You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:12 pm 

My daughter has had diarhea since January. I suspect a food intolerance but have no Idea to what . Where do I start? The doctors are no help with this one aside from testing her for a possible virus. She has never had this kind of reaction before, it has always been hives or itching or swelling so I am at a loss and will continue on the road of eliminating foods one at a time like we did when she was an infant. I suspect chocolate and that is the next I am avoiding. Are there some foods more likely to do this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:54 pm 

1) Recommend a simple blood test for Gluten intolerance. She has to eat gluten that week in order for the test to be most accurate. Gluten intolerance has been known to cause diahrrea

2) Here is how I did the elimination diet. Its similiar to yours, but I found it easier as I started with the "knowns".

"You" here, means "whom ever is doing the diet". :wink:
What you do is start with 1 food that you know does not cause issues, and be sure that no reaction is had. Then slowly, every 3 days or so add 1 new food or spice, until you find all the foods that you find some reaction too. I'd do an online search for the exact method, as it would be more acccurate, as I've not done this in over 2 years. I think its every 3 days, but can't remember for sure. Also, there is something you do if theres a reaction, but I can't remember the specifics beyond the obvious - removing the object from diet. Its something about waiting a period of time before you add another new food.

Hope this helps.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:19 pm 

Turns out it was chocolate. It was hard to believe because she had been eating chocolate for a whole year before reacing to it. Later it happened with apple juice. All is well when you know what to avoid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:12 am 

Evelyne wrote:
Turns out it was chocolate. It was hard to believe because she had been eating chocolate for a whole year before reacing to it. Later it happened with apple juice. All is well when you know what to avoid.

I'm very glad that is was NOT gluten! Chocolate is a much easier food allergy to avoid. :D
Congrats on getting that solved. :happydance

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Dd can only tolerate the low acid aple juice and is limitted to 1 glass per day.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb