* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:15 pm 

Things like this make me so mad.
http://www.psd70.ab.ca/OurDivision/News ... hools.aspx

Quote:
Carolyn Cameron, principal of Greystone, Kelly Wilkins, Associate Superintendent, and Katy Rogul, a teacher at Greystone, are heading to New Zealand to speak at the ULearn 2010 Conference in Christchurch, New Zealand. They are one of only three schools in Canada invited.

The other two schools are both in Alberta as near as I can figure, one being Okotoks -Foothill School Division and the Calgary Science School.

Now I don't know about the other schools, but I think we Alberta taxpayers just paid for some pretty nice holidays for three people for two weeks. I don't think the conference was near that long.
Plus, wages for people to fill their spots while they were gone.
Our schools are full to capacity and we need new schools desperately and our kids are trying to raise enough money for playgrounds. :banghead

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:18 pm 

It is not uncommon for educators (&other professionals) to attend conferences, I don't think it goes against trying to improve schools as a whole in the province. As to whether those attending extended their stays, they extra time would not likely have been covered. Return flights, and accom during the conference would be the norm. Extra hotel etc would be at the travellers expense.

I do agree that priority and allocation of funds can sometimes go against common sense. But there are different 'pots' for different things, and a playground upgrade would not have come out of $$ allocated for professional development.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:53 am 

I know educators & other professionals attend conferences having attended a few myself. Having also attended a few other meetings in our province regarding education, health and politics, I've seen quite a few things that I have never seen in the "real world".
Quote:
it is “less like school and more like the real world.”

Having had to fight administration to get the teachers together so myself and my DD could go in to teach about her "special needs" and to be told by the public nurse that they (teachers & health professionals) are just too busy with immunizations to be bothered with a yearly meeting regarding anaphylaxis and having attended a P.D. day to do so at a school where they apparently had not been having any, epi-pens kept in locked cabinets and pictures of all kids with medical issues not being hung anywhere and seeing teachers perform skits and dancing with the principal just didn't help convince me that any of them know much about the "real world".

It also seems that they went to New Zealand to teach them about what we are doing here, so I am wondering how that will benefit Alberta children.

Maybe since we're re-vamping the education act and the health and wellness and we're coming out of a recession and our schools and hospitals are overflowing we should all rethink those priorities.
I know a lot of companies that have done a lot of slashing lately, but I still see alot of things that make me go hmmmmm when it comes to pulic service.

I also find it very interesting that all three schools that were invited are all from Alberta but yet they are "advertising" it as
Quote:
They are one of only three schools in Canada invited.

I also know about playground $. Our middle school was opened when my child was in grade 6, she's now in grade 11 and that same middle school still has no playground.

Oh, I know about the 'pots' too, our Board of Trustees Chairperson calls them 'silos'.

Michele

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 am 

Michele, I just want to say thank you, because everyone needs a voice like yours so the "little people" (not just children, but those that don't know how to use their voice yet- like me) can be heard.

Just slightly deviating from the topic... I sit on a few multistakeholder committees within my industry in Alberta for the environment and they typically work very well for issue resolution - even though it can take years to properly resolve an issue. Is there anything like that happening within the education system in Alberta? The committee / working group would consist of educators, student/parent advocates and government and would work to resolve issues that the committee members think need to be addressed. It is a consensus based system and it is voices like yours that make the committee work.

Anyway, I have yet to be introduced into Alberta's education system (besides my own education nearly 20 years ago) and I am really nervous for what might happen next year. My son is starting next year and does not have severe asthma or allergies at this point, but he will not advocate for himself if a problem does arise (we are working on it). All of the stories I have heard really scare me, especially knowing the cuts that are made to education budgets (phys ed, music, teacher education, in school nursing, etc...).

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:03 pm 

Thank Hiebs

That is exactly why I'm speaking out. I took too many peoples word on things only to find out they really didn't know what they were talking about and was horrified to find out the truth but covering their own butts instead. I hail from Rocky Mountain House - We've had a few outspoken women from that area so I've had a few good examples to follow.

The other day a very wonderful woman passed at the age of 90. Helen Hunley. If it weren't for people like her, Martha Kostuch, my home economics teacher Emily Ames and my mom (who mostly told me to shush and think before I speak - but I guess I'm more like my dad) I wouldn't be.

