Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:55 pm 

Hi there
I am new to this and trying to find basic information on egg and milk allergies
My son is 6 1/2 and was just diagnosed as being allergic to MILK & EGGS. He is also currently being tested for Celiac but we have been advised to go through all the testing before removing gluten from his diet; so for the time being wheat is ok.

I am having a lot of problems though finding things that he likes to eat!
I am from Welland, Ontario and don't know what grocery stores to buy at. I have been reading labels and almost everything contains milk and/or eggs.
Does anyone know if any grocery stores stalk a cheese or yogurt he can eat?. He can tolerate soy so far.
Does any one know a macaroni and cheese recipe with alternatives ?!?!
or cupcake mixes that he can eat? or chocolate he can eat? Salad dressings (He'll only eat the creamy ones)?
Anyone know any good school snacks besides rice crispys and Jello ? or cookies that he can eat?

Poor little guy has lost all his favorite foods, like mushroom soup for example. ( I need to know if theres a recipy anywhere that doesn't contain milk but is fairly easy to make.
I am a very busy on the go mom, with a ten month old and full time job, I don't have too much time to bake and cook, but it seems that there are not many quick meals? :(

Anyone that can give me any info will be greatly appreciated, I didn't realize how tough this is until trying to shop? It's very frustrating

husband- no allergies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:03 pm 

First of all let me say what a challenge to face 6.5 years in, we were fortunate (this is our "living in the positive spin on allergies) that my son's allergies started at an early age and he was able to grow up knowing nothing else - even now if he was allowed to eat cheeses and sauces - I bet he wouldn't.
The thing i have found, is that President's Choice and NoName brands seem to carry less milk and egg.
As far as lunches go, we buy Ham and have a meat slicer (to avoid cross-contam with cheese etc)
Breads - the only one without the warning of 'may contain" was Dempsters Whole Wheat - now since his baked egg/mik challenge success, we can use any breads.
Jams, Dare company is great for treats, PopTarts, Mr Christie cookies - Oreo, Fudge-o etc. Teddy Grahams. We used to trek 45 min. to a Walmart Superstore to find Soy Yogurt, stock up, only to find upon return home it had mold, so after a few lessons there - we no longer buy it.
There is a So Good IceCream, and it is quite tasty! I usually send a "finger jello" to school so it doesn't melt (with gelatin added in) and he likes fresh veg - peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, apples, oranges (pre-peeled of course). On school lunch days, I may send along his own Pizza which I make with Pilsbury Pizza Crust and spaghetti sauce (Pres Choice) and ham or whatever toppings.

He does get "bored" with the menu and it can be tricky =- he enjoys M&M Meat Shops Original Chicken Breasts (safe) and Celeb Low Fat (used to be lactose free - label change) margarine.
I make pies with the Pilsbury Pie Crust when I am low on time, and have a super chocolate cake recipe that doubles as a cupcake recipe.
No Egg Cake and Cupcake Recipe

1½ cups flour 5 tbsp vegetable oil*
3 tbsp cocoa (Frye’s) 1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp baking soda 1 cup cold water
1 cup white sugar
*Vegetable oil can be substituted with apple sauce
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mix ingredients in order in a medium bowl, whisk to remove all lumps, or use an electric mixer. Pour into 8” cake pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick is clean when inserted. Cool and frost as desired. Recipe is easily doubled or tripled for larger cakes!

For 12 medium cupcakes – bakes 2o minutes at 350ºF.
*Super Recipe to make with kids – they love when the baking soda and vinegar mix to make the bubbles!

Easy Egg Substitute for Most Recipes:
1 tsp baking powder
1½ tbsp water
1 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
(double for 2 eggs)

Anyway - this post is getting too long, if you need more, just let me know - we've been here in this boat for a long time.

Son - 6 yrs old - no allergies or asthma (Son6)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 am 
Site Admin

We mainly shop at Food Basic and Loblaws.

Loblaws has an alternative/organic section and carry eggless rice pastas (Rizopia brand), Enjoy Life cookies, BelSoy pudding cups, Solcuisine plain soy yogurt, Veganaise and Earth Island soy cheese alternative mozarella. They also carry Yoso flavoured soy yogurts and soy cream cheese. In the regular dairy aisle, they carry Becel Vegan margaine, Tofutti soy cream cheese. In the bread aisle, they carry PC wraps. In the chip aisle, they carry PC brand alphabet pretzels.

