You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moxies.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:55 pm 

That's really too bad mharasym. I think some reastaurants/staff try to be helpful & honest by saying 'we can't guarantee anything'. I've heard that many people have had similar experiences when enquiring at Olive Garden, being told that EVERYTHING may have come in contact with nuts. The last time I looked into Boston Pizza they still have the peanut sauce for one of their pizzas, and I worry about cross contamination (our local BP is poorly run, so I wouldn't trust them to be extra careful).

I'm not trying to put you off your choices, it's great that you have places you are comfortable with. Just like you, I stick with what is familiar and has worked in the past. I do think that staff and management of individual restaurants is as important or more important than what the menu says.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:58 pm 

That's really too bad mharasym. I think some reastaurants/staff try to be helpful & honest by saying 'we can't guarantee anything'. I've heard that many people have had similar experiences when enquiring at Olive Garden, being told that EVERYTHING may have come in contact with nuts. The last time I looked into Boston Pizza they still have the peanut sauce for one of their pizzas, and I worry about cross contamination (our local BP is poorly run, so I wouldn't trust them to be extra careful).

I'm not trying to put you off your choices, it's great that you have places you are comfortable with. Just like you, I stick with what is familiar and has worked in the past. I do think that staff and management of individual restaurants is as important or more important than what the menu says.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:08 pm 

Chef Pearson himself emailed me back today thanking me for the letter I sent to the H.O.. I can tell he takes great pride in his kitchen/staff/food/service.

I really agree Becky and Mharasym, it seems that even within a chain some locations are exceptional and others not so much. I have heard people talk about great experiences with Swiss Chalet on this forum but the one near us I would NEVER take our DS to eat at. On the other hand our Boston Pizza was amazing, might make a difference that the owner takes allergies very seriously and he is there on site full time.
Glad we all have found a few safe places to eat and enjoy a meal out. :swing

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:42 am 

FYI - For BP, their Thai Chicken Pizza that they used to have on the menu never actually had peanuts in the sauce . . . .and it's off the menu now anyway. They have a great Allergen binder with all the information as well. At Olive Garden, my son enjoys their Pizza, salad and breadsticks. Pastas would be off limits due to egg. They also offer a selection of Gluten Free options, which is surprizing for a "Pasta" joint!

One thing I never ask for or expect is a guarantee. There are no guarantees in life. As soon as I hear that expression I get my backup. What I ask for is facts about contents and what I "get" is a comfort level (or not) of their responses and we go from there.

Your absolutely right though, what works for one person/situation, may not work for another. We can gleen from others experiences and see what works for us. And it's good we have some choices. It is certainly much easier now than it was 15 years ago! Much more awareness across the board.

Having dealt with this successfully for 18 years, I'm confident in the approach we've taken and based on the lack of reactions our son has had, I think we're doing it right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Went to a birthday party with dd last weekend (social butterfly!) at Moxies Bayshore.
The staff were very attentive. Apparently, the kitchen is peanut free-according to the waiter, Jason. They did a great job with 10 little girls and 3 tired moms.

I did get a glimps of one of the female waitresses- :frightened
Super tight black tank top and black hot pants...do they still call them hot pants?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:14 am 

I would just say something to them, maybe call and talk to the manager.
That is great that DD was able to eat out Susan. What did they make for her to eat?

To think I retired my 'hot pants' . Maybe I will dig them out and wear them the next time I eat at Moxies. :rofl :rofl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Well, since it was a pizza and ice cream party, I brought safe pizza and ice cream. I thought it would be too challenging for them on the spur of the moment given her allergens.

I would certainly try a meal there with her, they are wwe aware and eager to accomodate.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:21 pm 

Our last experience at Gloucester Moxies was incredible, so incredible I wrote their H.O. as well as sending in a thank you card to the restaurant itself thanking Chef Pearson the head chef and the staff. It turns out that they truly did appreciate my feedback as everyone who works there has heard about our son and just how much the positive, wonderful experience meant to us.

After our last visit to Moxies I didn't think it could get any better but it did. :lol:
It has been months since our last visit so when I called to ask about a good time to come in with our son I was shocked that the guy who answered the phone remembered our son and the exact meal. All I said was that the head chef had created a safe meal for our son and would he be working. The guy asked if it was the pizza made on the naan bread for a little boy with lots of allergies!!! He told me Chef Pearson would be off but we could come in at any time regardless who was working and they would happily make a safe meal for our son.

