You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Vacuum
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:45 pm 

First off I go to the bottom of the page to the SEARCH i put in vacume or hepa.... I am not doing the right thing because I know there has been conversation about vacumes. :dungetit

I would like to re-read what was said about an allergy friendly vacume. I think I would like to get one with a hepa filter. Time to shop but am looking for reccomendations. Thanks to all who are more computer savy than I.

Post subject: Re: vacume
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:19 pm 

Dyson, dyson, dyson. It amazing me every single time I use it just how much dust, dirt etc. it pulls up. Worth EVERY penny we spent. I know we had a discussion about vaccumes before too, I'll see if I can find it.
We were going to take out our carpet even though our home is only a few years old as DS seemed to be having issues/asthma continually. Buying a Dyson was our last effort before having to hardwood our upstairs. Since we started using it, on mattresses, blinds, carpet....DS has been fine. :swing

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:20 pm 

I typed Dyson in under search and found our last conversations about vaccumes but I don't know how to attach the link. :scratchy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Misspelled vacuum :huggy
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5502&hilit=vacuum

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:05 am 

:oops where is the spell check when you need one. Will look into the Dyson. thank you, thank you.
Would like to vac. mattress but good. Just bought the allergy mattress cover and pillow covers and would like to put them on but would feel better if I felt the mattress has had a good vac. the store also had some mattress "allergy spray" I did not buy it as I have never heard of it and I was concerned that I was just spraying some chemicals that I would just be sleeping on. Has any one heard of a good spray for mattress??

Post subject: Re: Vacuum
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:22 am 

Our mattress was only 1 year old and when I vacuumed it (I used the regular carpet head) it was just disgusting how much came out of it, you could see the canister swirling with white fine powder as I did each side of the mattress. :o EW!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

:frightened I don't want to even think about it!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:26 pm 

Ya got the Dyson. I picked it up at Costco. When you buy the one there it comes with a few attachments and you call in and they send you the mattress attachment. Still waiting for it to arrive but was able to vac the house. :frightened OMG the canister is filling up so quickly you would think I never ran a vac before! I find it easy to push around but still need to get use to the stair attachment as the hose is still very stiff. I like that is goes from carpet to hardwood with one push of a button. Thanks for the recomendation. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 pm 

My husband now rolls his eyes as I can't help but call him every time I vacuum to look at how full the canister is getting . It is gross how much hair,dust etc. can be pulled up after say one area rug or just a few stairs. :? Gross! I don't even bother to change the attachment for the mattresses, I just stand on the mattress and vacuum with the regular head. That will gross you out for sure. EW.

Glad you found a new best friend Paige. He's my special 'other man'. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:38 pm 

"I just stand on the mattress and vacuum with the regular head" :rofl :goodidea
What a great picture that must be. I am sure you would really clean the mattress better than with the attachment as the beater bar would knock some "dust" out. You may turn off the power head but I still think that would be a great picture. :popcorn :bouncyblue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:22 pm 

Thanks for the info. I am due for a new vacuum too. And I am sure tired of shoveling snow...and running out of places to put it. I am sure glad the kids are bigger and can shovel better. :lol: This is crazy here. I haven't seen it snow like this here since I was a kid.....although I remember a winter in Cochrane, Ontario and another in Geraldton and Ignace.....I can't believe it's Saturday nite and I'm talking about vacuums and snow....and liking it....sometimes this forum is like a comedy show. :huggy

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy