You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 am 

Is there a way to turn this bad press around to help us somewhat? Isn't there some saying that there is no bad publicity? Trying to be positive. If there is national media attention on these regulations now can't we have the last say on this? I am sure that everyone at Anaphylaxis Canada and AL is working extremely hard to get our story out. If media is willing to cover the angle of the beer companies then won't they look at our side as well?

CBC The National covered the cigarette labelling issue looking at the influence of the tobacco lobby in halting the improved warning labels just prior to Christmas. I think the coverage in the national media led to Health Canada eventually adopting the more graphic warning labels despite the opposition of the tobacco companies. It's hard to understand why reporters aren't digging deeper to find out why Health Canada is proposing these labelling changes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:51 am 

Over 1900 now! Maybe this issue will be the spark to get everyone politically active and get these regulations passed! Come on 2000!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 am 
Site Admin

I called Mr. Days office and spoke to a staff who listened very patiently and took my name and telephone number.
Very respectful but totally emotionless. She did assure me that my comments would be given to Mr. Day but I doubt she was recording my message!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

2,100 letters - c'mon people. You're great.

Now, who's got more helpful relatives, friends to call upon? You don't just have to have allergies in the fam. Just need to be interested and care about the label regs.

The write-in has now surpassed 2,000 letters. Let them know.
I just phoned the Prime Minister's Office.

Have you?

Reminder of Anaphylaxis Canada's call to action:

1. Call Prime Minister Stephen Harper office at (613) 992-4211 as soon as possible.

2. Join Allergic Living's write-in campaign: http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/

3. Contact your Member of Parliament. Click here to find your local MP: http://www2.parl.gc.ca/parlinfo/compila ... x?menu=hoc

Please tell the Prime Minister and your MP that people with food allergies and those who shop for them need clearer food labeling on all food packages and beverage labels. It's a matter of life and death. And public safety is more important than private interests.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

3,004 letters - yes. :thanksign

And special thanks to the celiac community for weighing in as of this week, too.

This has to be sending a msg. to PM Harper that there are much bigger issues here than beer and gluten. About 85% of these regs. have to do with food products. And the food companies have been at the table negotiating for seven long years. They now have signed off and sanctioned these regulations.

Nice that some people get the notion that those with serious food allergies and celiac MUST be able to tell what's in their food.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Interested to hear: who's called the PM's Office or their MP?

What's the response on the other end been?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 pm 

I called the PM on Tuesday and was forwarded to an answering machine. I left a lengthy message talking about public good vs. private interest etc. Hopefully someone will listen. If they are I want to take their time.

I have also called my local MP. I spoke with his Ottawa assistant. We have spoke several times now. As of this morning he felt that things were proceeding towards passage soon. He also didn't think that an election call would necessarily derail the regulations but he is going to check this out and get back to me. He thought that the beer industry was too late in their objections. I am sure that he wanted to be the bearer of good news today. I told him I was happy to hear his news but that I would only stop bothering him when the regulations finally passed -he seems like a nice guy so I said that laughing but I do mean it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:52 am 

I called Harper and Stockwell Day this morning. Got transferred to a voicemail for Harper. Stockwell Day apparently "wasn't in yet" (whether or not that's true) so I spoke with his secretary. It's obvious they're getting a lot of calls because as soon as I told him what it was about he said, "oh..." followed by a long pause. Then he told me I had to call Health Canada if I wanted more information on the regs to which I replied I don't need information, I need to know what's going on with them. I told him I know they are sitting on Day's desk awaiting approval. As expected, he said there's nothing else he can tell me.

Keep calling! I gotta believe there's strength in numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:49 am 

I called Pm Harper's office and was put through to some voice mail message. I left a very long message. I can't imagine they listen to them all but deleting them every day would still get annoying. And we all know the secretary runs the ship in any office, she might become annoyed enough with all the calls to push the bill through herself. :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Good job, folks.

I do think they are required to listen to calls, itemize them. So if more "real people" aka voters call than beer makers, that's gotta have effect.

Lisa, I like your "don't fob me off" on another ministry style. The nerve after all this time!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

And this morning's tally at: http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/

3,347 letters sent to the PM, Stockwell Day in support of food label legislation.
Go little letter thermometer, go.

:thanksign to everyone sending letters. Keep spreading the word....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:23 pm 

Oh yes, they really have nerve. Don't they know we've done our homework and know where these regs are sitting?
I even lied when he talked about Health Canada and told him that they sent me to Day's dept. Then came another long pause...

Let's keep this going guys. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Ooh, you're good! :rofl :thumbsup
Of course we do our homework! We read every label 3x, we search out products and call companies...this is a walk in the park for us! We get the wrong department? It's not going to kill us to get transfered.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 pm 

Just made my call to the PM's office, put through to voice mail, left looooooong message and name and # at beginning and end of said message. Mentioned that I remember when he took all that flack when he was first elected to office when he went to hospital with an asthma reaction and I understand ,as he must, the eye rolling. Also that since he is from Alberta, that he must know we have nothing here like "Sabrina's Law" and it is very difficult keeping children safe in schools without industries and schools getting on board. Can't remember it all, but you know me now. I have lots to say. Then I called Rona Ambroses office in Edmonton. Spoke at length with a very nice young fella, who politely took my info and listened. Not very informed about this, so I taught him a few things and will send more information this afternoon to that office. The office in Stony Plain is only open on Wednesdays, so I guess I'll go have lunch there next week. I did mention to the young guy that we would be talking on a regular basis till my child's life and others in Canada are more important than money and beer. :thumbsup eh?

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:24 pm 

Watching the CTV News Weekend with Scott Laurie CTVNC and across the bottom reads
Quote:
REPRESENTATIVES OF CANADIANS AFFECTED BY FOOD ALLERGIES AND CELIAC DISEASE ARE WORRIED THAT PLANNED FOOD LABELLING CHANGES COULD BE SCUTTLED BECAUSE OF LOBBYING BY THE BEER INDUSTRY.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next