You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thx Kate, look forward to seeing that piece. Missed the news last night.

I just checked our letter tally - thermometer says - 3,800.

We've set a new goal, 4,500. Once we're over 4K, that's a strong no. to use with govt, with the opposition saying: exactly when is this going to pass into law? Enough - we want action.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:49 pm 

I just sent out an email in a staff bulletin for my school board about the online petition. I know that we are in the last days of this campaign so I just felt the need to reach out further. The message will reach a wide audience and hopefully people will take the time to respond. It is a community message board for personal messages (items for sale, services available, charitable events etc). If your employer has a similar community email board why not consider spreading the message this way.
It's such a busy time of year. I wish there was more time to make our point and make these changes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

:banana

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:51 pm 

Anyone else get a form letter back from Aglukkaq? Basically, she said they're working to get it done "as soon as possible." Once again, this will not fly. Keep those letters coming, spread the word, CALL. Let's make some noise!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:24 pm 

Yup, got the same form letter!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

So close to 4,000 letters. 3,992 and counting.

Gov't had better not think of letting these regs die on the order paper.

We now represent a lot of voters.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:53 am 
Site Admin

We are 2 letters away from reaching our goal of 4000! These are 'just' the numbers of those who submitted a letter through our sight! Anaphylaxis Canada and others have urged their members to write as well!
We won't be ignored! :bouncygreen :bouncyblue :bouncygreen :bouncyblue :bouncygreen

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 am 

4052, we cleared 4000 :happydance

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

This is so awesome.

Over 4,000 letters has impact on politicians - taxpayers are their nut-free bread and butter (Earth Balance?).

You guys rock making this happen. :thanksign

Anaphylaxis Canada is now using these numbers in efforts to reach / meet the Health Minister. Should know soon her response - one way or the other.

All fingers crossed...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:27 pm 

Got this form letter today. It's an insult to my intelligence. Load on the cr** about how great Canada is and it's system, like I don't already know what is great about our system and what is lacking!! Then tell me to go to the CFIA's website as that is where I can basically educate myself as how to read ingredients/shop. Then she is 'pleased' to tell me that of 2008 sulphites and gluten are now added to labeling. ????? Um, last I checked it is almost 2011. Then to finish off she passes the buck off to the food industry itself. :roll:

I am writing in response to your email to the Right Honourable Stephen Harper regarding allergen labelling for food products in Canada. I sympathize with your son's situation and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

Please be assured that the Government of Canada considers food safety issues to be of the utmost importance. It is for this reason that we strive to maintain one of the most stringent and rigorous regulatory systems in the world. Indeed, Canada has one of the safest food supplies in the world. The Government is committed to protecting the health of Canadians and providing them with the tools to make informed food choices. Canada's food safety and labelling laws are established by Health Canada, and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is responsible for enforcing them.

The CFIA has posted food-allergen-related information on its website at http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... erge.shtml <http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/allerg/allerge.shtml> . This information is intended to help consumers understand and manage the risks associated with food allergens, gluten sources and added sulphites. It was developed by the CFIA and Health Canada in consultation with the Allergy/Asthma Information Association, Anaphylaxis Canada, Association québécoise des allergies alimentaires, the Canadian Celiac Association and the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.

While this web page outlines potential risks, the food industry itself is responsible for ensuring that its food products comply with the food safety and labelling requirements under Canadian law. The CFIA works with associations, distributors, food manufacturers and importers to help them provide complete and appropriate labelling of all foods and encourages companies to develop prevention strategies to manage risks related to food allergens, gluten sources and added sulphites. Should a significant health risk be identified with respect to the undeclared presence of common food allergens in prepackaged foods, the CFIA will take appropriate enforcement action, which may include recall of the product.

I am pleased to let you know that in July 2008, Health Canada published a regulatory amendment proposal in the Canada Gazette, Part I, for new labelling requirements for food allergens, gluten sources and added sulphites contained in prepackaged foods. Health Canada officials are now considering the comments received on the proposal before bringing final regulations forward. The improved regulations would require that manufacturers declare all priority food allergens, gluten sources and added sulphites on labels of prepackaged foods. The regulations would also prescribe exactly how this information is to be listed on food labels. For more information on Health Canada's work in this regard, please consult the Health Canada website at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/label-etiq ... ex-eng.php <http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/label-etiquet/allergen/index-eng.php> .

Thank you for writing with your views on this important subject.
Sincerely,
Gerry Ritz, PC, MP
c.c.: The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, PC, MP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:04 pm 

LOVE when they tell us what we already know! :banghead

Anyone had any luck with the phone calls??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE from Ottawa on Label Campaign

Spoke to Laurie Harada and Marilyn Allen of Anaphylaxis Canada. They did manage to get a 40-minute meeting with the Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq in Ottawa yesterday.

Let's start with the Good News:

- The minister was receptive to the Anaphylaxis Canada spokespersons, she did give her personal assurance (more than once), that she supports the regulations going through.
- The regulations will not "expire" as such by Dec. 31.
- The minister was well aware of all your letters in our Label Lobby campaign.

The Less Encouraging News:

- The minister is not solely responsible for the passing of these regulations. They now must be passed by the Treasury subcommittee before they are moved into the Can. Gazette II phase and become law.
- The minister would not - and could not - give a date for when that will happen in 2011.

Next Steps:
- We need to keep the pressure on. Phone the Treasury Board, let them know how important it is that the Regulations - titled The Proposed Regulatory Amendments to Enhance the Labelling of Allergen, Gluten Sources and Added Sulphites - are finally passed. Remind the TB that the regs. were promised by the Harper Government in July 2008.
- Call or e-mail your MP to let them know of your concerns. (Don't forget that you can borrow the setup of the issue from the AL campaign letter to the PM. See it here after clicking on 'next': http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/
- AL will be posting in mid-January a 2nd label campaign - this time directly to both the PM and to Treasury Board Pres. Stockwell Day. This time our letter will will let you tell them that you are following up on the over 4,000 letters individuals and voters have sent regarding this important legislation. It will ask directly: when will the law be passed? Again, there will be space for personal comment. So stay tuned, folks, will need your assistance again.
- The key groups involved the label lobby: Anaphylaxis Canada, Can. Celiac Assn, Allergic Living, AAIA, AQAA will be writing to Treasury Board Pres. Stockwell Day and to other key ministers urging them to consider the needs of the millions of people who need these clear labels.

We're not there yet people, but our actions are being heard. We'll need to keep the pressure on, especially come January.

Thanks again for all your advocacy. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:59 pm 

BC2007 - we got the exact same letter - the MP just substituted son for daughter. It was very insulting to our knowledge of the current labelling regulations and limitations - as if someone with a life-threatening allergies wouldn't already be aware of this information! He doesn't get how important labelling information is and how much is depending on it - if he did he would have written a very different letter.

It's good news that the regulations won't expire. It's frustrating that there is still so much work to do. The threat of an election is also something to worry about. We need to really work hard in January to get these passed before an election is called.