You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:39 pm 

My 1-year old was just diagnosed with wheat allergy. The allergist said many kids "outgrow" this allergy. Does anyone have experience with this, or outgrowing other allergies? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:13 pm 

Hi Aborden, I think every person - when it comes to allergies really is their own specific case. For every rule or generalization there are 100 exceptions. I do hope for your sake your son does out grow all his allergies, wheat included. Our DS out grew anaphylaxis to egg, fish and shellfish. They say egg is commonly outgrown but that shellfish isn't. I know it isn't as simple as that, there are probably endless scientific factors to consider.

I used to become very anxious before an allergist appt. as I was hoping so much for certain allergies to be outgrown, then as many got worse and worse , or were just still there I was crushed. Now I try to focus on what we are dealing with now, if DS doesn't outgrow any more of his allergies then not much really has changed, we are just still where we are now.

As far as wheat specifically, I hope someone here has a better answer for you.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:09 am 

Hi-yes it really is very individual. My son outgrew his egg allergy (anaphylaxis) at 3 1/2 yrs. He was also sensitised to peanut at the time (big spt but no observed reaction-passed peanut challenge at that stage also). Hev was able to eat anything and everythinguntil her was 6 1/2 yrs old....... and then suddenly developed anaphylaxis to barley (very unusual), sunflower (very rare at that time) and peanut (after having passed 2 peanut challenges while diagnosing the other other allergies-but having ongoing strange lips swelling he finally went for a 3rd challenge and had anaphylaxis on day 5 (very unusual to have it so late into the challenge). He has also become very sensitised to many other foods.
His case is not all that usual but allergies can be very strange and not always follow a clear cut path.
Fingers crossed for your child.

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:36 pm 

Hi. Yes, it is possible to outgrow any allergy. My son outgrew his wheat allergy at age 6. It varies so widely, they really cannot tell with certainty who will outgrow it or when they will, just the averages I think.

We were told milk and egg are usually outgrown by age 3 or school, and that peanut was usually life long. Apparently, my son's immune system thought different, and he decided to fool us all! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 pm 

Thanks for your responses and encouragement. :)