Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bread Machine recipe
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Here is a bread machine recipe that works well for us.

1.5 lb Loaf

1 1/3 cup water
3 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup whole wheat four
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp quick-rise yeast

Place the first 4 ingredients in the pan. Scatter the flours on top so that they float. Make a well and place the yeast in the well.
We cook on the whole wheat setting and use the light crust colour. (I think our machine is quite hot)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:17 pm 

I can't wait to try this recipe. I just got a bread machine a month ago and I am LOVING IT. I don't know how I could have gone this long without one.

I'm making some great pizza crusts and tortilla shells with my bread machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:54 pm 

Can you share the tortilla shell recipe please?
Thanks!

Marla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:48 pm 

Hi there.

Here's the recipe for bread machine tortillas.. Enjoy!

Bread Machine Tortillas

3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons shortening or lard* (I have soy allergies so I use olive oil or butter)
1 cup hottest tap water

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in bread machine. Cut shortening into pieces about the size of olives, and drop in.

Start mix cycle and slowly add tap water. Let cycle run five or six minutes, then stop machine.

Remove dough from bread machine, cover with a warm wet towel and let sit for 15 minutes, so dough can relax. (Do not skip this step or dough will be difficult to form into tortillas.)

Pinch off egg-sized pieces of dough and roll into balls. Use a rolling pin to roll them into thin rounds.

Heat a dry cast-iron skillet to medium. Transfer tortillas to skillet and cook until spots on the bottom are dark brown. Flip tortillas and cook on second side until spots are dark brown.

Serve immediately. Keep warm in the folds of a kitchen towel if necessary.

Makes 8-10 tortillas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:57 pm 

Thanks TMcG, I always wondered how to make tortillas!!!

I made bagels for the first time the other day from this recipe

http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/BagelsII.asp

I used whole wheat flour. My oldest daughter loves them. The youngest thinks they are wierd and won't try them... yet...she is 3, thats what 3 year olds do :wink: . Hopefully she will come around soon. They are a nice addition to our meal times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:55 pm 

I just borrowed an amazing Bread Machine Recipe book from my Mom and think I'll go and buy it now. I've made a multi-grain bread that turned out really nice - our favorite one so far. And I just made bagels today! DH & I haven't had a real bagel in SO long. They were delicious.

The cookbook is called Easy Bread Machine Recipes by Rob Wanless and most of their recipes include the measurements for 1, 1 1/2 & 2lb machines. I also read that some of the breads can be made with fruit juice.

Multi-Grain Bread for a 2lb loaf

2 1/2c all purpose flour
3/4c oats
3/4c whole wheat flour
3/4c water
1c milk
3Tbsp bran/bran flakes
2Tbsp honey
3Tbsp wheat germ
2tsp salt
2Tbsp butter
2 1/2tsp yeast

Load and bake on regular setting.

Bagels (large batch for 1 1/2 or 2lb machine)

5c all purpose flour*
2tsp sugar (or 1Tbsp of malt)
1 3/4c water
2tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast

* Replace 1Tbsp of flour with gluten, if you have it

Topping (I skipped this and it was still good)
1 egg, beaten with 2tsp water & a pinch of salt
poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or pretzel salt (optional)

1. Load the brad pan of the bread machine with the ingredients, except the toppin. Select the dough cycle & start machine.

2. When the dough is done, either let the dough rest in a greased bowl for 10min or keep it in the refrigerator to chill for a hal-hour. It will be even easier to use.

3. Divide the dough into 12-15 portions. Put a little flour on your hands; then flatten and stretch each portion on a lightly floured surface. Stick your finger in the middle of each and stretch it into a circle with a 2" hole in the middle, turning the dough so the inside of the circle is on the outside.

4. Place the bagels on waxed paper sprinkled with cornmeal. Spray water on top, and let them rest in a warm place for 30min.

5. Bring 3quarts of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, making sure the water is still boiling when you place the bagels into it. Cook 3-4 bagels at a time for 1min on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.