Food Basics carry egg-free 3 minute chow mein noodles as well as egg-free rice noodles (Asian section), Nutriwhip (milk free whipped topping), Birds custard powder (egg-free use with soy/rice etc milk), Dempsters wraps, whole wheat, Smart 16 and white (foil bag-not Wonder!) breads, Dempsters frozen bread loafs and bake in 8-10 minute loafs and rolls.

Both carry Pillsbury crescent rolls and piecrust, Mr. Crispies soft baked cookies, taco shells, Lay's potato chips and jello.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:38 am 

We do all of our shopping for dairy free food in the organic/ natural foods sections or at an organic store (there is a Whole Foods in Oakville - not sure how close that is to you). We mostly shop at Superstore, but they are not all equal. Our organic store has a lot of egg and dairy free products. Soy milk is usually a good substitute for milk. My DS likes chocolate almond milk. You can also get cream substitutes at a lot of organic stores. Some good dark chocolate is available from these places too.

I do a lot of cooking from scratch at home (I also have 2 kids under the age of 5 and I work 4 days a week) because of Celiac disease and my dairy allergy. It is a huge learning curve and I really have trouble finding things that don't have dairy and gluten (temporarily egg too) unless I cook from scratch. You really have to read the ingredients, a lot of the whipped frozen toppings have dairy proteins in them, as do some of the lactose free ice creams and milks. You can also buy egg substitute for baking, I just used some yesterday and my muffins turned out very well. We use a Earth Balance margarine and cheese, all of the other soy cheeses that are available to us have casein. DS1 LOVES the Earth Balance Cheddar Cheese, it just doesn't melt. Sunrype Fruit Bites are another favourite in our house.

We do a lot of cooking in bulk and freeze for easy meals. I hear your pain, it is an enormous learning curve and seems impossible. Once you get the hang of it, you will find quick ways of doing things and adapt your lifestyle. :huggy

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:09 pm 

Thanks everybody for the very helpful replys

There are so many items that I didn't even check and now have to look into like pop tarts and Mr Christie cookies and croissants

Also I thought all bread had no egg or milk in it ( I dont know why) but Ill have to start watching that as well

Today I will be sure to check out food basics and try to find a loblaws for there cheese section for cheese, cr cheese and yogurt as he will love to have a bagel and cr cheese again or pizza!

Everyone has been so helpful and I thank you
Any more info Id love so keep it coming

Thanks also for the recipes Ill be sure to add them to my book
If any one has one for Mushroom soup it would be so greatly appreciated

Also what is this baked goods challenge ?
My son seemed to tolerate both milk and eggs fine and then when we got his allergy test done, I was told to take him off completely!?!?! Im wondering if anyone can send me more info on this ?

husband- no allergies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 pm 

If you don't find any non-dairy cheese inthe dairy case, try the deli section. This is where I find the soy and rice cheeses most of the time. Breads almost always have milk, some have egg.

I found a good book that has a pretty comprehensive list of foods and terms used for dairy and egg allergies. It is a book for food allergies and is fairly technical, but may help you determine what to look for in ingredients. The name is "Dealing With Food Allergies" and it is by Janice Joneja. It also explains allergies and the testing done.

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Dairy-free Pancakes http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1144
French Toast http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1884
Cinnamon Buns http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1013
Salmon Noodles Romanoff(ish) http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4159
Scalloped Potatoes http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4595
Dairy-free, Egg-free Donuts http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5887
Granola Bar http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5541
Wacky Chocolate Cake http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83
Flan http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4485

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Mushroom Soup recipe http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soupsste ... shroom.htm
Use un-sweetened soy milk! (I buy original soy milk for dd and unsweetened in the smaller size for cooking as I only need about a cup or so)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:51 pm 

Thank you so much for all the recipes!
I'm especially loving the mushroom soup, pancakes and scalloped potatoes ones! :P

As for the cheese .. I looked at Zehrs and the soy cheese's at the deli section and they both contained CASEIN (Milk protein) I'm pretty sure that he can't have these but please correct me if I'm wrong because if he can have cheese I'd love to buy it for him?!?!? (he used to eat a lot of crackers and cheese, grilled cheese, mac and cheese etc...)

