You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:06 pm 

DS really wants to go out for pizza, we order from Panago and trust it, but he wants to eat pizza in a restaurant. I have checked allergy guides, and Pizza Hut seems ok (cheese pizza, salad), but I would love to have recommendations from other people. Thanks!

Last edited by Becky on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:39 pm 

We have had good experiences at Boston Pizza. The desserts are NOT safe though (except maybe jello).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:28 pm 

Once you find a restaurant that answers your questions so that you feel comfortable become known to them and remind them every time. We used to order from Little Caesar's here. This was the same one that the middle school would order from for special occasions. I went in person to initially place orders and always spoke to the manager. I went so far as to insist that they wash hands before preparing our order. They set a standard of washing our plans and utensils before preparing our food.
We find it easier now to buy frozen Kraft Delissio. This is something my daughter who is a teen can take with her to parties and that friends can pick up.

We have had pizza a Moxie's in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:11 pm 

DS has eaten pizza 3x now at Boston Pizza, 1x (pizza) at Moxies. The owner (BP) is usually on site and he takes allergies very seriously as does Moxies. DS's allergies are very severe and he has had anaphylactic reactions to trace amounts of all his allergens so for him to eat our safely let me know that the kitchen REALLY cleaned up and took care with his food. DS's now been able to have four positive restaurant experiences. :D Both places knew before I even had to say to wash hands, kitchen space, all untensils ,cooking dishes. Both knew that all new ingredients had to be opened, cheese, sauce etc.. Both were even aware enough of the issues of trace to let me know that there was no safe way for them to package DS's leftovers as the boxes were all open in the kitchen. I loved that they understood that.

Good luck finding a safe place.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:29 pm 

[quote="BC2007"]Both knew that all new ingredients had to be opened, cheese, sauce etc.. Both were even aware enough of the issues of trace to let me know that there was no safe way for them to package DS's leftovers as the boxes were all open in the kitchen. I loved that they understood that. /quote]

:huggy :huggy Little things.....big deals. :thumbsup

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:49 pm 

Well I was going to say not Pizza Hut, but it seems they've changed their menu and now doesn't have a "may contain" warning on their crusts. They used to, but I guess they must have changed suppliers . . .still, I might be cautious with that one!

We do Boston Pizza and Olive Garden both with great success.

M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:01 pm 

Thanks for the replies, I am leaning towards BP, the pizza hut in town never seems to be terribly clean or well run (same for 1 of the BPs), I will stop in or call the manager. I can't seem to find any allergy info online. I always find it helpful to have the listings before calling. Can anyone locate one?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:34 pm 

Hi Becky, I haven't seen one online but they (Boston Pizza) have a huge binder you can go through. I went alone to check it out one morning on my own. I felt much better talking to the owner and the head manager face to face. I found the easiest way to find a safe food was to say what I wanted DS to eat, then we looked at the binder for top allergens and all ingredient are listed. Then they checked in the kitchen to ensure that the packages of food matched the binder so that ALL DS's allergies we could be sure that food would be safe.

Check out a few places and your gut instinct will tell you where to try.
I hope your DS enjoys a yummy slice soon. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:43 am 

I took DS to Boston Pizza this weekend (braved bad roads, figuring the restaurant would be very quiet - which it was). It was great! We split a cheese pizza, and had sodas. Nice colouring book and DS loved the music playing (rap) and watching basketball. Such a relief.