Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Halloween Treats
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:10 am 
Site Admin

Silly bandz are braceletts made of silicone. They seem to be all the rage here.
http://www.sillybandz.com/index.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:06 am 

I was at Shopper's Drug Mart last night. As I was waiting for a prescription I browsed the Halloween aisle. I came across Life Brand gumballs. The label had no warnings, so I mentally filed it as a "possibility" for my egg, dairy, nut, peanut allergic son. I then saw Cherry somethings also from Life and there was a warning. This made me hopeful.

Has anyone found the Life Brands good at labelling? Should I just buy the gumballs and call in? I'd love to hear your advice.

Thanks,
boys' mom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Just sent a quick email to Shoppers HO asking for their policy on precautionary statements. :popcorn
Will advise when they respond.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:18 pm 

Please don't forget that many times, different sizes have different ingredients.

That was our big mistake last time-DD had her stash in her room from last year- small halloween laffy taffy that she had been snacking on for months, then one day her brother bought a large laffy taffy and she asked for a bite - he agreed!!! she asked what he had eaten that day and then they decided that just to be safe she would bite off the other end. They were both thinking safety and wouldn't you know it - one of the very few times we didn't read the label. :banghead

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:21 am 

Wow Susan!! Thanks a lot for emailing Shopper's HQ :thanksign

boys' mom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:44 am 

I know these aren't shoppers brand but DS eaten the lollipops by Chupa Chups as well as Pez candies and Rockets without any incident...for his allergens they are safe. Double check of course if you are avoiding other allergens - The lollipops DO CONTAIN MILK but the rockets do not list milk or may contain for milk.
I like the lollipops (found at Walmart) as they are really tiny and all he needs :freak .

PEZ AND ROCKETS and TOOTSIE ROLLS

Both made by REGAL CANADA
Nut/peanut/sesame free/egg free

Chupa Chups lollipops

Tosuta Int. Langley, B.C.
Peanut/nut/egg free

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:54 am 

Thinking of treats. We have a brand new candy store which opened up in our mall's food court area. Not that DS is old enough to have too many candy type treats but when walking through with DD I realized there was not one item in the store which was basically ANY allergen safe let alone peanuts etc.. So the next time I went to the mall I took a print out I made of some allergen safe candy, with the companies allergen declarations. I figured if she was going to carry something have it cover as many allergies as possible. Nothing would be safe for every allergy of course but even a couple options would be great especially for older kids.
The owner was wonderful and laughed when I said I didn't mean to be presumptuous. She instead said it wasn't pushy, it was the act of a caring mom. :lol: She said she actually had been thinking she needed some peanut safe treats but had no idea where to start and she would love to carry a few safe items for people with allergies.

:swing

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:19 pm 

I found a package of double bubble gum that is safe for my daughter. In past years it had a milk warning and this year it doesn't. I believe that it did have a soy warning though. The candy is also labelled as being made in Canada which I like!

I find that there is so much more candy now that my daughter can have now compared to just 5 years ago - Life Savers (hard candy, suckers and gummies), Mike and Ike's (jelly bean type candy), Swedish Berries, Double Bubble, Nerds, Skittles, Licorice, Starburst and now chocolate bars too from Guardian Angel. It's wonderful!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

McDonalds has their sugar in little stick shaped packets. Maybe I can buy a box of these off them. Let's face it pure sugar is really all the kids want! :rofl

Unless of course they have an allergy to the type of sugar (beet/corn/cane)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:43 pm 

I found the bubble double gum at Walmart and was surprised that there was no milk in it too, since in the past it had a warning for milk. I also found some lollipops - which actually stated "Made in a facility free from eggs, milk, nuts, gluten" , and "necklace" candy that appeared milk free (as well as nut free, and egg free).

boys' mom