You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

FAAMA was signed into law by President Obama on January 4, 2011! Much needed national school food allergy guidelines will be created as a result.
Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Management Act Becomes Law.

Quote:
The bill will:

1.requires the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services to develop and make available to schools a voluntary policy to manage the risk of food allergy and anaphylaxis in schools
2.provide for school-based food allergy management incentive grants to support implementation of food allergy management guidelines in public schools

www.foodallergy.org

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 pm 

Quote:
FAAMA, which was written largely by FAAN (the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network), was initially introduced in 2005 to coincide with FAAN’s inaugural Kids’ Congress on Capitol Hill. Although the legislation earned bipartisan support over the years in both the House and Senate, it was never enacted – until now

This is great news. Crazy that it took this long - something about a "lame duck bill"?

What does concern me though is this
Quote:
1.requires the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services to develop and make available to schools a voluntary policy to manage the risk of food allergy and anaphylaxis in schools

This is only one step. Kind of sound to me like the "policy advisory" we have in Alberta....or am I asking too much here or missing something. :scratchy

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:52 pm 

I agree with you Michelle, having a policy is one thing, having PROCEDURES in place that are strictly adhered to is another. Still, a step in the right direction...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:04 am 

Quote:
FAAMA, The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Management Act was passed into law in the United States after being signed by President Obama on Tuesday, January 4, 2011. So what does this Act mean to you as a food allergic parent?

Here is the official summary of the ACT which was introduced in February 2009:
Requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services to develop and make available to local educational agencies, schools, early childhood education programs, and other interested entities voluntary guidelines to develop plans for individuals to manage the risk of food allergy and anaphylaxis in schools and early childhood education programs. Directs that such guidelines address:
(1) parental obligation to provide the documentation of their child’s allergies;
(2) the creation of an individual food allergy management plan for each such child;
(3) communication between schools or programs and emergency medical services;
(4) reduction of exposure to anaphylactic causative agents;
(5) food allergy management training; and
(6) administration of epinephrine.
Allows the Secretary to award matching grants to assist local educational agencies in implementing such food allergy and anaphylaxis management guidelines.

http://www.nonuttin.com/blog/archives/604

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:24 pm 

Well, I just don't understand this. How can a law be voluntary? :dungetit

Michele

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:47 pm 

http://triblocal.com/gurnee/2011/01/11/ ... allergies/
Quote:
The District 50 board was the subject of heated discussion after a December conversation between Gregorash and board member Catherine Campbell in which she referred to the unfunded nature of the law as “ridiculous.”

I think the biggest issue in all of this is the cost...everywhere. Voluntary to pay for.

Michele

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:33 am 
Site Admin

Great article about schools complying with this law! :banana
http://tinyurl.com/49k8cxr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:59 pm 

Yes, it is a very well written article, but to me it being voluntary is a big mistake. We have the same thing here in Alberta, and many school divisions still have the same old policies in place, where all of the responsiblilty lies with the parent and the doctor. A guy with Ab. Ed. told me that if something were to happen and if the school didn't have the proper procedures (policy) in place that then the administration would have to answer. Well, it might be too late for one family then so that's not very comforting to that family, is it? In Alberta, a policy advisory came out in spring of 2007 and our policy didn't change until I made a formal request to have a new policy put in place...and that was in the school division that Mary Lynne Campbell was superintendent here in psd70 and was also the President of the College of Alberta School Superintendents when the guidelines came out. She was at the meeting where these new guidelines were brought forward at the Alberta School Board Association and still never thought to adopt a procedure until I got looking and found what was really happening. I had started a thread a while ago called Parkland School Division in the Advocacy and Accomodation section. I am going back there and posting the paperwork. Timelines are quite interesting.

Michele

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Well, we had guidelines before we had laws too. I suppose it's along the thinking that "if you build it, they will come..."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:56 pm 

In Ontario, you also had a death before there was a law. "Sabrina's Law" and I don't think there would have been a "law" had it not been for Sabrina's mother, Sara Shannon. And has anyone looked at the policy at that school division compared to others in Ontario? across Canada? This just isn't right, it shouldn't take another death before things get done.

Michele

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:39 am 
Site Admin

No, you're right. All children should be able to get a public education and to be safe at school.
I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:40 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
No, you're right. All children should be able to get a public education and to be safe at school.
I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

This is something that drives me crazy! (or crazier as my mom used to say) This is the policy from the Renfrew County Roman Catholic Separate School Board (I had to phone them to find it, very nice patient lady there who walked me though the website, they are differant in every division - you'd think education websites could all be standardized, for ease of looking,then the cost would be down as well when they change things - you know, less people to pay?)http://rccdsb.edu.on.ca/files/2010/04/Anaphylaxis-Policy.pdf

What we have in Alberta (a policy advisory) and what the U.S. is getting (a voluntary law) is a far cry from anything compared to the above.

Michele

Last edited by alberta advocate on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:42 pm 

:oops something didn't work on that link

http://rccdsb.edu.on.ca/links/board-inf ... rd-policy/

m

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Looks good! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:29 pm 

It sure does. Bet you can't find another like it. Is this where Sabrina went to school?

Michele