You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:07 pm 

The two-minute YouTube clip shows Dr. Stephen Duckett munching on a cookie and avoiding reporters' questions about long emergency room wait times after a meeting in Edmonton Friday.

Not sure where to put this.or how to post it, I google key words.

It speaks volumes and really worth a watch. I know just how those reporters feel and wish I had video sometimes. I can't believe we pay this guy more than $700,000 a year.

This was brought about last week after Dr. Raj Sherman MLA brought forward issues by emailing our Premier. Those of you who attended the conference open to the public with Anaphylaxis Canada might remember him. Apparently our good friend Dr. Raj, who is an emergency room doctor as well as Alberta Health Minister Gene Zwosdesky's right hand assistant, was just suspendend from the Tory caucus.

This is just getting crazier and crazier out here. :banghead

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the link Michele: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DxeCK5Ne_Q

I love the CTV reporter, no coat on, persistently asking the questions firmly but politely. He makes a fool of himself by refusing to answer what are important questions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DxeCK5Ne_Q

He apologized later - http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Duc ... story.html

But you have to wonder how anyone thinks ER waiting room issues deserve such la-dee-da treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

I hope he enjoyed the cookie.

He seemed smug and self-serving. Like he was talking to small children...except that he was the one eating the cookie!

"I can't comment now but will do so at the scheduled press conference..." That's all he had to say.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:36 pm 

Dr Raj Sherman spoke out - and I for intend to thank him for it. I've been poking around and the "talk on the street" is RAJ FOR PREMIER! I can empathize with him as well as having dealt with the health care system advocating for my mother. His dad has been experiencing some issues, I gather. I wish them the best.

A while ago, another MLA in Ft. Mac.spoke out about seniors and health care- he is now with the Wild Rose Party I think.

As a person that is fifty and one of the sandwich generation, I can certainly see why people are not happy here in Alberta these days. For all the talk of accountablility and transparency there seems to be a lot of other things going on. Leipert, the Minister of Energy(used to be Health Care I think) is being accussed of having a "secret panel of advisors".

I'm not sure if Mr. Duckett showed up at the media thing or not for sure, but talk is he didn't.
I keep hearing Bob Dylan in the background - the times, they are a-changin'.

Michele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 pm 

Dr. Sherman was on Rutherford this a.m. talking with Roy Green (Dave's out for awhile). He sure speaks from the heart, very different here. Lots of support.

Very interesting, btw, he says the rest of Canada is looking to Alberta to see how things are handled here. Haven't I heard this before?

On a related note, he would get the anaphylaxis thing.

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:16 pm 

Mr. Duckett has been "let go" and now people in Alberta are being reminded that the Minister of Health, Gene Zwozdesky, is in charge. :frightened

Maybe they should keep that quiet.

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:10 pm 

Gene Zwozdesky is on with Roy Green on the Dave Rutherford show among many other today.
His discussion reminds me very much of how anaphylaxis was handled back in 2005.Anyway,he wants imput - or "mouthpieces" as he called them - but not paid - volunteers. That sounds like me, so I sent an e-mail. I have always got a response from Roy, so I sent my message through him.

Quote:
The Minister of Zwoz might remember anaphylaxis as a education matter and now maybe a health matter. Would have loved to have been on the advisory board for that w/the Alberta School Board Association regarding a "policy advisory" not a LAW, but they don't get a hold of the biggest stakeholder, so now I'm an advocate or "mouthpiece" . I've been called worst
oh dear, I should have checked my spelling and grammer. Oh well.
Maybe he should put Dr. Sherman in Ducketts place?

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:32 pm 

http://www.630ched.com/Blogs/BobLaytonsBlog/Home.aspx

:rofl Check this out. He'll be on the news tonight singing it, I'm sure.

Michele

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:11 pm 

Oh my, Dr. Raj Sherman is on the radio now 630 ched. Now his caucus is calling him crazy!

Michlele

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:17 pm 

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDAR_f ... ll-017.pdf

The above is proposed new provincial health act (I think) put forward by health minister Gene Zwozdesky. Between this and emergency waiting times, and the awaiting of our new provincial education act its a very busy place here in Alberta.

I'm not sure how this all affects allergies in schools but since it's been an issue for along time and the Alberta Government thinks the way things are now is fine makes me :frightened .

Michele