You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:44 pm 

Has anyone had any problems with skin reactions to oat protein?

My favourite shampoo is now using oat protein despite their claim to be hypo-allergenic. Pretty crummy....I washed my hands with it and didn't notice any reaction, but didn't want to push my luck further.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:24 pm 

I have a similar issue with body moisterizer I was given as a present. I don't think I'd react, but because I have celiac, I decided not to use it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:11 am 

I don't blame you from being concerned, because cross contamination with gluten is very possible, even though Oats do not have gluten in them naturally. The gluten that they are contaminated with comes from how they are transported and which machines the oats are processed on. I, too, have Celiac and had to go gluten free. I did some research in this area, and stopped eating Quaker Oats because they may have cross contamination with wheat, but not necessarily. If you go to their website, you can read their exact statement on this.

However, a long time ago, I used a soap that contained Oats, and one other major ingredient. I can't for the life of me remember what that other ingredient was. My skin reacted in hives, and I immediately quit using it. I avoid oats now.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:22 pm 

From what I understand, even GF oats are a risk for those with gluten sensitivity or Celiac Disease. The amount of gluten in oats is very small, even undetectable in most cases, but some people still have troubles. See this site (I just did a google search since I can't remember where I saw it the first time):

http://www.csaceliacs.org/InfoonOats.php

My DH can eat a small amount of GF (uncontaminated) oats, but gets a reaction (albeit a minor one) if he eats too much (2 cookies in 2 days is too much).

So, be careful with all oats!

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 pm 

:goodidea
I went oat free a couple years ago because oats felt like lead or glue in my stomach. Given the information on that link you posted, it just confirms that when I create GF/CF (corn free) recipes, I'll make then Oat free too.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt