You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Just cancelled my National Post subscription.

I wasted considerable time helping Nat Post reporter: interview, sending him background info on the stalled Food Allergy and Gluten Labeling Regulations - what they mean and why they are so important to protect allergic people who have to know what's in the food they are eating.

He led me to believe he was writing an article about the regulations. Instead, he quotes me in an article that is only about the hardship for beermakers if they have to say "gluten" and has a cutesy headline:

http://www.canada.com/health/Proposed+b ... story.html

This will likely get picked up in PostMedia across the country over the next couple of days. Please let us know here if you see it and have a link.

I note that he mentions that he uses this as a throwaway line:

Health officials say the new rules could generate some cost savings for the health-care system, since people with allergies would require less treatment.

Uh, yeah, you think? Could he have spoken to the allergists about the record levels of anaphylaxis being reported in hospitals and one fewer brewer?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:56 pm 

Wow, what happened to integrity in journalism. If someone want to write ridiculous/ignorant stories that is one thing but to misuse (abuse) someone else's words is disgusting.
I'm really sorry Gwen!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, it's called sandbagging.

I'd never do that to anyone, and fortunately a lot of other reporters wouldn't either. As a journalist there's always a way to say: 'I want to make sure I get the other side' if you identify that you're doing an article your interview subject isn't going to be too pleased about.

But I was simply told it was an article about the stalled regulations, and this guy wanted to know about the lobby and the background on the regulations. When I got the one or two questions about beer - I directed him to the Cdn. Celiac Assn., since they have been negotiating wording on that for SEVEN years.

I certainly wasn't speaking about beer when I told him:

Quote:
"This isn't just a bunch of fusspots," ... "This is about, 'How do I feed my children at dinner safely?' 'How do I feed myself?'"

Normally I'm thick-skinned about reporting and out-of-context stuff. But it upsets me no end to think I unwittingly took part (helped even, did his homework for him) on something that was designed to hurt the label lobby campaign. Sorry guys.

Of concern: Clearly the brewers' assn is lobbying against us. The money part of their argument seems a little suspect, too. They get 18 months to implement, you mean none of the recycled bottles are replaced in that time?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 pm 

Quote:
Normally I'm thick-skinned about reporting and out-of-context stuff. But it upsets me no end to think I unwittingly took part (helped even, did his homework for him) on something that was designed to hurt the label lobby campaign. Sorry guys.

Don't apologize Gwen, we know you'd never hurt anyone or any issue regardless if it was allergies or any other issue being discussed. It is shameful how he used you, and what makes it worse is how reputable newspapers,magazines print such stories.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:34 pm 

How awful and frustrating for you Gwen! It is so upsetting that we have to spend so much time fighting these fights for issues that are so basic (schooling -Sabrina's law, travel -the airlines and now the right to know what is in our food). Especially since our time is already consumed with managing the day to day issues of life-threatening food allergies.

This has got me fired up though - I just fired off the link and information about the 2nd round to most of our email contacts. I will set my new facebook status shortly also. I will call Stockwell's office tomorrow too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:02 am 

Gwen, we all know your intentions. Thanks :huggy Obviously, the guy doesn't know what he is writing about. :roll: Still has lots to learn...I imagine.
Found this http://www.edmontonjournal.com/health/B ... story.html
Does this mean it was in the paper here? Maybe tomorrow, I will make contact with Darcy Henton again. He seems to be a guy with experience. I notice that on the edm journal link there is no place for comments.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

I can completely understand your dismay and frustration, Gwen.
Quote:
"This isn't just a bunch of fusspots," ... "This is about, 'How do I feed my children at dinner safely?' 'How do I feed myself?'"
It sounded like you would worry about which beer to feed your child! :roll:

As someone in the biz, could this be detrimental? Is there no such thing as professional courtesy in journalism? :scratchy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:25 pm 

Makes me wonder about other articles we've read which have left us fuming -where 'experts' are quoted. I now wonder how many of these professionals have had their words twisted and their integrity assulted by unprofessional journalism?

Is there some type of rebuttal you can have printed Gwen?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Core values
Serve the customer
Strive for quality and excellence
Win, but win fairly, with integrity and honesty
Empower citizens with knowledge
Give back to the community

http://www.canada.com/postmedianews/abo ... alues.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm 

Well, I guess we know why the customer gets top billing and where citizens and community come in.
:roll: Who's buying beer these days?
Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:46 pm 

:verymad
Proposed beer labelling regulations expensive and superfluous

[quote]Vancouver microbrewer Barry Benson says proposed health regulations requiring beer labels to warn that the drink contains wheat or barley would cost him $10,000 in printing costs alone.

And all for a warning that seems self-evident — saying beer contains grain is like saying ketchup contains tomatoes.

]

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Prop ... z1BijWYdu1
[/quote

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:55 am 

I know you aren't one to sit by idly Gwen so I was wondering what type of letter you sent to this 'journalist' (to use the term loosely) and to the National Post? If you did send a letter did you receive a reply?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 pm 

When you consider that these new regulations have the potential to save lives then the argument that it will be too expensive to change labels ($10 000) is lost. In some cases, yes, it does seem obvious that an allergen is contained in a product but on the other hand in many more cases it is not obvious.

I wonder if companies realize how many customers the allergic community represents. If you consider that each allergic individual influences the shopping of at least 3 more people on a daily basis. An allergic child probably influences the buying of many more people if you consider that daycare, school, relatives and friends would have to buy safe foods for an allergic child. I know that there are probably many more foods that we could eat safely but I avoid due to problems with labeling.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:01 pm 

Funny, a company would never want the bad pr of saying for example that wheelchair access was too expensive. I say it again, if Harper's or another top politician's child had allergies this wouldn't even be a discussion!!!!!!
I agree with you Katec, if companies had any idea of how many people in a chain reaction don't buy their product even due to just one child/person's allergies I'm sure they would be surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Folks - tell everyone you know - don't let the beer cos. cost the allergy and celiac communities these important regs. Tell your Facebook friends, get busy.

Here's Anaphylaxis Canada's e-mail to e-registrants:

Quote:
Dear Registrant,

We appreciate your continued support as part of our collective efforts to urge the federal government to give final approval to the proposed food labelling regulations.

As you may have seen on the weekend, several media outlets reported that the beer industry has come out in strong opposition to the proposed regulatory changes. This opposition by a powerful private interest group threatens to derail final approval of the proposed changes by the federal government. We are deeply concerned with this development and that the regulations might not be passed.

As you know, Anaphylaxis Canada and other community stakeholders have been waiting for two and a half years for these regulations to be enacted and this is on top of the 10 year campaign for such changes that preceded it.

The public good must take precedence over powerful private interests.

The only way to counter the influence of powerful business groups like the beer industry is to demonstrate the widespread public support for food labelling changes. We therefore seek your urgent assistance again.

1. If you can, please call Prime Minister Stephen Harper office at (613) 992-4211 as soon as possible.

2. Please join Allergic Living's write-in campaign: http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/

3. Contact your Member of Parliament. Click here to find your local MP: http://www2.parl.gc.ca/parlinfo/compila ... x?menu=hoc

Please tell the Prime Minister and your MP that people with food allergies and those who shop for them need clearer food labeling on all food packages and beverage labels. It's a matter of life and death. And public safety is more important than private interests.

Anaphylaxis Canada issued this press release urging the federal government to pass food labelling regulations now:
http://newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/ ... c4892.html

Thank you again very much for your continued support on this issue.

Anaphylaxis Canada