You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: must-have products!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:42 pm 

I found two products that will make my life much easier.....if they work (haven't tried them yet). Whenever I need to be away for a period of time I have to pack a lunch...and then have to find a way to keep the food from spoiling. So I was quite happy to find "The Premium Thermal Bag" which is sold at Whole Foods (in the Toronto store it is in the middle of the frozen foods aisle). http://www.thermasnap.com It is supposed to keep food cold/warm/frozen for up to three hours--no ice required. Sure beats carrying a cooler...and it should be safer than my usual strategy of putting an ice pack in my lunch (which only keeps part of the food cold). I kinda wish that the words printed on the bag were a little more subtle (they advertise the product on the bag)...but still this is a good find!

Another amazing product: I've been concerned about what to do in case of a power outage. Because of my dietary restrictions, there aren't very many manufactured grain products that I can eat. I really do need my stove! I went to the One of a Kind sale in Toronto this past weekend and found "the Omega Life Lite" advertised as the "world's finest survival candle." I can cook with it! Apparenty, it will boil 2 cups of water in less than 10 minutes. It's 100% beeswax so no emissions from burning petroleum products will get in the food. If it works, I'll take it with me while travelling. here's the website: http://www.philoxia.com They also sell Pheylonian candles at Whole Foods and at Noah's in Toronto. And the One of A Kind show is still on.

The other week I was also really excited to fine some bread that I can eat! Non wheat breads usually have soy or potato starch or corn starch none of which I can have. the company makes a whole range of products and they seem very allergy aware -- http://www.ener-g.com the bread is kind of dry and has a grainy texture but it tastes good toasted with loads of butter and jam. I must admit that my whole 'I only eat whole grains' act has gone out the window since the discovery of this bread. (toast is such a comfort food). And I've been downing alarming quantities of butter. Once the novelty wears off, I think I'd better eat this bread sparingly....it is kind of expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:06 am 

Lisa, please let us know whether that hot/cold bag works as well as advertised. If it's the same one I previously saw in a grocery store, it comes in a variety of sizes and we were thinking of picking some up.

As for power outages. Remember the big black-out a few years ago? We were away on vacation, but out oldest son was home. He took some chicken out of the freezer planning to b-b-q it, but our tank was empty. :oops: He had even invited people over for dinner - figuring the food was going to go bad anyway, might as well feed people.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that as long as you keep a full tank, a b-b-q can cook most foods too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:16 pm 

I was in TO during the power outage--I remember it vividly. I had just moved into my apartment--I was freaked out by the fact that the elevators weren't working (I'm kind of high up) and the water was shut down (the pumps don't get the water up that high when the power's out). My area of the city was one of the last to get power back so I was fortunate that someone volunteered to drive me to my parents'.

Having a bbq would be a good idea for the next place I move--but we aren't allowed to have bbqs on the balconies here. There *is* a bbq patio in my complex which is open in the spring and summer--I don't really use it because of cross contamination issues, but it would be an option as long as it wasn't the dead of winter.

I'll let you know about how the therma bag works--so far I've only used it for transporting groceries but sooner or later I'll try it for a longer amount of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:51 pm 

About the thermasnap bags---I haven't actually used them that often to bring to school--mostly I use them for transporting meat (in plastic bags) from the grocery store. One time I did use it for storing chicken and some other food---I don't know if I maybe didn't have the bag closed tightly enough or what, but the chicken was room temperature after three hours. The next time to be safe I packed an ice pack in with my food. That worked quite well---but it was one of those days when I was spending a lot of time walking around outside in the freezing cold so I'm not really sure.

So the short answer is: I'm not convinced that it keeps refridgerated food cold for 3 hours, but it works well with an ice pack + is much easier to carry around than a cooler!