You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:50 pm 

Dempster's Stay Fresh in the silver foil now contains May contain sesame. Sooo went shopping and NO more store bought bread for my boy?? I live in Ottawa. Anyone finding anything? Must I go out and buy the breadmaker to replace the one I crazily gave away??? :frightened

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:31 pm 

Hi Stefteach, we racked brains at the last OASG get together and there are quite a few safe sesame breads we've found in Ottawa.

M&M rosemary pull apart bread, ready to bake....crunchy crust and YUMMY!!
M&M baguettes, garlic bread.
M&M pizza is also sesame safe (as well as DS's other allergens, he eats the tomato /basil one)

M&M breakfast croissant
- also frozen ready to heat (bacon/egg ham/egg)

Dempster's Soft Slice. Depends on of it is from Laval Or Hamilton plant. Laval is sesame free Hamilton is not. The plastic ticket with expiry date will start with LA or HA. I just cross my fingers each time I go to Sobey's that the bread is from Laval, of course I check ingredients each time.

Dempster Tortilla wraps, we use for many things, pizza, wraps, cut and bake for chips

Dempster THIN bagels, they are thin but I was thrilled to finally have bagels in the house again

Eggos - original are sesame safe, DS eats them all the time

D'Italiano Thintini buns, come in an 8 pack and we use them for mini pizzas, hamburger buns or take 1/2, warm it up and fold it to make a hot dog bun.

BRIDOR ready to bake baguettes from Costco. They come in the freezer section in a huge brown box, DS loves them. I bake them and then cut them open to make garlic bread. Or we use them for sandwiches or cut them into little circles and broil them with a dash of olive oil on them to make them into crunch crackers to put brie on etc..

I'll check my list to see if there were any others we've found.
DS 's allergies are very severe even to trace amounts of all his allergens, he's never had a problem with any of these products.

:huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:54 pm 

Yay! I knew I could count on people here!! The soft slice I did not know had two options so I will look carefully!
I also found the flat bread hot dog buns at metro - irresistables - are sesame free.

Checking out the m&m this afternoon! Merci!!

Stefanie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:26 pm 

DS doesn't eat everything we buy but I make sure it is safe just in case he ever wants to have a taste and try something new.
M&M is AWESOME at their labeling, they have a binder as well as they re-read every package with me when they take it from the freezer. Not everything in there DS can eat but what has been listed as safe we've never had a problem with.

I forgot to add to my list that they (M&M) also have a safe breakfast croissant with a ham or bacon option. Be aware that M&M have a mini version of the pull apart bread that is NOT safe for peanuts/tree nuts/sesame). They are cinnamon/raisin mini pull apart breads - I did check and they are made in a different plant. The rosemary pull apart bread is the only safe one in that style.

Their apple pie and caramel apple pie I believe are the only safe desserts for DS but like you it is the bread type products that are sooo hard to find. They do have safe (for DS) onion rings, cheese sticks, even a butter chicken dish ithat is safe. Again, he doesn't eat it all but just in case he tastes I always make sure what we eat is safe for him also.

I did call Dempsters and request that our Sobeys get deliveries from the Laval plant and they did mark it down in a shipping file. So far almost every single time I've gone the bread has in fact been from Laval. When I buy bread elsewhere I notice more of the Hamilton bread, maybe call and request the same. It doesn't hurt to try.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:27 pm 

Another safe bread (buns)... I wish I had them in front of me so I could give you the proper name... they are the WHITE buns, also made by Dempsters, and they need to be baked for 10 minutes. I've found them at Walmart and Metro. They are really good and taste similar to the ones from Swiss Chalet (which are not safe by the way... they now say "may contain sesame")

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:48 pm 

I forgot about those, they come in a plastic sealed package. I used to find the whole wheat ones that didn't have a may contain for sesame but the white bun (same package) did. Do they both have a may contain for sesame now Julie?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:56 am 

I found the white were safe, the whole wheat had the may contain sesame warning.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:11 pm 

Just wanted to add that we pretty much make our own bread all the time. When we were first making bread using our breadmaker, I found it was really inconvenient, and simply not a part of our everyday life. I would pass by the bread isle and feel so disappointed to not buy a loaf of bread. I really don't find this to be a problem anymore now that we've made this a part of our daily life and I am simply used to the idea that we make our own bread. We are onto our 3rd black and decker bread machine since the discovery of our sons food allergies (the sesame allergy is the reason we began making our own bread). We make bread every day, or every other day, and it's just automatic for us. I know the 2 recipes I use the most (white or whole wheat) off by heart, and I can get a loaf going in 5 minutes. The breadmaker we have right now makes a loaf in just over 3 hours, and there is a delay timer on the machine up to 12 hours later, so I just don't find it a problem anymore to make bread whenever we need it. If we are going away, I make several loaves of bread in advance and freeze them. You could even just bring your breadmaker with you! If someone is making a turkey dinner and wants bread for stuffing, we make the bread in advance, give a couple of loaves to whoever is making it, and they use our bread to make the stuffing. We always have fresh bread, made with fresh ingredients and no preservatives, so it's at least good to know that we know what we are eating and it's good for us. Our whole family eats this bread and I just don't bother buying bread for us. Having said this, I will buy as many other bread products I can find for other purposes (tortillas, safe English muffins (there is one style that is safe made by Dempsters), safe bagels (the thin ones made by Dempsters), the pita pockets made by Dempsters. But, when it comes to an actual slice of bread, we make our own and it's really not too bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 pm 

stefteach wrote:
Dempster's Stay Fresh in the silver foil now contains May contain sesame.

I read out this post to my husband, and he said. "So that's what you've been reacting to!" I've had weeks of rash and burning itch. I've scratched the skin off my shins (scractching in my sleep). I've been going through the cupboards and checking all the ingredients.

After reading your post, we checked the bread packages.....completely missed the may contain, which IS written on the bag. I'm old and so are my eyes. White print on a silver bag. :evil:

I rarely eat bread, but over Christmas I was eating a lot of it daily.