You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:47 am 

Katrina, did your son eat the granola bars or did other children near him eat them causing a contact reaction?

What did your son say in expressing his feelings after his double reaction ordeal?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:08 am 

The fact of the matter is as a consumer having been buying this product for 4 years a level of trust is built! We have had no other issues over the past for years with any product!! Either way this product should have never left that facility or should have been recalled sooner.... Keeping in mind the first reaction occured Nov 5th...... And the second occuring Nov 25th most recalls that I've come across have been dated Nov 25th-26th which was too last for us!!! This is the way it is I purchase this product we have a snack cupboard and if its before a meal he knows not to help himself but at other times throughout the day he goes to the cupboard to pick out a snack!! Our cupboard is full off "peanut free" products (so we thought)... Both times grandma packed his lunch so knowing it came from a peanut free box why would she need to check the bar itself.. (Keeping in mind my mother works in QA-QC at Kraft Canada) this was a huge lesson learnt and I will never ever again buy another packaged product... As for the school I do not believe they have the proper training! When notified about what happened the teacher also told me "we have another anaphylaxis student that comes in from grade 5 to help and she had no syptoms, and he did not have all the symptoms on my card) she was alson not aware that shock could set in anywhere from seconds up to 72 hours ( which he tends to have progressive symptoms)....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:19 am 

I do understand Katrina, even at 3 yrs old our son knows where the drawer of safe snacks are. If he wants something he asks me for a snack and we go to the drawer, he picks what he would like but then he brings it to me and asks me to open it.

We have always bought the smaller boxes, it was just in Sept. we renewed our Costco membership and bought a jumbo box. If it wasn't for that we would have also had the same recalled product in our home. I never would have checked the individual bars either, marked peanut free, should be peanut free!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm 

:huggy to your family, Katrina, from mine here.
Quote:
the teacher did not administer his epipen insted gave him his ventalin puffer as she thought it was asthma.. And called home 1.5 hours after doing so when his condition worsened....

This part is so scary to me....when my DD was in grade 3 a teacher gave her a snack by mistake, assuring her it was out of "her snack tin". The only reason I found out about it was when I picked her up she (DD) told me cause she thought the rule was only try 1st foods with me at home, but, "that was a treat" When I asked the teacher about it she said she realized what she had done afterwards, DD seemed fine,so she didn't think it was a big deal. :verymad :banghead she was, but it gave me a scare. I too was concerned with the asthma deal, but as her trigger for that only seemed to be the flu or cats, well...I never even sent an inhaler to school so it wasn't an issue for us.
Quote:
As for the school I do not believe they have the proper training! When notified about what happened the teacher also told me "we have another anaphylaxis student that comes in from grade 5 to help and she had no syptoms, and he did not have all the symptoms on my card) she was alson not aware that shock could set in anywhere from seconds up to 72 hours ( which he tends to have progressive symptoms)....
I'm interested to know what training the did have and also what the "policy" is and are records kept of those? I would also hire a lawyer to write a letter so a papertrail is begun...but, that's me....I wish I would have earlier than I did here. I wish parents were invited by the school to be more involved in that training.
Oh, give an extra hug to Gramma from us...I know how she feels. It was not her fault, but this is such a good reminder that more education needs to happen in the schools. They need to get how serious this is...and respond correctly.
And I hate the peanut free thing- no such thing- but some take it as a relaxant.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:39 am 

Katrina, I'm so very sorry. How absolutely terrifying. The school definitely needs to update their policies if they are so hesitant to use an epipen, they should have at least called 911 IMMEDIATELY and told them an ana child was having a reaction (rash, wheezing etc...). I hope he is feeling better now.

I'm a little confused by the recall, were dipps bars put into regular boxes? Did they have the right label on the individual bars or were they in the wrong wrappers (not that it matters, they should have NEVER been in a peanut free box). I am pretty sick over this, we still have jumbo boxes of them, and I may have only given them out once or twice since the recall I just don't feel good about them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:46 am 

I think it was the 14-bar size box only. They were recently on promo. Dipps bars were packed in the chewy boxes. So while the bars were correctly labelled, the exterior box would have had the peanut free logo on them, and people would have thought they were buying the chewy kind. Some of the Dipps actually have almost the same wrapper as the regular (depends on the "flavour" of the Dipp) - I had both in the house, and had to double check that I was putting the right ones in lunches.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

People can be in a rush when making lunches. :freak
I sent this e-mail to Quaker Oats:
Quote:
Regarding the recent mispacking of Quaker Oats Chewy Granola Bars Value Packs:
I am the mother of a child with multiple food allergies. I am quite concered that some boxes of Chewy Granola Bars Value Packs "may have been mispacked with Quaker brand Dipps granola bars that contain peanuts".
Have you identified how ot happened that " the mistake occurred at the packaging facility when boxes bearing the “peanut-free” label were wrongly filled with other wrapped bars – which contain peanuts"? What measures have you taken to ensure that it doesn't happen again?
Do the boxes look so similar that the individuals loading the production line didn't recognize the error?
These are the types of questions that I need to know in order to feel secure again with Quaker Oat products.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:21 pm 

I also am a bit confused by the 'mix-up'! I get that peanut bars were put in their correct individual wrappers and that peanut free bars were put into their correct wrappers. From what I understand e the peanut bars were then accidently packaged in the peanut free boxes.

Here's where I am confused, are the peanut free bars not made in a separate facility? I don't get why the two products were even in the same plant in the first place. To label peanut free do they not have to pass certain government protocols such as a peanut free product must come from a peanut free manufacturing plant, peanut free packaging plant?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:01 pm 

The "mix up" was that peanut bars were placed in peanut-free boxes. Quaker did confirm that the bars themselves are made and wrapped in their foil in strictly peanut-free facilities. But the place where they get put into boxes is a different facility. This is why we were told they have launched an investigation to see how this kind of mistake happened.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:18 am 
Site Admin

I've copied this thread to the Schools forum as I think that there is a separate issue of how some schools might handle reactions. Lets leave this thread about Quaker and go to the other thread to discuss the school situation. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6130

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb