . I explained that this creates a certain distrust and forces someone like me to really get clear answers before I am able to deem a product/company safe for our son. I too see that they really do keep those pesky, annoying, useless sesame seeds separate and I'd be glad to continue to enjoy their very yummy bread (and our son) !!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:10 pm 

I'm wondering how everyone has decided to deal with the bread from Dimflmeier bakery... are you still eating it? Ever since the most recent posts, I've not been purchasing it since I felt I had lost some confidence in the safety with sesame seeds, but am I overreacting?? Just wondering what everyone else is doing... whenever I see the bread, I think about grabbing a loaf...

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:14 pm 

Hi Julie, I still buy their bread but to be honest it I eat it mainly now and don't usually feed it to DS. I open the freezer and see their bread and my bread and for DS it is just so much simpler to grab mine knowing it is safe rather than guessing it is safe.
I'm sure it is fine but................................

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 pm 

We're still buying it and eating it...and they are careful to label warnings about other allergens

I see someone also has a sunflower allergy - I'd look into that as well since that is not a priority allergen for cross contamination...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:11 pm 

raising this.

I am still eating their bread. They have a new one (Viking, French stick) which we purchased today. I haven't eaten any yet.

I looked at their web-site....there is ingredient listings, with warnings for some allergens (soy and milk are two I noticed).

I sent another e-mail about sesame seeds and will post reply when I receive one. also, dh & I are planning to go to the retail store. Lots of other stuff there that we've never seen in stores and might want to purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 pm 

Thank you for continuing to post to this thread. I still really want to eat their bread, as I love it. After I last posted, I bought a loaf, and had every intention of serving it to my son (he has eaten it MANY times in the past, and has never had the slightest reaction), but in the end, it was just my husband & I that ate it. Our son has had quite a number of reactions in the past to other things, and I guess I've just lost my confidence/trust. Having said that, he NEVER reacted to this bread, and it's a great tasting bread, and I would truly love to use it again. Please post whatever you learn. Crossing my fingers for good news!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:33 am 

The last month our son has been on a kick of eating the dark rye toasted with Sunbutter. (and toasted it works great for when we eat burgers)
DS has had not reactions or problems eating the Dimpflmeier bread. :swing I have to say it really is great bread and I appreciate the posts about their other breads.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:19 pm 

retail store is out for us. There are sesame seed products there. They are produced in a different facility then the PRE-packaged breads available in grocery stores.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:17 pm 

About 1-2 months ago, the plastic bag labeling changes at Dimp. The light rye loaf used to say something like "may contain traces of soy"...which made me reason they would also say "may contain traces of sesame"...

However now the bag has soy listed as an ingredient and there is no may contain statement for anything. So I am unclear if this means:
a) they have added soy as an ingredient
b) they are covering themselves and making it an ingredient as opposed to main contain
c) the production lines have changed(or any combo of the above)

So I will pursue this in the very near future and post - and if anyone else wants to question them again we can compare notes