* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa, I'm so happy for you :)
150 matches, wow!
I have no idea about how to introduce the allergy information (dd is only 7).

You've already mentioned your allergies. Let him ask questions and see how much he is willing to learn on his own and what questions he might ask.

I think you might want to give him some basic information like you have allergies to x,y,z and they can be life threatening so dining out can be tricky. Be positive, you've managed them all of this time so it's obviously doable.

Play up all of the skills you have developed as a result of allergies.

Teach him how to use the auto-injector before the first kiss!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

LIsa, I'd missed this - that's great news. Hope things continue to go well.

I usually suggest introducing in stages, and showing by example (e.g. when at a restaurant; casually reading labels on products):

- Get him used to how you have to order dinner, the need for allergen avoidance when he's going to be with you (e.g. in my case - pls. don't eat shellfish at lunch if we're going out that evening).
- Show him the auto-injector - how it works. Be calm and collected about it. Maybe compare to a fire hydrant - not something you should have to use - but just in case, it's there. BUT explain - if you see me clearly having trouble breathing, fainting, etc. after eating: here's how to use; pls do use, then call 911.
- Cross-contamination - depends on if he's going to be cooking for you. If he's not the in-the-kitchen sort, then you've got more time before you'll need to get into that. If he wants to cook for you, then you've got to explain.

I think tone is important - the sense it's all under control. Not trying to freak you out, just something you need to know about if we're together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:15 pm 

Great advice Susan and Gwen, thank you! He is really into cooking but also really into cooking together so it will be easy to show him by example. I like the fire hydrant example and will use it and I have a trainer at home...not afraid or embarassed to show him. He took it so easily and keeps saying, ok and I'll make sure not to eat that and I'd love to make this for you but of course I wouldn't put anything that you can't eat. I get a good vibe from him so far, especially on this front, so that's encouraging! I won't need to make it the topic of conversation all the time which is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:34 pm 

Lisa, I have never looked on the dating forum ......trying not to to think ahead to more dilemas our son will face. BUT I have to say, I am SO happy for you, your new boyfriend sounds thoughtful and caring. It is touching that he is so willing to learn about your allergies in order for you both to be able enjoy meals together safely. Some men think women don't eat but us real women know meal time is all about good food.
All the best and ..AH...romance!! :D :D :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:43 am 

Thanks BC!! I do appreciate him...and totally agree with you: I DO love food and am glad he understands that that's normal haha!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:11 am 

I know I'm bringing up an old topic...but yes, this can be a concern for sure. Even aside from food allergies, finding someone who understands any kind of allergies can be tough if they don't have allergies themselves.

But rest assured -- there are people out there like myself, who would much rather date someone with allergies, even if those allergies manifest themselves very different from mine. Maybe it's because we can relate, but many of my closer friends have had allergies, or interestingly, were in a relationship with someone with allergies.

I had a good friend who had food allergies, and while we weren't in a relationship, we were quite close. I'm fortunate that my allergies aren't to food, but there's lots that people struggle to understand (tobacco and therefore cigarette smoke, cats, etc.). Whenever she and I went out to eat, I'd make a point of modifying my order in some way from the menu for two reasons. First, I found servers didn't make as big of a big deal if two people had a special order than if one did, but more importantly, I found if two people modified menu items, for whatever reason, the odds of them coming out correctly was better than if just one did. Maybe it was a fluke, but I thought it was an observation worth sharing.

But yes, allergies can be a roadblock in many ways. I agree wholeheartedly though -- if someone doesn't care enough to make some changes to keep you healthy, consider the allergies a blessing, as they probably pointed out a relationship that was doomed to fail anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:39 am 

I agree. I was really fortunate that when I was diagnosed with allergies, I had been with my boyfriend for 2 years and when I was diagnosed with food allergies, we'd been together 2 1/2 years. He had the choice to leave if he felt my allergies were something he couldn't handle. He didn't! He's my biggest supporter and he doesn't eat shellfish if he knows he's seeing me that day. He reads the food labels with me at the grocery store and calls restaurants ahead to find out about issues like cross contamination and looks at the menus to make sure there is no shellfish or minimal shellfish on the menu. He's learned how to use my Epipen, identify symptoms of anaphylaxis and he knows everything that I carry in my emergency kit and how to use it. When you're with the right person, friend, family or partner, they won't want to do anything that can compromise your health. I've expressed concerns to my boyfriend about having children with allergies and I've asked him if he was comfortable knowing our children would be at a great risk for allergies. He told me that there's some history of diabetes on his mothers side and reminded me that we can have children that are totally healthy and what kind of couple would we be if either of us were afraid of having children because there's a risk that they are genetically predisposed to having health issues.

