You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm 

Even though I don't need to carry a epi yet, I might have too soon because my sensitivity to cinnamon and horseradish is quite severe. My doctor recommended that I treat all of my sensitivities as a full blown allergy because my symptoms get progressively worse, everytime I accidentally eat them. :abduct I do often feel like a alien from another planet because no one 'gets' me. I look at what I can't eat and I just want to :rofl !

Milk always tasted tainted to me as a kid, but in the 60's what did we know about allergies and sensitivities? Everytime I didn't digest something, I was thought to have the flu. Fortunately, meats, poultry and eggs stayed down where they belonged until I was an adult. My parents wouldn't have taken to kindly to me not having my only true source of "protein". Fortunately, they are much more supportive now, and understand that Soy is a wonderful source of protein.

Anyways, I've had to do lots of research to find out what foods belong to what families and try to figure out what is 'safe' to eat, and what isn't. We used the Elimination diet on me. Gluten sensitivity is the only one I've not really accepted yet, but am working on it. :lol:

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Allergic_Vegetarian, welcome to our boards.

That's quite the avoidance list. Are you at risk to anaphylaxis to any?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:08 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
Hi Allergic_Vegetarian, welcome to our boards.

That's quite the avoidance list. Are you at risk to anaphylaxis to any?

Yes. Cinnamon and the entire Mustard family, but most especially Horseradish. I'm also very sensitive to chicken feathers and excrement. I had to drive to a Dunn bros that just happened to exist in the middle of nowheres USA because a chicken truck had drove by. I was stranded their for 3 hours, trying to settle the reaction while the poor manager was very understanding and accomodating. This may also turn into anaphylaxic shock without warning. My doctor already asked me if I wanted a epi prescription, but I declined as I'm so adept at avoidance. When cinnamon perfume or Hot cinnamon tea becomes popular again (where I live), I'll have to get the epi pen. Also, if I react too severely this Christmas to Apple cider, I'll have to get the epi. If my parents have Xmas, I'll be fine. I don't know whose turn it is. Litchi nut actually causes my throat to feel like its swelling up. I spit the litchi candy out right away, took benadryl and was fine. That might also turn anaphylactic without warning. So yes, quite a few things. :rofl:

BTW, we did try in vain to pretend it was 'psychosomosis' in my head so that we could get less things that I'd react to. We tried this for 10 plus years but just because I wanted to try it for that long, given my childhood was so traumatic. It didn't work, but I did overcome my childhood. :D So, all in all, I'd say it was worth it. We used the Elimination diet to find the sensitivities.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Uh, if you're getting throat symptoms - get the darn epi. And if you're having symptoms like the ones you describe at Dunn Bros., use the damn thing.

Turns off the reaction like a faucet - instant relief. No bad side effects known except for some risk in older patients with heart conditions.

Don't be like these adults in our article: The Allergy Deniers: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... iers-pt-1/

They depend on avoidance, but avoidance simply isn't always in our control.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 am 

gwentheeditor wrote:
Uh, if you're getting throat symptoms - get the darn epi. And if you're having symptoms like the ones you describe at Dunn Bros., use the damn thing.

Turns off the reaction like a faucet - instant relief. No bad side effects known except for some risk in older patients with heart conditions.

Don't be like these adults in our article: The Allergy Deniers: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... iers-pt-1/

They depend on avoidance, but avoidance simply isn't always in our control.

True, which is why I'm watching it very carefully. The coffee house I go to, at the times I go is very predictable as to who is having what and when. It hasn't changed in over a year. But, if we end up going to Aunts house this year, I'll get the epi in the next couple weeks. I should find out later this week, where its being held. She'll have the apple cider.

Thanks!