You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

'07 - you betcha. We're at 510 now as I type. Only 2 days' worth of effort, and many will open our NewsReport on the weekend. If anybody hasn't seen it, it's here: http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/2163 ... ed9ad0b1f/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Anaphylaxis Canada just issued e-mail to get their e-registry to take part in Round 2:

Quote:
Dear Registrant,

Thank you to all of you who have supported our ongoing campaign to the Federal Government regarding our concerns over the delay in having Health Canada's food labelling regulations passed. Together with the allergy community, over 4,200 letters/emails were sent in support of this important initiative. However, although our concerns are being heard, more still needs to be done to ensure the regulations will pass this year.

Further to our update in December, Anaphylaxis Canada and members of the allergy community are renewing our lobbying efforts. As you know the regulations are still pending and we have not received a firm date from the Health Minister as to when they will be passed. Our understanding is that the regulations are now before a Cabinet committee chaired by Treasury Board President Stockwell Day.

Until the proposed regulatory changes receive approval from this Cabinet committee they are not final and will not come into effect. Further, we remain concerned that if a federal election is called and the regulations have not been passed, there will be further delays and perhaps even cancellation of these regulatory changes. As such we need to emphasize the importance of these regulations with Minister Day and urge him to act now.

We encourage you to take action today. Here's what you can do:

Call Minister Day's office directly at 1-613-995-1702
Join the NEW write-in campaign set up by Allergic Living Magazine specifically addressed to Minister Day at: http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/
Contact your local MP with your concerns
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/parlinfo/compila ... x?menu=hoc
Forward this email to others in your community that can help support this initiative
Thank you all for your ongoing support.

Together we are making progress toward this very important goal!

Sincerely,
Anaphylaxis Canada

Re the reference to contacting your local MP. When you hit 'send' on your own lobby letter, it generates a copy to your e-mail. We're suggesting forwarding that letter to your MP, with some comments on top. That way, the MP sees exactly what the lobby is about / and what's been sent to the government leaders.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30 pm 

Letter sent - check. Will send link to all of our family and contacts.

Here are my additional comments. It is late so I hope they make sense:

To say that living with life threatening food allergies is challenging is an understatement. Considerable care and effort is required everyday to ensure that our nine year old daughter, M, avoids a potentially life-threatening reaction. She is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts. Finding safe food for her at the grocery store is a difficult and stressful weekly chore which requires much time and often research. I have to contact companies regularly to clarify ingredients and labeling practices. The regulations that your government have prepared have the potential not only to save lives but also to ease some of the burden of living with food allergies. Clear, complete food labels will help M avoid an anaphylactic reaction and make grocery shopping a great deal easier for our family.

Let's hope that we get some quick action before an election call!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:08 am 

I waited until the end to forward the fall campaign letter to two particular friends. I really never thought either would read the link yet alone fill it out . As we were nearing the 3000's I figured , why not, and sent the link to them. Well, to my amazement they turned out to be the most on board out of anyone I knew and attached to me their forwards to co-workers, they posted it on their face book page and sent it to all their friends. :huggy Gotta love the friends that surprise you.

Forward, forward , forward.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

That's great BC2007.

Onwards with Round 2 of the campaign. We're at 782 letters and the bottom of the thermometer has filled in.
Come on, first 1,000 letters. :) G

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

909 and counting! :bouncyblue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ring the bell - 1,003!

Onward to the 2,000 mark. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 am 

1080!!

We can do it friends, keep forwarding the link. :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Oops-I'm getting mixed up with Facebook! I'm looking for the like button! :scratchy
:banana :happydance Way to go! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:19 pm 

I contacted Stockwell Day's office today. I got frustrated with the woman I spoke to. She asked if I had emailed Mr. Day and I said that I had. She asked if it was part of an email campaign and I asked if that made a difference. She said that they get so many letters through campaigns that they couldn't respond to all. She went onto say that they keep a running count of for and against to get a sense of public opinion and make decisions (nothing I didn't know) but the way she said it bothered me. I told her that I hope that the government would base decisions on important issues which could save or harm lives such as these regulations on more than emails and phone calls. I took the time to explain that I was a mother of a child with life threatening food allergies and that further delays to these regulations continued to make our lives more difficult. I decided to take as much of her time as I could. I plan to call the office regularly.

I also called my local MP to make an appointment to see him. The House of Commons is not in session for at least another week I think. MP's should be available in their ridings. I will try to bring my daughter as well to put a face to anaphylaxis for him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:44 pm 

Katec, you are soooooooo my kind of woman!!!!!! :huggy :thumbsup :goodidea :thanksign

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

Kate, outstanding work. :thumbsup

And if her comment about keeping track doesn't show the importance of participating in the campaign...

What's the no. you called? More of us will try this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:32 am 

I just called the number for Stockwell Day's office that was listed in the Anaphylaxis Canada email sent out recently. I got through to a person with no delay. I was very pleased to take up her time yesterday. Perhaps if more people call then maybe it will help our cause as well - who knows. I just feel better doing something than nothing. I passed along the number to my retired mother. She can call regularly too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:57 pm 

I changed my husband's status update on facebook borrowing from the AL page. Here it is:

The new regulations requiring clear ingredient labeling on foods sold in Canada have stalled. As these are the lifeline for those living with allergies and celiac disease, Allergic Living has begun a new write-in campaign to the federal government. It’s fast and easy, so please add your name.
http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Kate - you're amazing.

The big push is on for real. The Celiac Assn and Anaphylaxis Canada are both now on the offensive in the face of the brewers' deep-pocket lobby last week in the media. Let's hear it for both groups :thanksign

Since this stuff is now "in the news" - I started a news thread here - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6270

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next