As for those who are concerned about having allergies and still trying to meet someone new. I encourage you to maybe try the first couple of dates in an environment where there is no food. Try ice skating, bowling, a museum, the zoo, cocktails at a lounge, coffee at a coffeeshop, movies, or a sporting event where you wouldn't have to eat the concession food if it was unsafe. These can be great first dates and help you get to know the person a little better before having to explain food allergies. And remember, no one is perfect. Everyone has a challenge they need to face. Everyone has their own baggage they have to carry....some carry it in Louis Vuitton bags and others carry it in plastic Walmart bags - nevertheless it is still baggage that we all carry.

Good luck to everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Dd and I are starting to talk about dating and allergies now, and she's only 9! :frightened
I want her to know that caring relationships mean respecting each other and being careful not to provoke a reaction is one way to show respect.
Love the peanut or love me, but you can't have both! :popcorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:06 pm 

It might be scary to start taking about it while your daughter is only 9, but it's really good to see that you are taking a proactive approach and teaching her about respect in healthy relationships and instilling the importance of finding a respectful and caring partner. Hopefully by the time she's ready to date, this will be so ingrained in her head that she won't settle for less! No young lady should ever have to settle for anything less than the best. Good luck Susan and keep us posted!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:27 pm 

I can't say much, cause of the age and she sometimes comes on this forum too. (she's mentioned there should be a forum just for kids) Soooo...I'll just say we talked a lot - both of us are talkers - big time - and I think that's the best way. As she has had reactions not long ago, she is well aware of the severity and that's a blessing in disguise in some ways.
I find that her friends are the best!! Including the "her boy" as I affectionatly call him. They have been friends for a long time and been dating for about a year and a half. Maybe some moms wouldn't like their daughter to be dating at all at this age, but as with most things, you just do what works best for your family and lucky me - she makes really good decisions. 8) :D

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:36 pm 

AB Advocate I have a teen of the same age with a one yr. "relationship" as long as they remember they are "friends" and not getting ahead of themselves or losing themselves I see no problem. I met my husband at 14 and we were dating at 15. He accepted my allergies and worked around the asthma....(dated 9 years before wed)
So you may be talking about your future son-in law! :abduct
If you find the right guy allergies won't be an issue, I am sure you will have something to accept about him even if it does not seem as out there as allergies.
(ya we all have baggage)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Alberta Advocate- there is a forum for teens http://www.whyriskit.ca/pages/en/home.php
It's maintained and operated by Anaphylaxis Canada and Kyle Dine leads the Youth Advisory Panel.
Have your daughter check it out!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:01 pm 

Thanks Susan. She's been. I think she means more of a chat thing like this. Maybe I'll get her to think about a thread here. :thumbsup

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 pm 

I was up front with my now mate when we where introduced to each other - before we agreed to start dating. Told hir that I was T1 Diabetic, Infertile and living with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and was born with Acute Intermittent Porphyria (AIP), and that it was easer to list the drugs I can have over the 400+ that I can't have which also include foods (gluten, nightshades, dairy, eggs, coconut, kiwi, citrus, banana, and a few other things. Didn't bother hir one bit, turned out N has a Nut n tomato allergy and is Epileptic, so you could say we clicked from that moment onwards.

7+ years later we're going strong as a married couple and we've been there for each other though thick and thin (and right now its thick do to a death in the immediate family - my mom).

{b}General[/b]: 400+ drugs and topicals (benidril, opiates and opiods, and the list goes on).
Food: Dairy, Coconut, Soy, Nuts, Nightshades, Egg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry about your mom - but really glad the relationship has gone so well!