You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:03 pm 

Best wishes on your campaign! Being in the USA, I can't personally sign, but hope that with every better legislative move towards better food labeling laws, the USA would follow suit. Pres. Obama does support better labeling where "Natural" and "preservatives" are concerned, but don't know if that finally passed or not. :roll:

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the encouragement A_V, and welcome to our Forum.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

OK, I agree with Kate and BC2007, so the goal is now 4,000 - and we keep that momentum going!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Checking out for the evening, with our tally at 2,775.

Don't forget folks, if anyone wants to share the personal comments they added to their letter to the prime minister, feel free to do so in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:25 am 
Site Admin

We passed the milestone of 3,000. Wonderful.

:huggy to all you supporters. That 4,000 is within site!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Rosie Schwartz, dietitian and health columnist for MSN, writes up the Clear Label Campaign in a col. called "3 Ways Health Canada is Falling Asleep at the Wheel".

She makes a strong case:
Quote:

Whether the issue is inaction on trans fats, sodium, or potentially-deadly allergens, Health Canada's answer always sounds the same .... "Over the coming months, Health Canada will continue working with its federal, provincial and territorial partners to assess the recommendations made by the working group and determine how they can best be addressed."

On allergen, gluten labels:

Quote:
What this means to Canadians: More than two million Canadians have food allergies, according to recent research. Food allergies are also the leading cause of anaphylaxis in Canada. Having clear labelling would also help those who prepare food for allergy sufferers - who may not be as knowledgeable - as well.

http://lifestyle.ca.msn.com/health-fitn ... d=26586024

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:53 pm 

3407!!! That is amazing, I can't believe how the number has jumped in just a few days. :swing

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

True!

FYI, others who'd like to check up on the tally, our campaign "thermometer" is rising at this link:
http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Anaphylaxis Canada is also urging calls to the Health Minister's office on the Clear Label Campaign.
Call the Health Minister's office directly at 1-613-957-0200, and let her staff know:

* Clear and accurate and food labels are critical to keep those living with allergies or celiac safe.
* Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq needs to do her part and take action today on the new regulations - which are ready to pass!

As noted in AnaCan's e-blast:

Quote:
We encourage you to act today and ask Health Minister Aglukkaq when these regulations will be passed. "As soon as possible" is not an acceptable answer.

I've heard "as soon as possible" 2006 - so pick up the phone, folks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Over 3,600 letters - c'mon 4,000. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

:banana

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:24 am 

Hi All,

We're approaching 3700 letters which is fantastic. However, I unfortunately got news from my MP (Francis Scarpaleggia) this morning that things are NOT looking good for the regs. He said:

Quote:
Health Canada has not yet indicated the current status of the regulatory proposal, though it is likely that the entire process will have to start over again given that over two years have passed since the end of the comment period.

There are presently no parliamentary initiatives addressing this important issue. Please rest assured, however, that this is a policy area of great interest to me and that I will continue to monitor this situation closely.

I appreciate his honesty and it reinforces the fact that we need to get in as many letters AND phone calls to the Health Minister right away. The gov't needs to know we won't let this issue fall to the back-burner again. It's not a nice idea....it's a necessity.

Please, if you've already sent in your letter, call. Then spread the word to everyone you know to do the same. Using our write-in campaign is fast and easy and takes less than 5 minutes of someone's time.

Thanks for all your support. Let's keep it going!

Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

:banghead Call everyone, call!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:31 am 

I have called the health office twice now. Today the receptionist tried to forward me to another dept. which would "give me more information." I asked which dept and he responded the CFIA and I said no I don't want the number it is the minister and the government who will give me the answer I am looking for because they have the power to finalize this. The next time I call I will ask to speak to someone in the minister's office other than the receptionist who is just taking messages (and likely throwing them in the garbage.) I am not in the best of humour this week so I am ready to be pushy!!!

Health Canada was the top news story last night on CBC The National regarding their lack of action on tobacco labelling. CBC believes that the ministry has caved to the tobacco lobby and is not changing the warning labels on cigarettes. It makes me wonder if the food industry is in part behind the label changes that we want. I have no idea. Could they be a force in the delay of the regulations? Does anyone know? I know that there are many benefits to the industry to improving labelling but it seems that sometimes big companies are resistant to change.

It is so frustrating to be this close to change and for it all to fall apart.

Last edited by katec on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:17 am 

I just sent a comment to CBC The National regarding the lack of leadership at Health Canada in regards to their story last night (tobacco labelling) and the allergen labelling issue. I explained the need for the food labelling changes and told them about the stalled regulations awaiting final approval with an end of year deadline. Who is looking out for the health of Canadians at Health Canada? Who knows maybe they will cover our story. It's worth a try.

Here is the link to their feedback line in case anyone else wants to send a further comment.

http://www.cbc.ca/thenational/about/contact/