I also have realized that I'm the "people" that public servants work for.

When I was 16, I lost a very dear friend, just because someone didn't clear a sidewalk and we had to use the overpass road. She was hit by a car driven by a school mate out for a drive with friends.
If only who ever was in charge of that sidewalk would have done their job. The school mate was charged with manslaughter and his life was ended soon after. The rocks that are thrown into water have such big ripples.

Michele

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:14 pm 

Who's the teacher from Okotoks? Couldn't find it in the links. I know 1/2 the town, so I'm curious....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 pm 

http://centre4.core-ed.net/modules/page ... _key=83796

Quote:
Two of these teachers are part of the team coming to ULearn 2010 in October. Amy Park is teaching a Grade 3 (Year 4) class at Heritage Heights Elementary School in the Okotoks area of Calgary and as part of her inquiry approach does some fabulous work with her students on providing feedback for others, and Neil Stephenson is working on professional learning for teachers at the Calgary Science School and would be interested in a number of learning projects for teachers and their students in the Year 5-8 area of schools.

Michele

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:16 pm 

Continuing my rant.
Update: Be careful what you wish for. In our weekly paper- Grove Examiner

Big Time Donations -Spruce Grove MLA Doug Horner was in a giving mood Friday as he presented Community Facility Enhancement Program (CFEP) and Community Initiatives Program (CIP) cheques to five community groups.

I believe these "donations" come from the Ministry of Culture and Community. They get their money from us. One way or another we (taxpayers) pay. Now don't get me wrong, I think these are all great things...I guess my priorities are just different.

Gymnastic Club $100,000
Ringette Assoc. 25,000
Leisure Facility 81,723
Library Board 75,000
Greystone Playground 122,656

This is in my town only.Now, I'll go look and see what the Alberta Government put into anaphylaxis awareness in Alberta. I think I have it somewhere.

Michele

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39 pm 

So I was thinking of starting a new thread, but am just continuing my "rant" here.
This month our school division is hosting Dr. Gabor Mate. For those who haven't heard about him he is a speaker and seller of words (books). I find that although his idea of "parenting your children" is important, I find also that he is preaching to the choir (as they say). I wanted to find out more about him so I googled. What I found was a very interesting story by W5 on a "safe" injection site in Vancouver that supply addicts with needles. I hate when my tax $ go to stuff like this when I would like someone come and speak about anaphylaxis....and I get pushback. I wonder what he charges.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes we need a place to rant! :huggy
You never know, you may inspire one of us to do something about it.
If nothing else, it gives you a place to keep all of your information until then.
Keep it up! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:37 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
So I was thinking of starting a new thread, but am just continuing my "rant" here.
This month our school division is hosting Dr. Gabor Mate. For those who haven't heard about him he is a speaker and seller of words (books). I find that although his idea of "parenting your children" is important, I find also that he is preaching to the choir (as they say). I wanted to find out more about him so I googled. What I found was a very interesting story by W5 on a "safe" injection site in Vancouver that supply addicts with needles. I hate when my tax $ go to stuff like this when I would like someone come and speak about anaphylaxis....and I get pushback. I wonder what he charges.
This injection site business is gonna make me :verymad if it goes ahead in Canada. http://www.630ched.com/Blogs/BobLaytons ... D=10234900

Quote:
There is a lot of controversy over the safe-injection drug site in Vancouver. Is the site a good thing? Would shutting it down violate the rights of illegal drug users? The Supreme Court of Canada will hear these arguments this week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:36 pm 

Well, this is interesting, I have no idea what the law is on this now....hard to keep up, but when I found this over here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7225 I found this too.
http://ccla.org/our-work/equality/disability/ Back to the topic of safe injection sites.
Quote:
CCLA welcomes the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision. It is a triumph for public health policy in Canada and more generally for the duty of every government to act rationally in situations where life and human health are at stake

This subject makes me crazy.... I may be totally way off here but, in my head, I am weighting (libra) $ spent on helping druggies stay alive or kids in schools..... Oh, that's where Mate makes his connection... :banghead I maybe way off base here..

I knew I'd need this thread.