You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 pm 

Quote:
The third potential issue is coeliac disease. The numbers of children developing coeliac disease rose in Sweden following advice to mothers to delay the introduction of gluten into their child's diet until after six months, and it fell when the recommendation reverted to four months.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/01 ... nths-study

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:40 pm 

There's such contradictory evidence on this topic. Because I have multiple food allergies (anaphylaxis), asthma, and environmental allergies and there is atopy in DH's family as well, I read up on the possible role of breastfeeding in allergy prevention or formation when I was pregnant. I was left more confused than when I began reading. And what's more, the allergists to whom I've spoken hold different opinions.

In the end, I bit the proverbial bullet and breastfed for three years. As well, based on some (surprise -- controversial) prevention data I'd read, we gave DD a hypoallergenic formula called Alimentum, which she drank for many months before we tried milk. Now, she is four, and the jury's still out, as she had a couple of severe reactions between ages 18 months and 3 years, but none of her skin scratch tests are positive. She's fine with dairy, wheat, soy, egg, sesame, and fish. We had delayed introduction of these members of the 'big 8' (or 9) and staggered their introduction.

And, of course, there are still new studies emerging that present evidence for both sides of the debate. E.g., http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22103307 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20135146

:dungetit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

There are also all sorts of good reasons to breastfeed, including brain development (a benefit seen in many studies).

I find, like Andrea, that there are many conflicting studies re breastfeeding and allergies, but I think the breastfeed for at least 4 mos. has held up well in the majority of them.

What I don't like in this report is the confusion of allergies and celiac disease, and they also seem to be talking about benefit in early introduction of gluten solids. I don't know why a mother couldn't do that and still breastfeed.