6. Place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal; brush them with the egg and water topping mixture. Sprinkle them with poppy or sesame seeds, or leave them plain if you prefer.

7. Bake in a 475F (245C) oven for 20 min, or until crusts is golden brown and crisp.

I made them with whole wheat flour & skipped the topping (and cornmeal since I didn't have any) My DH is asking when I'm making them again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:09 pm 

Susan, I finally made your 1.5 lb bread recipe the other day, and it was DELICIOUS! I absolutely loved the taste of this bread. My machine is designed to make 2 lb loaves, so the bread didn't look the best (it had an outside crust that rose about a half inch higher than the sunken loaf - wierd! But the bread was SO GOOD, I would like to adapt the recipe for a 2 lb loaf. I realise you can't just add 25% of everything and expect it to turn out the same. Does anybody know how to go about this? I was thinking of just contacting Fleishman's to ask.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:31 am 

I made this recipe for buns and it turned out great. Would be great for Hamburger buns (we used them for sloppy joes) I didn't bother with the topping since we are dealing with an egg sensativity and sesame allergies but they were still good. I also used a mix of whole wheat & white flour.

Sandwich Rolls (or Hamburger Buns, or Hot Dog Rolls, or...)

Large Batch (1, 1.5 & 2lb bread machines)

3/4c water
1/2c milk
1 1/2TBSP butter
1 1/2TBSP sugar
1 1/2tsp salt
3c bread flour
2tsp yeast

Topping (all sizes)
1 egg beaten + 2TBSP water and a pinch of salt
3/4TBSP poppy or sesame seeds (optional)

1. Load the bread pan with all ingredients except the topping. Select the dough cycle and start the machine.
2. When the beeper sounds, remove the dough to a bowl; cover it with plastic wrap and rest in fridge until needed; or empty the dough onto a floured surface and let it rise for 5 - 10min
3. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball. Flatten each ball to about 1/2 inch thick with the palm of your hand, stretching it from the middle to the edges. Put the flattened balls on a cookie sheet that is greased or has cornmeal sprinkled on it. Leave space between the circles for the dough to expand as it rises,
4. Sprinkle water on top. Let the dough rise in a warm place until nearly doubled (45min usually).
5. Brush the rolls with the beaten egg & sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds if desidred. Bake at 350F oven for 20min or until golden brown. Let the rolls cool before slicing.

Variations:
Hot Dog Buns: Shape into a long oval shape instead of the round shape.
Steak Sandwich Buns: Shape into a long, wide oval

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Bump :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:37 pm 

Here are three pretty simple recipes that came with my bread maching that we used to use all the time (until we found some safe store-bought breads). Our machine is a Black & Decker B2005 unit that can make 1.5 lb or 2 lb loaves. They all originally called for powdered milk but I just ignored that because of our allergies so haven't included it here.

Rapid Basic White
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter or margarine or oil (e.g. canola oil)
3 1/4 cups white bread or all-purpose flour
2 tsp yeast

1. Measure ingreds in order listed into baking pan. Make sure the yeast doesn't touch the liquid - that's a tip I picked up somewhere.
2. Put baking pan into unit and close lid.
3. Select the following:
- RAPID setting
- 1.5 lb. loaf setting
- either LIGHT or DARK crust setting (we always chose DARK because LIGHT made the bread seem not quite cooked!)
4. Push the START button and away you go.
In our machine the total baking time was 1:58 hours.
5. Allow to cool before slicing.

Classic French Bread
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
3 2/3 cups white bread or all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Same instructions as above except for ...
3. Select
- FRENCH Bread setting
- 2.0 lb. loaf setting
- either LIGHT or DARK crust setting

In our machine the total baking time was 3:45 hours.

Oatmeal Bread
1 1/4 lukewarm cups water
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp molasses
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp butter or margarine or oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups white bread or all-purpose flour
1/3 cup oatmeal, quick cooking
1 3/4 tsp yeast

Same instructions as above except for ...
3. Select
- GRAIN setting
- 2.0 lb. loaf setting

In our machine the total baking time was 4:10 hours.

K.