Well we arrived right at opening and happened to get Julie the same waitress as before. She as well as the entire staff had been told of our coming. I gave her the card the head chef gave us last time with the directions for how he made our son a special safe pizza. She told me that the floor manager and kitchen manager both were going to to kitchen to ensure our son's meal was prepared with all precautions. The manager and kitchen manager both brought our son's meal out, both wearing gloves. Before I even said anything the kitchen manager explained to me all the precautions taken to make our son's meal. The chef in charge said that DS's meal was prepared by himself and that it never left his sight. Then they asked if there was anything else they could ever do to make ds's visit safer, easier for us.
As we ate we were constantly checked upon and then another manager came over to say hi. He said that after I'd called Sat. the staff had then called the general manager. The general manager checked who would be working this morning and then he called this manager at home to give him the heads up. The funny thing is that they have even named this pizza invention the _____ pizza. Using our son's first name.
This manager checked again all was well with DS and his meal and asked what we used when we first arrived to clean the table. I said just lyol wipes. With DS's age and still touching his face I wiped the chair we used for his booster seat, the wall, the table etc.. This manager explained what they use to clean and then asked if there was a specific type of lysol wipes and that would it be more convenient for me if they bought a container of wipes and left them in the back for when we come to eat. I let him know this wasn't necessary but WOW the thoughfulness was amazing.

I would rather eat out just a few times a year and have it be a wonderful experience, great service great food, safe, stress free. I really did feel no anxiety today eating at Moxies. They said that many people with intolerances and allergies come in to eat and that they don't mind at all doing everything in their power to make the dining experience wonderful for everyone.
THANK YOU GLOUCESTER MOXIES!!!

Last edited by BC2007 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:39 am 

We just ate at the Moxies in Guelph and had a good experience. The manager brought my meal out, rather than the waiter, and reassured me that they had checked that my meal would be nut-free. I was pleased with that--obviously some communication going on, as I had only spoken to my waiter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 pm 

That is truly wonderful. I love Moxies, but haven't taken the kids yet. I should really give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:56 pm 

http://www.allergyeats.com/blog/

:happydance Allergy eats posted my submission about Moxies!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:09 pm 

mharasym wrote:
... Tony Romas, Boston Pizza, Olive Garden, & Montana's ...

When I saw you say that you eat out a lot in Winnipeg I was hoping for some new ideas --- had to smile when it was the same as our safe list! If you ever get to Stonewall - check out Pizza Den. The owners were great accommodating our allergies and pizza was yummy. Do you know of other non-franchise restaurants here that get it?

BC - wonderful, amazing service from your Moxie's! I love how you made sure that everyone knew of your great experience and that really appreciated it too! We went to Moxie's often pre-tree nut allergies and one time, her meal had one of her allergens as garnish and they took it back and brought a huge plate of fries to tide her over while they remade her meal. She wouldn't eat fries now but they were so good about it. We just may try it out :happydance

Susan - I am not a fan of the black skin tight clothing but must say it is way better than Earl's - I won't even go there because of the scantily-clad young women. Don't like that every server is a size 0... Not jealous but bugs me that my trim size 8 daughter could never work there.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:10 pm 

Just dropped in (just before opening) at the new Moxies by us, we are going next week and wanted to touch base with the head chef. I walked in and the manager at the front desk worked at the other location we ate at. He recognize ds and myself even remembering ds's name. Some of the floor staff from the other location has come to the new location which made me feel better instantly.
The head chef came out and had a nice chat with me. He told me his own 3 yr old has a milk allergy to which I said 'that's great' ...then added not great he has an allergy but a chef with an allergic child gets allergies. :lol:
This locations chef already had been contacted Chef Pearson and was aware we would be patrons of this location. I also found out that the founding family of Moxies has children with anaphylactic food allergies. Wonder if that is why they are so awesome!

All is good and I can't wait to go eat out!!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:13 pm 

Quote:
Do you know of other non-franchise restaurants here that get it?
I too find that franchise restaurants are the ones that seem to have the best track record..that I've read about anyway.. as far as allergies. Maybe because smaller restaurants are more ma and pop type places run by ( although great) cooks but not chefs? Or it could be just the actual room needed in a kitchen to prepare a safe meal which larger places are able to accommodate?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:21 pm 

BC - I think franchises' suppliers do not change as frequently as a locally owned restaurant would change and therefore it is simply easier for them to have the allergen info.

Pizza Hotline here in Winnipeg is also owned by a family who has anaphylactic allergies. They definitely get it!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next