You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 pm 

You're absolutely right Susan. The meeting with the principal went well, and demonstrated clearly the lack of understanding/procedures (even though the policies are quite well outlined). There was a bag of life brand candy canes with a clear peanut warning on it. Shows that candy canes aren't just safe by default.

DH will be giving a presentation to the teachers and staff early in the new year, I would appreciate any input from people here. He gives many for work, and speaks well which is great. I believe someone's daughter gave a presentation last year? If it's ok I will start a new thread asking for suggestions, we certainly don't want to miss anything since we will have a captive audience.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:46 am 

Even if the principal appears to understand the 'rules' more now I would still cc any correspondence to your school trustee etc. also.. Invite your school official to your husbands presentation. Attach all names on the same email so everyone can see who's received it so they don't become defensive and think you went behind their backs /went above them (at the school).
Briefly explain what has happened, the dangers involved, the reason for our rules, how the situation could have been dealt with. Then approach it as an opportunity for a learning experience as you have realized there is a lack of understanding regarding anaphylaxis policy and you would like to bring it to ALL of their attention so they can review this also at other schools in the district. You don't want a tragedy to occur etc.. That should get their attention.

I don't think any principal/teacher would ever want to put a child's life in danger, they just don't fully understand the implications of their actions.

Hey, here's a thought. At your husband's presentation have him hand out a a sheet titled milk, with all the names for milk under it, do the same for peanut and egg. Have him ask how many of the names underneath are real words to describe milk,egg, peanut in an ingredient label.
Then have him tell them they ALL can describe those allergens. That is a good time for him to go into labeling, how confusing it can be and how not all companies label consistantly and accurately especially if the products are imported etc..

I also PM you Becky.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:21 am 

We have had this almost exact situation happen just Friday - the last day of school - all of the children were given popcorn :popcorn during a movie - my son had to say no - then the teacher prodded - oh c'mon I read the ingredients - he still said no so she switched to small hallowe'en sized skittles - while safe - he still did not eat them at school. He took them home to his babysitter/aunt and he asked her to call me at work to confirm if indeed they were safe.

If the planning is in place for a popcorn movie to happen, why then, can't the plan be to call the parent of the allergic child? Simple to me. I can send in whatever said treat may be in a safe form that he can trust because he brought it and there is suddenly no problem, and he feels safe. Why oh why can't schools see that allergic children need to feel safe, always and especially at school.

There is so much in the lives of children that they struggle with, relationships, friends, bullies, academics - why add more to the allergic child's life of worry. Think ahead and make the call is all I have ever asked of the school and it disappoints me every time. :dungetit

I am so proud he had been able to self advocate and knows exactly how to handle them. :)

Son - 6 yrs old - no allergies or asthma (Son6)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 pm 

Check out Alberta Health Services. Is there someone there that attended the training with Anaphylaxis Canada and Alberta Education? I would try to find out who that is and has the school been in touch. This is where "wrap around services" come in I think. Definitely start a paper trail.
Also, have you seen the kit that every school in Alberta received? You may have to dust.
Good idea on invites...maybe someone from the school council as well.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:36 pm 

Maybe think about having this right after school and having your DS there as well. I've found this very useful for a lot of reasons...one being the child learning how to speak out and advocate for themselves,, something they will have to do 'for life'. I have been very proud hearing my words coming out of my childrens mouths.
I even took my DS. One time after we left a meeting once he asked me if I had seen that teacher sleeping. I had. I should have rapped his desk with a yardstick. :rofl I said he was probably just resting his eyes. :roll: I like that lots of people are involved - the more the merrier!! :thumbsup

Michele

afterthought -- Becky, just wondering, which is in your policy - Anaphylaxis: A Handbook for School Boards (pp 31-35) published by the Canadian School Boards Association
or Anaphylaxis in Schools and Other Settings (pp 41-47), Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
I got this from here http://www.asba.ab.ca/services/policy-ad-anaphyl07.asp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:31 pm 

This is on the Alberta Health Services site, maybe they can help you out.
http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/ser ... id=1032855

This is on the Alberta Education site, http://education.alberta.ca/admin/healt ... /aair.aspx
and this http://education.alberta.ca/teachers/sa ... ntact.aspx
:thumbsup

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:55 pm 

Just thought of this- if your child is is the Catholic School Division, you might want to get ahold of Michael Hauptman, he is with the Evergreen Catholic now but was w/Ab. Ed. and was instrumental in process. Maybe Janice Saarich mla (check spelling) or your own mla as well. I don't know who took over M. Hauptman's position, as I got very frustrated, and gave up for awhile. Way too much run-a-round and political blah blah blah for me. :roll: I got really tired of hearing the "safe and caring" and the "large and prudent family" speeches when the schools weren't at all like my family...my family never would never have handled things the way I seen things done here. When I asked for help, it was poorly handled and when our division got an administrative guideline I was told there were "3 glaring errors" in it and he was surprised it passed. I was very unfamiliar with the whole board, trustee, council, .... proceedures then, still find it all very confusing...but was not happy at all with how this whole thing in Parkland School Division was handled. As my children are just about done school now, I'm sure they are happy I don't have more. I think it is a cycle and they count on that. As your child gets older, most people back off and move on...every year I think about all those kids starting out and they are starting younger now. Jr. Kindergarden??? I assumed when my child went to Kindergarden that all staff would have 1st aid and was shocked to find out how little they really knew.

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:12 pm 

Hi Michele, thanks for all of the links & suggestions!

I am also amazed at how little is known. For instance, we have a babysitter who graduated in 2009 with a university degree in early childhood development, and works full time in a large accredited daycare. Neither the univeristy program nor the daycare have provided her with epipen/anaphylaxis training. It is so easy for people who don't live with allergies to say 'oh, that's common, people must know how to deal with it', but the fact is they don't. It wasn't until she watched our dvd (from the training kit) that she knew the signs etc... So many people are taking so many chances with their little ones, it is truly frightening.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 pm 

Becky wrote:
For instance, we have a babysitter who graduated in 2009 with a university degree in early childhood development, and works full time in a large accredited daycare. Neither the univeristy program nor the daycare have provided her with epipen/anaphylaxis training.

Funny you should say that. I contacted Doug Horner - Deputy Minister, back in March of 2010 with this
Quote:
I had a thought the other day - wouldn't it be great if all the teachers before they graduated were given a course - maybe first aid including anaphylaxis. Since you are the Minister of Advanced Education maybe you have some thoughts on that. It would be a great start. I have found that sometimes when they come to do their practicum they don't have any knowledge of epi pens or anaphylaxis.

This was my reply from his office
Quote:
Hi Michelle:
I have not had the opportunity to discuss all of this with Doug – I know he spoke with Minister Hancock but have not heard the results. Doug is in tomorrow and it is in the pile of stuff to discuss – so we will get back to you after that.

Thanks
Carol Stewart, Constituency Manager for
Honourable Doug Horner, MLA
Deputy Premier and
Minister of Advanced Education & Technology
Minister Liaison to the Canadian Armed Forces
Spruce Grove, Sturgeon, St. Albert Constituency
Main Office
206B McLeod Ave,
Spruce Grove, AB T7X 2K5 - 962-6606
Satellite Office
10 - 516 St. Albert Rd., St. Albert Trail - 458-1393
Correspondence to Main office.

and that's all she wrote. I have not heard anything since.

Michele

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:45 am 

Here's something that I need to look into but it does make me wonder. I don't know what company the popped corn was from that they fed your DS Becky but at our DD's school they use Kernels and I swear the package actually says made in a peanut free facility. That I'm going to check but DD says it does and I remember seeing it.

Anyway, I was at our mall and DS wanted popped corn. I saw the owner in the kiosk so I asked if there was a place to buy the school packages of peanut free popped corn. He told me that the packages were made there!!! :scratchy This is an open kiosk in the mall, the large clear bag where they put the popped corn to shake on the flavor was sitting on the floor, on the counter I have before seen other mall food, probably the workers lunch etc.. This is NOT a peanut free facility. I didn't get into it then and there but I did say it wasn't safe for our son, he said they have no peanuts in their product, I said it is NOT safe for our son, thanked him for his time and left. I didn't want to get into it just then but this is something I will need to look into further before DS starts school next year....in case like you Becky they feed him popped corn.

If the label does in fact read as I remember it 'made in a peanut free facility' then I need to have them change it to there are no peanuts in this product but - may contain peanuts or other allergens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:32 am 

BC2007, there are 2 'chip' style popcorn bags, they can either be packaged at a plant or in store. In our case they were popped in the store. Our branch is completely nut/peanut free. They have taken them all off the menu EXCEPT during the holidays where the caramel corn with nut clusters arrives fully prepackaged. The warning label on the bags say something like 'made in a peanut free store, packaged in an open mall setting'. The Kernels store is far from the food court, and I trust our branch owner/manager, his grandson is anaphylactic so he completely Gets It.

The problem is not with the popcorn, but with the school. We do buy kernels for our family, and I would have approved it, but even safe snacks MUST be preapproved by mom or dad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:45 am 

Quote:
The warning label on the bags say something like 'made in a peanut free store, packaged in an open mall setting'.

That is an appropriate label, I will check to see if that is how ours now reads as well. That is great that you have been able to buy from Kernels safely, maybe one day I'll get up the nerve to let DStry some from ours. I also find that when owners are allergy aware their products are much more reliable.
Quote:

The problem is not with the popcorn, but with the school. We do buy kernels for our family, and I would have approved it, but even safe snacks MUST be preapproved by mom or dad.

That I 100% agree with.
Again, unfortunate the school just didn't make that one phone call to you or your DS.
I worked many many many years ago at Kernels, :popcorn (yum) and at that time the top flavor we made was butter pecan...yes, with actual loose pecans. :frightened As a company they obviously have come a LONG way being allergy aware.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:14 am 

Becky, I PM you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:27 pm 

Becky,how have things gone this week at school?