You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: TGI Friday's
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:08 pm 

I'd like to share my experience with dining at TGI Friday's. I had emailed corporate headquarters to ask about the protocol for dining at a TGI Friday's with a shellfish allergy. I got a curt response that said "Check in with the manager on duty at each individual restaurant and they will let you know what they can do". I was a little hesitant to dine, but recently found myself at the Tampa Int'l Airport and I needed to catch a meal. The other airport restaurants had too much shellfish on the menu for my liking (and thus with too much shellfish in the kitchen increases cross contamination) so I dined at Fridays. I spoke to the manager before being seated. He went over the menu with me and the only shellfish on the menu (it may have been a limited menu since it was an airport location) was grilled shrimp. He also told me foods from the deep fryer were safe because their shrimp is grilled, and fish never goes in the fryer. He also said if I ordered an item that was grilled, they had a separate place on the grill for my food. He told me my shellfish allergy was no problem and they've successfully dealt with diners who have peanut and gluten allergies, which are more difficult.

While I was eating, he stopped by to check on me. He saw what items I ordered, he asked if I was experiencing any problems, etc. He was unbelievably kind and accommodating, so many kudos to the TGI Friday's at the Tampa Airport.

I hope that if anyone else with a food allergy that chooses to dine at Fridays gets an equally awesome manager and has a safe experience.

Post subject: Re: TGI Friday's
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:37 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your great experience at TGI Friday's. :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 am 
Site Admin

I love hearing about positive experiences! :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:27 pm 

We have been loyal to TGI Friday's for years. But last week, that changed. We went to have dinner, as usual (son is egg/milk allergic) and mentioned our allergies, as we always do.
They brought us a new allergen guide, which was great. Unfortunately, all our son would be able to eat was broccoli. Seriously. They had a milk and egg icon next to just about everything. Except the broccoli, oh and the shrimp. We don't eat shrimp regardless.

The manager told the waitress (manager did not come out to explain to us) that they had changed ingredients in barbecue and sauces, so yep, that's how it is. He/she didn't come out to talk to us, or see if they could make anything special, which they had done in the past, and do in many other restaurants.

I had heard Chili's was allergy aware, and saw their allergen information online, so we went there and happily had a safe meal. In the past, we might have just gone home, but our son is a teenager so this was a good opportunity to show flexibility. And a good reminder to us not to assume, and to always double check.