You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:17 pm 

Flaxseed is one of the foods I've added to my diet not too long ago. I've been buying Bob's Red Mill flaxseed and to tell the truth was not really wanting to know whether it was safe or not because my diet is so limited already. But this week I called the company. Turns out that their products are processed on the same line as egg...and nuts...(I'm not allergic to dairy but dairy goes through the line too). It isn't just that these products are all present in the factory but that they are processed with the same equipment. The first person I talked to seemed knowledgeable and helpful....she said they do take measures to avoid cross-contamination. They clean the equipment in between batches and throw out the first (I forget how many) pounds of the new batch. So it might be okay....but then again it might not be. :(

I hung up the phone and then got to thinking....maybe the product I buy (unground flaxseed) is okay because it might not need to be processed at all. So I called back, but I got a different customer representative. She said that the flaxseed might go through the same machinery as the nuts but suggested that I could rinse them really well :shock: (I don't think that these people are very allergy aware!) As she didn't seem sure about whether the flaxseed shared equipment with nuts (she said it might but not that it did) I asked her whether she could check for me.....she said no...that they do it differently each time (?)

So from this experience I take it that I should probably find another source of flaxseeds, and that I should call manufacturers particularly when the food is imported from the United States. Also, customer representatives don't always provide the same information and might not be allergy aware. (but then I think everyone here knew that already)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:27 am 

Lisa,

I buy my flaxseed from a company in Saskatchewan called Northern Quinoa Corporation. ( www.quinoa.com ) When I placed my order several months ago, the lady on the phone said they don't process any nut products. I also ordered wild rice, amaranth flour, quinoa, and there is more available. Surprisingly, their prices were very reasonable. Hope this will be helpful for you.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:51 am 

Hi, yes that is helpful--thanks! Bob's Red Mill flax is the only product I've seen in stores. I had a reaction to quinoa (I think--that is one of the foods I'm not 100% sure about), but I'd much rather take my chances with cross contamination with quinoa than with nuts or egg.