One of the girls recommended tofu so I bought some and got it home and have no idea what to do with it?
I fried some and he liked it and said it tastes like scrambled eggs (which he use to love)
Can you eat it raw ? what else can you do with it? and is it good for a child?

I could still not find a milk free yogurt or cream cheese... A couple that said 90% Lactose free but he's allergic to the protein in milk not the sugar... So if anyone knows a grocery store that stocks these please let me know?

Thanks everyone for everything :thanksign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:09 pm 

Chels wrote:
I fried some and he liked it and said it tastes like scrambled eggs (which he use to love)

Well, someones given me a way to try tofu. Tell your son thanks, I'm gonna give it a go.

I love this forum. :huggy Happy you found it. :thumbsup

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:12 pm 

I haven't read all the replies yet, but there is the new Daiya cheese alternative that is dairy free, and tastes better than most cheese alternatives, especially when toasted on bread, etc. http://www.daiyafoods.com/

Re tofu, we buy the firm, or medium firm, and pan fry it cut up into small squares, or you can cut it up and bake it in an oiled pan with a bit of soy sauce.

There are some decent ice creams - natura soy ice crem, so delicious soy and coconut milk ice cream, and rice milk ice cream if you don't want too much soy.

We also use a lot of earths best magarine for frosting, and have a vegan chocolate cake recipe that I make for every birthday. I googled vegan cake, muffins, cookies, etc and found some great recipes. Let me know if you want some ofthem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:47 am 

Also what is this baked goods challenge ?
My son seemed to tolerate both milk and eggs fine and then when we got his allergy test done, I was told to take him off completely!?!?! Im wondering if anyone can send me more info on this ?

What kind of testing did you have done, and by what kind of doctor? I find it hard to understand why they would tell you this if he's never had a reaction. My son reacted from the moment he was born, and diagnosed by challenge at 11 weeks. Allergy testing didn't confirm it until he was 2, but we already knew it anyways. The absolute best book I've found on testing and food allergies is by Dr. Scott Sicherer, I think it's called Understanding your Child's Food Allergies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Good point! Most allergists will not test unless the patient has had a reaction. Some tests can provide false positives, others can provide false negatives. The gold standard is an oral challenge. Since your child has tolerated the foods (eaten them = passing the oral challenge), it is surprisig that he is being restricted so much.

Perhaps it is a short term restriction to 'empty his allergy cup', allow his body to recover and then gradually introduce foods tolerated in the past while monitoring?

Any allergist who tests widely for allergens that have not provoked a reaction is NOT following the recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:55 pm 

Hi There again
My son has been in the hospital numerous times for several days each this year
He is mainly having bad asthma attacks , and no one diagnosed him with asthma until a couple months ago and now since I have been giving him his inhalers and singular regularly he hasn't had another attack !

But the pediatrician that followed him while in the hospital recommended allergy tests.. When they were done the allergist (just the normal prick tests) he told me that since he had tolerated the food to this point to only let him have them if they were baked or cooked at high heats. He was also allergic to mold dust dogs cats birch Milk and eggs.
However I did give him scrambled eggs a few days later and found his lips were swelling (a reaction that I just don't think Ive ever noticed before).... When I went back to see his pediatrician he told me that the antibodies in his blood were extremely high and he thinks its from him eating these foods that hes allergic to so he told me to take him off completely and gave me a epi pen for if he ever has a reaction such as lip swelling again
He never said anything about reintroducing them to him
No hes further testing his blood for celiac due to the high antibody levels in his blood?!?!

I'm all new to this, does it sound right to you guys? I just want my little guy to stay out of the hospital and get better

husband- no allergies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:14 pm 

Wow, sounds like you've had a tough go. In the milk and egg forum there is a topic on baked milk. My son recently passed a baked challenge, but is still extremely allergic to milk. He has had a few minor reactions to the baked, but only after vigorous exercise. That page should give you some ideas. Our allergist (in Calgary) told us the exact same thing - baked at high temps, but gave us no specifics ... he told us to look it up online to see what other people are able to feed.

The baked challenges are pretty new, so I'm hoping the topic over there grows as other kids learn they're able to tolerate it baked.

This article is most helpful, from a recent issue of the magazine:

http://allergicliving.com/?p=4312