You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:02 pm 

Here is a copy of my addition to the wonderful letter you wrote Gwen. :thanksign so much for doing what you do. :huggy :thumbsup

I had to do a lot :roll: of editing but got it down to 1 character left.

Quote:
Parents of children w/life-threatening allergies would have a lot less to learn& teach their children & their care-givers.My family has lived with anaphylaxis due to an egg allergy for more than 16 years.Egg is so much easier to learn and look for than albumen,lecithin,or words begining with ova & ovo.Given that in Ab,many people in the education system don't have knowledge of anaphylaxis or have 1st aid tickets we can use all the help we get here in your home province.Unlike Ont.we only have a"policy advisory"not"Sabrina's Law". Also,our emerg.depts.are full.We sat approx.2hrs in the waiting room last spring in Stony Plain after administering an epi-pen.Wondering if Mr Danyluk Min.of Infratructure,had the same experience last fall?Our risks are great already here and sadly many times someone dies prior to attention paid.Please help by lessening the risks.You know,there is so much to learn when you are a new parent,and when your child's life is in danger every time they eat, I'm sure you can imagine the relief this legislation would bring to anyone who loves someone with food issues as well as the people who are afflicted As an advocate for anaphylaxis awareness in Ab schools thx.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Great job, Michelle. And thanks for kind words.

Thought 250 words would be lots - sorry, though, if we cramped your style!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Kate, Outstanding job with the reporter from the sounds of things.

Yes, momentum is definitely happening since we launched the more 'official', easy-to-follow campaign today - http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/

Timed to link from Allergic Living's e-NewsReport today. And now Anaphylaxis Canada has weighed in with an e-blast urging people to join our campaign, too!

We're updating progress on the new campaign here: http://allergicliving.com/forum/viewtop ... 481#p34481

The pressure is on. Let's keep it up everyone, it's how we will eventually carry the day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm 

Our newspaper story is now posted online. There are a few details which were somewhat mixed up - her reaction which landed us at the ER was not in response to an airborne allergen. She did react once at the Bulk Barn with mild symptoms. Her full blown reaction happened at 3 years at home. A few sensational phrases "death's door" - which were not my words for sure but on a whole it gets the message across that we need better labelling. I hope so anyways.

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/Arti ... ?e=2857581

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:19 pm 

Great job katec!

By the way, does anyone know if only one person per address can write in on the A.L. form letter. I sent in one letter under my name so does that mean I can't send in another with my husband's name?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:59 pm 

:bouncyblue :happydance Great job! :huggy I think I will forward a copy of this story to the journalist who did the piece on things here in Alberta. Maybe he'll call again?

I really like the part about advocating.

Michele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:32 pm 

This thread is kind of split in two (Allergies in the news and here). I just realized this was here and the numbers sound amazing!!!

I posted this question on the other thread but I'll post it here too.

Does anyone know if only one person per address can write in on the A.L. form letter. I sent in one letter under my name so does that mean I can't send in another with my husband's name?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

I've merged the two threads.
Re: how many people per household...I think that each person can have a voice.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Travis just amended to ensure that more than 1 can be sent from same address.

One qualifier: so that our campaign has maximum credibility, we do ask that only one letter per individual.

Pardon me if that seems obvious, but worth mentioning just to be clear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:30 pm 

Thanks Gwen, I wondered why I couldn't send in one for my husband yesterday. Thought it was me. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:31 pm 

Well, darn :damnedcomputer Okey, I know it's me.

I see that I sent my letter without my comments. And I worked so hard on them. I am oh so glad I posted them here.

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:09 pm 

I have been contacted by Ontario Today - morning CBC radio show - to discuss the food labelling legislation. The producer found the article in the local newspaper and he also has a child with a nut allergy. I will be interviewed one morning next week. I will let everyone know when the time is confirmed. I am more than a little nervous but it will be a good opportunity to get the word out there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

That's great, Kate. You're always so well-spoken on allergy issues.

Try to mention that if any listeners are interested in joining the campaign for clear labels, there's an online campaign at Allergicliving.com

(fyi, it's now easily findable from the homepage.) We need all the letters we can get to grab the govt's attention.

Best with it.

By the way people - over 1,800 letters now - need to get it up closer to 3,000, even 4,000. So keep spreading the word. And thanks much for doing so! :thanksign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:49 pm 

Thanks Gwen! I'll be on tomorrow morning at around 7:40 (unless there is some other breaking news..) I'll definitely try to remember to mention the online petition. I am going over things in my head today and have printed information from AL and Anaphylaxis Canada sources.

After this interview is over I will put a link on my husband's status update on Facebook regarding the online petition and start getting the word out to our family and friends.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:02 am 

Well I'm glad its over! I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to mention Allergic Living. The time literally just flew by. I didn't even get a chance to talk about component ingredients either to fully explain the labelling problem. The last question kind of threw me somewhat. I had anticipated most of the questions but the way the last one was phrased surprised me. The follow up email makes me wonder if I got my point across. I tried my best!
I did ask CBC to provide a link to Allergic Living's campaign on their website.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next