You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:53 am 

Desperately! looking for baking recipes that dont have milk products, soy, eggs, egg replacement powders, gluten, corn, potaotoes, or yeast. Would love to find a bread recipe especially. All the substitutes I find he either cant have or dont seem to work for me (ei; flax eggs)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:12 am 
Site Admin

What are the allergies you are dealing with?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:51 pm 

Milk, soy, eggs, gluten, potatoes, citrus, tomatoes, nitrates, artificial coloring/flavorings, preservatives.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:52 pm 

oops, and corn...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Can he have baking powder? Our favourite egg replacer is 1 1/2 tbsp oil, 1 1/2 tbsp water and 1 tsp baking powder. We use Magic brand.
Milk and soy is a hard combo...
Have you tried hemp, almond or rice milks?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:09 pm 

I say...ask ELDI, she's the corn gal. :lol: If you look under the corn thread I'm sure she will respond. There was another mom of a little one dealing with corn who recently joined us also, maybe she has some tips.

My best suggestion for baking with multiple allergies is to think of what it is you are trying to make, and then work down your list of what you need to replace in order for the dish to be safe. Once you find something that works then just adjust it to other recipes. Otherwise if you just look up recipe after recipe you will become more and more frustrated and overwhelmed as everything you find will have at least a few ingredients you can't use.

:huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:56 pm 

thanks I'll try that. I've been buying corn free baking powder, and it seems to be ok with him. I like to use hemp milk in the baking because of the omega's in it but he wont drink it. For drinking I give him YU organic basmati rice milk, and also coconut milk. I try to give him as much fat as I can because he is so skinny, and small for his size. He had leaky gut syndrome and also food would go through him without him being able to digest it. Because of that I have to stay away from yeast and he struggles with yeast overgrowth in his gut. Yeast and eggs seem to be the best rising agents and I'm sick of hockey pucks, lol. I am unable to buy any mixes from the store because they all have one thing or another he can't have. I have found several gluten free flours that I like and I've been using flax eggs, guar gum (xanthan gum is derived from corn?!) I've found some recipes with club soda, so I will try that, and have found some recipes with gelatine, but not sure what it's derived from so I have a bit more homework to do. lol. Thank you for your help, my 3 year old son is finally starting to thrive and actually gain weight (he was the same weight for almost a year) and interact instead of screaming and throwing things and hitting when someone else is in the room.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:05 am 
Site Admin

You could try Wacky Cake! You can make it without cocoa and add vanilla.
Here's a link with several options.

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/fe ... ecipe5.php

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:11 pm 

I like to go to http://wingitvegan.blogspot.com/. Now, not all of the recipes on there are gluten free. But, she does have some gluten free ones that I have used that don't contain corn and since it's vegan, there's no dairy or eggs. Can he have flax seed/flax gel? Or it just doesn't work for you? I've used flax gel before and it worked for me, but you have to be patient when making it.

Other Allergies: Mold, pollen, hay, dust, penicillin, and angora (goat) fur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 pm 

Generally I take recipes from my cook books and modify them.

Here are some of my creations:

Pancake or muffin
1 cup brown rice flour or you can half with spelt or any other flour you can tolerate
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tablespoons of olive oil or any oil you can tolerate - it is my egg replacement
1 banana mushed or any other fruit (chopped pineapple or blueberries)
soy drink or water
1/2 tsp of baking soda if you can tolerate it

Mix dry ingredients - add olive oil - add fruit - add soy drink for thick consistency. Pour into heated fry pan (med-low).

Sweet Potato Biscuit
2 cups of flour of your choice (rice/potato/spelt)
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup lard (I use tenderflake)
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoe
1/2 c of soy drink (may vary)
flour of choice for dusting

Sift flour and salt. Add lard until resembles cornmeal. Stir in Sweet potatoe and soy
spread pastry on parchment paper. Roll to about 1/2" thick and use round cookie cutter.
Bake 12-15 minutes and rais to top shelf for about 3 min. Remove from pan to cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:41 pm 

Sorry missed the soy above - you can use any liquid you can tolerate to moisten in the recipes.