You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:34 pm 

My 16 month old son has been dx'd with an allergy to corn. Even tho his blood test was negative, he has failed two elimination diet challenges. My DH thinks I'm crazy, but even his ped said that she is positive it is the corn, as every time he consumes it he gets really cranky/crying/diarrhea/eczema/etc. She also said that children under 3yo are notorious for having false +/- on the tests. When I eliminate the corn, he acts like a different child! He has also lost over 2 lbs in just over a month. And he seems to be getting MORE allergic, as his reactions get worse with less amounts. He also has asthma and other allergies like grass.

I'm trying to figure out WHAT I can feed him. I have been to several sites like corn-freefoods and "living it up corn free". I have printed out the list of the 175 ways corn can be in products. But I can't find any children's pain reliever that is corn free?? Does anyone know of one?? I read that children's Advil was corn free, but when I called the manufacter, they said it DOES contain corn.

Anyway, I'm SO SO glad to have found other parents who are dealing with this too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:43 am 

Welcome, you've come to the right place, ELDI on the forum has a corn allergy and she seems to have the allergy mastered as far as what contains corn. Scroll down on the chat forum and you will find corn allergy listed individually. Be sure to post your message there also as I'm sure others have great advice and support to offer you specifically regarding corn.
:huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:42 am 

Hello Manymillers9

I am so sorry that your little guy has a corn allergy. It is a very difficult one to deal with! I hope you've had a chance to check out all of the information on this site under "Corn Allergy". It's normal to become more sensitive as you begin to remove corn from your diet. Most of us have experienced this. I have a theory that your body has a stronger mechanism to fight the allergen when there is less of it to fight.

Some of the main things to watch out for are dairy...yes...almost all dairy has corn in it now, even milk (the vitamins are usually in a corn oil carrier). I use unenriched goat's milk. Some fresh meats have been washed/sprayed with corn derived organic acids. Fruit juices will contain corny citric/ascorbic acid. Some fruits and vegetables are waxed/coated/gassed with corny stuff...and the list goes on. I have posted lists of corn derivatives to avoid and there are also some sites of foods that are "safe". Beware though...the safe foods can be safe for some but not for others...it depends on the sensitivity.

Stick to "whole" fresh foods and try to get your fresh meat and produce from local farmers. I do a lot of my shopping at a farmer's market where I can talk to the producer and find out how they prepare their products.

As for safe medication you will have to contact a compounding pharmacy and get something compounded free of corn. It can be done. Many people with corn allergy have gone this route with great success. Benedryl can be compounded corn-free as well. I haven't had to go this route yet. I use white willow bark as an alternative to over the counter pain relievers.

If your son is allergic to grass and corn he could also have issues with other grains in the grass family like oats, rice, rye, wheat, etc. Keep a food diary of everything he eats/drinks. I avoid all grains in the grass family and I do great with buckwheat (rhubarb family), quinoa and starches like tapioca and potato. I do all of my baking with these flours.

If you have any questions, please ask.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

You rock, Eldi! :banana :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:25 pm 

Eldi,

Thank you so so so much for all the help! I'm sorry you have had to deal with this too. This allergy is something I don't think I would wish on anyone, since it's so difficult. :cry:

I had not thought about the meat being contaminated with corn. Is there anywhere it DOESN'T hide??? LOL

I will get his ped to write a prescrip to a compounding pharmacy for tylenol and benedryl. His ped had suggested that I use the Feverall suppositories for his fever, since it wouldn't be going thru his whole system. I tried one, and his butt broke out in a rash and he had really bad diarrhea.

I'm going to look at the corn allergy threads now, and see if I can come up with a list of foods suitable for him (and me, since we're still bfing). :thanksign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:58 am 

Ask a nutritionist at your health food store about "white willow"? it's suppose to be an all natural pain reliever....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:07 am 
Site Admin

White willow is salicylic acid -similar to aspirin and not recommended for infants or children.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:23 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
White willow is salicylic acid -similar to aspirin and not recommended for infants or children.

Couldn't it cause a child to get Reye's syndrome?

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt