You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:21 am 
Site Admin

It's time to make some more noise to get those Cdn. allergy and gluten labeling regulations passed - once and for all!

See the NEW write-in campaign - supported by Anaphylaxis Canada and the Cdn. Celiac Assn - here:
http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/

Spread the word and :thanksign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:09 pm 

Let's do this! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 pm 

shared on my wall, the FAS wall, and the FAS forum.

Thank you AL for keeping on top of this.

And, yes, I did remember to sign it myself too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:29 pm 

Ok, this may be a stupid question but if I don't ask, how will I know, right? Do I do this one too?

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Michele, perfectly good question, all the lobbying can get confusing.

Yes, please do send a letter. This is Round 2 of this lobby - this time letter is different, directed at both Treasury Board President (Stockwell Day) and the Prime Minister. Treasury is where the regs. sit, stalled.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Tally so far: 222 letters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:13 pm 

Gwen I think this letter needs to be adjusted to allow for 2 people with the same address to send in a letter. I could send mine but DH can't send his.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:19 pm 

Copy and paste and send from your e-mail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:23 pm 

I sent mine earlier and just sent one on behalf of my brother (who lives at same address)...everything seemed to work fine. Try again and let me know if you have an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 pm 

I tried 2x and it wouldn't go through, then I tried again typing a different email address (where it asks for one on the form) and it let it go through.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:05 pm 

Ah yes, ok email address does have to be different. You can send one from your email address and you DH can send one from his.

Reason for that is that when Stockwell Day gets the emails, we want him to see (hopefully) 4000 emails, each representing 1 person instead of 5 or 10 of those 4000 all from the same person. It'll be better for us when he sees how many individuals are writing to him about this-although, trust me, my mother still promises to spam his fax machine every day :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Over 400 letters - keep them coming, ask grandparents, etc. to send their own letters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:59 pm 

I'm sure there is an obvious answer to this but I have to ask....Why can't our previous letters from past years and from this past fall's letter writing campaigns be sent? Why do we need to start the letter writing campaign from scratch?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi BC2007,

I know it's a pain in the backside - and trust me, writing another version of a letter to government leaders, and staying up till 3 a.m. to finalize yet another version of an online petition isn't my idea of a fun time.

We wouldn't be asking the community to go here again if we didn't need to.

We're doing a Round 2 of the Lobby for Clear Labels that ran between Nov.-Dec. for a few reasons:
- This time we write directly to Stockwell Day, pres. of the Treasury Board, where the regulations sit stalled, and to the PM.
- The Nov-Dec. campaign was great - 4,200 letters. I'm told it was definitely being noticed in Ottawa. But the regulations still haven't passed. So the question in late December was: now what?
Had a conference call about next steps with Anaphylaxis Canada and the Can. Celiac Assn. We 3 agreed that a new letter, this time directed right at the Treasury Board president, would keep up the pressure, show we were not going away until the regs are passed.
- It would also target the exact place in gov't where the regulations have stalled. (While the review is finished, if any food industry principals are complaining the new regulations, Treasury would hear about that. We need to be sure to be heard, too.)

FYI, this isn't a recycled letter. I wrote it as a completely new one, that acknowledges 4,200 individuals have already sent letters and ultimately urges Mr. Day and Mr. Harper:

Quote:
These regulations protect a fast-growing and vulnerable sector of the population, many of them children. I ask you to support their needs: Pass the regulations now.

If anyone feels tired of adding personal comments to the letter - you certainly don't have to. That's optional. (If not filled in, the comment space will just close up and the letter reads on fine.)

FYI, this 2nd round is garnering some media attention. There is an article coming out in the Nat'l Post next week. Will let you know when soon as I hear. But certainly, the more letters sent for this new round, the more that also shows the level of interest to the Post and other media who check our thermometer.

There are rumours that our letters are having an effect. But if we don't keep the volume turned up, the government's attention can easily move on. I'm for keeping the pressure on to get the regulations into law, while we've got the momentum. Hope you're with me on this.

:thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 pm 

Thanks Gwen, I don't think any of us mind at all doing it as long as our voices up to now have also been heard. We are a loud bunch so I hope they've heard us... hard to ignore a large group of allergy folks with a cause.
A huge thank you to Allergic Living, the Celiac Assoc. and Anaphylaxis Canada for keeping the lobbying alive.

3500 more to go....we can do it!! :bouncyblue

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next