You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: No church? Anyone else?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 pm 

My enviromental allergies as I call them envolve perfumes, cleaners, laundry soap, shampoo's candles air freshioners .... you get the picture.

Anyway, I can't go to church anymore. The minute I walk in my face itches and then I get hives and heaven forbid someone hug me with perfume on I start to wheeze unless it is very heavy and then I wheeze as they walk by.

It has become so bad I have a protable nebulizer. I just don't go anymore on Sundays.
Anyone else have this porblem?

I know I read someone else is allergic to axe. My reaction to axe is an anayphilaxis reaction. I have had to change lines at the grocery store or walk away and come back because of a man in the line. :banghead

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:31 pm 

I can't say that I have gone through the same thing. But is there another service time that is less busy? Personally, I just love being in a church, even if it's empty. For me, that's special all in itself. But I understand wanting to have the freedom to attend service just like everyone else and to be with the other members of your church.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

The only thing I can suggest is to speak with your religious leader about this. Perhaps there is a way...

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm 

I too cannot go anywhere lots of people congregate any more be it church or movie theater, or any other crowded place. There is a new scent out there that to me smells like Pine Sol cleaner,it has an antiseptic pine scent. I know it is a cologne or perfume because it keeps popping up everywhere but it really sets me off wheezing. It is terrible to have to separate yourself from doing things you enjoy or believe in. Maybe your church will be willing to work with you to help you out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:52 pm 

Well, my church knows. Since not many people go on Wed night I take my kids to youth group and kids club but end up sitting in a commons area where its open because everyone goes to classrooms and I can not be shut in rooms with smelly scented people. I have a group of friends who I do activities with and they do not wear perfumes and go to places I can go most of the time. Dalbai, I am sorry you have the same problem I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It is nice to know I am not alone. :freak

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:20 am 
Site Admin

Does you church have ministers who cancome out to your home? Many will do this. Granted it's not the same as the pomp and ceremony of a church in full religious celebration but "where ever three are gathered in His name..."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:40 am 

I get sermon cd's. I am sure if I request they would but... that would open a whole new set of problems for me. What to do with my kids. When should they come, we homeschool. What if they forget and wear calgone and then oh boy to explain my allergies all over again or refuse then entery. Eh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Ack! :freak

No simple answer, I know. Have you spoken to your minister?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:17 pm 

Yes, He knows! I have just sort of given up...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:39 pm 

The Messianic Synagogue I used to go to was considered a 'scent free zone' until the church it rented insisted on putting large baskets of potpourri in the bathrooms. I find that most people who do not deal directly with a severe reaction to scents don't get it. I've had to bite the urge to grab them and bring them to the morgue where people have died from going into anaphylactic shock let them see first hand the worse result of having a reaction or to the Hospital where they see first hand, a grieving family dealing with a young child in shock due to scent allergy.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt