* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Very tragic news:

Quote:
Thirteen-year-old Katelyn Carlson died Friday after eating something at a school Christmas party.

Quote:
Chicago public school officials say new laws will require school districts to implement a policy specific to food allergies starting in January.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=7854968

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 am 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 8627.story
http://www.examiner.com/headlines-in-ch ... -at-school
:cry:

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Was this her first reaction or was she known to have allergies to peanuts?
Was the epipen administered at the school?
The teacher spoke with the restaurant several times to make sure peanuts were not used in the dish yet peanut oil was used.

So sad and so unnecessary. This was not part of a lesson plan or the school cafeteria making a mistake. This was food brought in for a party. This was someone with minimal training (so far as I can tell) making life and death decisions for all.

Time to get the food out of celebrations!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 am 

Quote:
The victim's father says Katelyn was aware of her allergy and careful of what she consumed.

TRAGIC!!! Why on earth do school's need full meals to celebrate events. My thoughts are with her parents and family. This story makes me shudder and brings tears to my eyes.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The Chicago Tribune reports that parents of other students say school officials told them the girl had a reaction to the peanut oil in Chinese food ordered from a restaurant for a class party.

Chinese food - omg. :cry:

Why, why do they serve with an allergic teen present?
Why, oh why would she eat?

Probably trying to 'fit in'.

Hug your kids - and teach them well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Timeline from the Chicago Sun-Times:

- Katelyn was taken to hospital at 1:30 Chicago time on Friday.
- Transferred to Children's Memorial (big allergy section at this hospital).
- Pronounced dead at 5:40 p.m.

http://www.suntimes.com/2966858-417/all ... -bond.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

From the Huffington Post:

Quote:
Matthew Akinrinade, whose daughter was a classmate and close friend of Katelyn's since kindergarten, said his daughter also has a peanut allergy and assured him earlier last week that a teacher had called the restaurant several times to make sure peanuts would not be used in the food. Akinrinade said his daughter did not have a reaction to the food Friday, but she saw that Katelyn was having trouble breathing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:03 am 

This must be absolutely terrifying for the friend with pa, to have witnessed this.

I know many people are questioning why this or why that. But in reality, a lot of people do think the oils are safe, and a lot of people do eat may contain items. I wonder if, like BJ's parents, she and her parents thought it was a minor allergy....not life threatening.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:01 pm 

Quote:
Bond said the district has no formal policy on the use of EpiPens, emergency injections used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions. When an allergy-related medical emergency arises, school district staff rely on 504 plans -- individual student health profiles that contain information about a student’s vulnerabilities and risks -- in deciding how to respond, she said.

Carlson’s death comes less than a month before all Illinois schools are required to implement food-allergy policies based on guidelines developed and released by the state Board of Education,

What a tragic and unnecessary loss of life. I still am not sure if the epipen was ever given to her at the school.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:10 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Quote:
Bond said the district has no formal policy on the use of EpiPens, emergency injections used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions. When an allergy-related medical emergency arises, school district staff rely on 504 plans

I always think when I see things like this - does someone take the time to go look this up or what?-
middle schools here have 4-5 hundred kids, the high school + 1000 and these are small schools.
I also think about that letter I got from the school that had something about teachers being educators not medical practictioners. :dungetit I wasn't neither...but I learned.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:26 pm 

Quote:
Smith says that Chinese cuisine, except if made at home, is too dangerous a choice for those at risk of peanut, nut or shellfish allergies. “These are staples in the cuisine, so the risks of cross-contamination or mistakes in such a restaurant kitchen are always high.”

I totally agree but I have to add that if you have a sesame allergy to also avoid ALL Chinese food unless made at home. My mother in law, any relatives (in law) and my husband (before our son was born) added sesame oil to pretty much every single dish/soup etc. they were cooking. Let alone they love throwing the seeds onto everything! :? Sesame oil isn't fully refined and does contain sesame protein.
With woks it is also believed the flavor builds up by not washing them. A few of my husbands family members had restaurants. The cross contamination is just about 100% guaranteed.

I can't imagine that this young girl ever ate Chinese food out before having a peanut allergy. Why , why, why now eat it. As Gwen said, was it to fit in? Although questions don't do any good when the outcome is so horrific.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Michelle, Yes - sesame - adding that to my quote / caution to readers now! :thanksign

Only one thing that you say I don't agree with:

Quote:
Although questions don't do any good when the outcome is so horrific.

I'm sure it will feel like that right now for Katelyn's parents, but when I heard it was a 13-year-old girl who died, right away I though of Sabrina Shannon, and of her mom, Sara Shannon.

Sara always notes that while she or we can't bring back her beautiful daughter, the lessons we learn, the education we do following such a death may just save other teenagers. Obviously no one wants any of these kids to be examples, but I think Sabrina's has been a little shining star of allergy influence across North America. And I know that's caused awareness, and bet it has saved lives.

Unfortunately, there will still be some deaths. Maybe Katelyn, who by all accounts was a smart, wonderful girl, will now cause many allergic teens to think twice rather about taking ANY risks with food.

Or maybe this is just me needing to be an optimist that something good can come out of such an awful and preventable demise. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Also Lisa Ferlaino wrote this article for AL, which paints a picture of Katelyn, pulls together all that's known so far. Plus comment from Sara Shannon:

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... cago-teen/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:42 pm 

Thanks for writing that Gwen. I felt like the questions that have been going through my head since reading this article were inappropriate to have when someone has died from their allergy. Kind of like that by having questions I was (and I'm not) directing blame. I know that everyone probably did what they thought was in her best interest, no one wants to see a child sick or hurt. Accidents will happen but when something seems to have been preventable it makes you ask so many - WHY's !!!!
I appreciate you saying that questions are a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:51 am 

My heart breaks for this family.

Sometimes we questionned our daughter's allergist's recommendation to avoid even a trace of a nut -her reasoning is that she may be okay this time but you never know about the next time. We don't question it anymore.

At the huffington post site's article about this tragecy, it is disturbing is the number of people who have said that students are NOT allowed to carry their epi-pens. That must change. I hope that parents will stand up for their children and have them carry the epi with them and then let the school board fight them on it.

I have wondered if epi-pens are more expensive in other countries or not covered as much by extended medical because in many stories it seems that people did not have an epipen.