You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 am 

hello!

My DD is anaphylactic to mustard, and I'm having a hard time finding information on spices.
I love curry and would like to use it in some recipes. I've found some that doesn't contain mustard, but it has turmeric. But I cannot figure out if the two are related. Also, anything yellow makes me nervous and I'm not a big fan of "try and see". Same for curcurma, cumin, etc.

Anyone know of mustard free curry or a good source of info on which spices/grains are related to mustard?

Thanks!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Check out this link http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/E ... htm#bottom
If you consider the botanical food family of mustard, the following are the foods most likely to cause a reaction:
Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Canola (rapeseed), Cauliflower, Celery Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Collard, Colza Shoots, Kale, Kohlrabi, Kraut, Horseradish, Mustard, Mustard Greens, Radish, Rutabaga, Turnips, Watercress.

Tumeric belongs to the ginger family; cumin is of the parsley family.

Remember that any equipment used to grind mustard may cause cross contamination to other spices. Call the companies you consider using first.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:53 pm 

I'm not allergic to other seeds or nuts, but can't have anything in the Mustard family. The only seeds I react too, with only mild stomach upset, is the white Watermelon seed if I accidentally swallow it. This is hardly noteworthy.

However, I did find online one family who has a son who is allergic to seeds, including mustard seeds, legumes, and most fruits. Any vegetable with seeds, must be deseeded. Seed Allergies still has very sketchy information online, as they mostly concentrate on the 8 or so 'most common seeds' that cause anaphylactic shock. I was trying to find a complete Seed List. I'm actually going to make this list myself, and eventually, post it online after I check the list out with some professionals for accuracy.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt