Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GF and WF bread recipe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:50 am 

hey, New here!!

our family is new to food allergies, almost done an elimination diet, so far we know there is a Wheat and/or Glueten allergy... we have to retest at the end and seperate them to test them seperately... but before we get to that point again

was wondering if anyone had a recipe they already treid for GF bread that they really like, rises and is fluffy compared to the heavy rice bread we have had so far

also, am thinking it will be just a wheat allergy
so was wondering if anyone has a WF bread recipe, they have tried and love they can share with me.. as looks like will be a long term/life time change for the kids and I....

thanks so much in advance for your help!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Check out the Celiac section of the Allergic Living's website. (The forum is just one of many sections you can access on line!) http://allergicliving.com/

Here's an article to get you started:

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... free-diet/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:04 pm 

thanks for the info.... I have read a ton of that, we use xanthan gum and guar gum, dont find it makes a difference

was really just wanting a recipe someone uses and really likes, tired of the experimenting thing if u know what i mean... made some good biscuits and buns, such as the hamburger bun recipe.. but would really love a delicious bread recipe that I could make the kids sandwiches with.... wheat free and/or glueten free

thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:42 pm 

K&Kmom wrote:
thanks for the info.... I have read a ton of that, we use xanthan gum and guar gum, dont find it makes a difference

was really just wanting a recipe someone uses and really likes, tired of the experimenting thing if u know what i mean... made some good biscuits and buns, such as the hamburger bun recipe.. but would really love a delicious bread recipe that I could make the kids sandwiches with.... wheat free and/or glueten free

thanks!

I PMed you with a recipe only because its from someone else, and I didn't think I could legally post it here. However, come May, when my Sister can help me figure out our own rising bread recipe thats GF, I'll post it, if we are successful. She's the baker in the family. :wink:

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:45 am 

K&Kmom, Did you manage to find a tried and true bread recipe from someone? I am not too aware of GF and WF products but I was wondering if they have recipe sections like other products have on their websites. Everything from cocao powder, flour to evaporated milk, even sunbutter have their home page have a recipe section of tried and true recipes.
Good luck.

Bobs Red Mills (recipe section) - I know they have gluten free products (from adds in A.L. magazine). I see soy flour here etc., I'm not sure if those are WF but you might already know that .

http://www.bobsredmill.com/

Wheat free /gluten free recipe site
http://www.wheat-free.org/recipes.html
[u]
El Peto products Gluten/wheat free recipes/u]
http://www.elpeto.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=60

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:52 am 

Wheat free/gluten free baking conversions/substitutions
http://www.suite101.com/content/wheatfr ... ing-a56206

1 Cup Wheat Flour Equals:

* Amaranth - 1 cup
* Bean Flour - 1 cup
* Corn Flour- 1 cup
* Cornmeal - ¾ cup
* Millet Flour - 1 cup
* Nuts (finely ground- almond, hazel nut)- ½ cup
* Oat Flour - 1 1/3 cup
* Potato Flour - 5/8 cup
* Potato Starch - ¾ cup
* Quinoa Flour - 1 cup
* Rice Flour (White/Brown)- 7/8 cup
* Sorghum Flour - 1 cup
* Soy Flour - ¾ cup
* Sweet Rice Flour - 7/8 cup
* Tapioca Flour/Starch - 1 cup
* Teff Flour - 7/8 cup

Read more at Suite101: Wheat-Free Gluten-Free Baking: Flour Conversions and Binding Agents Simplify Recipes http://www.suite101.com/content/wheatfr ... z18BFezvfE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:15 pm 

Soy flour is wheat free. The real challenge in a GF bread is to get it to bind. Flax seed or Xanthum gum (from Corn) both act as binders. Ener-G Egg replacer (contains corn) also binds. For flavour to prevent bread tasting like cardboard, spices can be added, or molasses, honey or fruit juice, that replaces some of the water called for in the recipe. I suggest adding Bragg's Amino Acid's to the bread to give it more of a "wheat" taste, without the wheat. Some buckwheat flour would also help.

Bob's Mill says that Soy flour can't be used by itself to make a good bread. Usually, to make a good GF bread, you have to combine different GF flours. The combination to use, no one agrees on. Most GF breads, no one likes either because it doesn't have that great Wheat taste.

I'll still post my recipe when we finally get around to it. I have to afford the various flours and experiment. I can't afford it yet.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:26 am 

we have not made a successful bread yet... but we just finished retesting the wheat and glueten seperately... and its a definate wheat allergy and not glueten..... so that may open up other options

someone also told me to try Kamut? is a type of wheat but some people with wheat allergies are still about to use it? anyone have any experience using it?

also there is spelt and millet.... but yes, in what combination of flours to use them with, as most those flours can not be used by itself to replace wheat flour... I am not liking the grittyness of the rice.... just discovered Oat the other day though, and made some shortbread cookies that tasted no different, in fact they are all gone lol.... so might try that out in a bread...

we also can not have corn, so no xanthan gum, but we use guar gum instead!.. interesting though as almost every recipe that has it in I see only 1tsp in it.. yet so many sites I have read about it says to use 1tsp per every cup of flour... so might try that out, maybe will make the difference in it rising.... will let u know when I find one... am determined to do so lol... plz let me know if anyone has one they have tried and love...

thanks for all your help!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:20 am 

K&KMom,

Did you look on the Allergic Living home page, bottom right corner. There is a link for the Gluten free girl and chef - recipes. http://gluten-freerecipes.blogspot.com/

I see dinner rolls and cinnamon buns. Even if it isn't the gluten you are avoiding it would give you a great base recipe that works, then just tweak it from there to accomodate any further foods you are avoiding.
Good luck. Allergy mom's should had scientist to our resume for all the concocting we need to do in the kitchen. :lol: