You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:51 am 

What can I do when I have cravings... I do remember the taste!!!
When I was 16, I developped an allergy to raw celery... I am now almost 48, I haven't had celery since.
When I turned 30, within a year, I developped many allergies... bananas being the worse (it is very severe and no, I am not allergic to latex), pineapples, kiwis, cherries, peaches, pears, plums, zuccini, apples, honey, nuts...
Sometimes, I crave for certain of these fruits. I can have them if they are cooked/baked (but NOT the banana: I cannot be in the same room as the fruit, I can feel my lungs close up and my pressure drops!) but I miss these fruits at their raw state. Crunching into a crispy McIntosh or cutting a ripe golden pineapple (ouch, it burns!)...
I find it terribly difficult sometimes to avoid these beautiful fruits but I must... I tend to leave the room if someone is eating any just because I want it that bad.
My heart breaks and I feel cheated...
What can I do???
I've been consulting with an immunologist and all he has to say is: I don't know why this is happening. Just make sure to have your epipen at all times.

I miss my fruits! Any suggestions?? Please help!
Renee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:21 am 

I know what you mean, and feel your pain. I too am adult onset allergic (within the past 4 years) to many fruits, and and can't even have them cooked. For me, the best thing is to find that ONE favourite fruit that I can still have and have a big juicy bit of it. Course, that list is quite limited, but it's the best I can do considering this is my list of NOTS: (all anaphylactic in both raw and cooked states) - Potatoes, tree nuts, Kiwi, Strawberries, apples, pears, ALL Pitted Fruits (ie peaches, cherries, plums), pumpkin. Needless to say, the holidays are NOT the same in our house without the pumpkin pie or mashed potatoes. For me the spud cravings are the worst, and I can't be in the same room as cooking spuds or a bag of potatoe chips without feeling my lungs starting to close up. Adding adult onset asthma to the mix has only made certain things worse.

Truely, I do feel your pain, and I do know what you mean. Sometimes I keep a safe stash of chocolate on me to make me feel better. I figure if someone is going to kavitch about me eating chocolate, I'll just tell them to bite me - cause at least *this* chocolate I have won't kill me, but the fruit platter at that pot luck very likely could!

Dawne

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:09 pm 

Thank you Dawne for your reply... I now know for sure I'm not the only one in this mess... how did we get here??? Even though you had no real solutions to offer (I love the chocolate reward!!!), and I don't think anyone would, in some way, it helps to know that we have something in common. I wish you luck with the holidays coming up, I know it's hard. Take care and we'll talk some more later on. Happy holidays and have lots of chocolate, you deserve it!! Renée

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:54 am 

Thanks for asking this question, because its a question I must find a solution to so I don't go nuts at christmas time. We just came to the realization a few hours ago, that I can't have the Lefse this year unless we figure out a GF version. Using soy for milk was the easy part. However, EF and GF is the issue, as I can't have even a tiny amount of banana either. I don't go into shock. Instead it makes my intestines stop working properly and I became instantly constipated even if previously I had diarrhea.

In a thread elsewhere, I read about food rewards. So, what follows will be my brain storm of what might help deal with cravings...

1) Buy and bring with you your favorite dark chocolate from Europe (for me, this would mean buying online). The trick is to find that one food that you prefer OVER the fruit or whatever you are craving.

2) Making your favorite dish and eating it when cravings hit.

3) Always carry with you your favorite allowed fruit, thats your favorite and dipping it in your fave chocolate, or eating it with your fave chocolate. This I must do for Xmas this year. It will definitely help me stop missing the pie.

4) Bring your fave snacks, if any. I find that the crunch of the tostido chips helps me deal with the snacks they serve that I can't have.

5) Instead of mashed potatoes: Try mashed Zucchini or squash, if allowed. Fortunately, I can have potatoes, but I'm going to do this, as I need to get more Zucchini in my diet. Perhaps with mushrooms?

What do I crave most? Anything they are eating, whether I like it or not. I think that this is more due to not accepting my food restrictions (specifically GF) then any real craving.

6) GF Noodles with DF, EF alfredo sauce with Tofu, Mushrooms and Red Bell Peppers.

Okay, now I think I have came up with all the solutions that may work for me. Hopefully, you might find this useful too.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:11 am 

I have a weakness for Cake and pizza. Ive been GF for 8.5 years and still miss those two things. Know what i do? I splurge and treat Myself to a GF version! If i cant find one, i'll cook something close to it or buy myself another favourite treat i usually dont eat.

Maybe treat yourself to something you dont eat often?