You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:40 pm 

I know this is an odd allergy but in case we aren't the only ones out there with anaphylaxis to gelatin I thought I'd post this.

We were excited to see that the Christmas stocking stuffer boxes of Skittles are actually labeled 'Gelatin Free'. Skittles have always had gelatin in them so this was a pleasant surprise.
I emailed the company to thank them and let them know that by removing the gelatin it was a safe treat now to have in our home. I don't know if they removed the gelatin for the vegan crowd or what the reason but it worked for us.

I received a response today from Wrigley that I should check the packages inside the box as they are having a problem with some of the packages inside the box still containing gelatin. Thank goodness I emailed, that would have been a very dramatic Christmas morning with a 6 hour stay at CHEO .

:frightened The worst part is after the Quaker thing I swore I'd always check individual packages even in boxes, but until I read this email I realized I never would have checked. NOW I will!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:12 am 
Site Admin

I meant to mention to you that I saw a new Blue package of of Skittles Fizzles that are labelled "Gelatin free". http://www.candyfavorites.com/Skittles- ... -4009.html

We thought we'd try them (dd is still trying to get over the feeling that fizz does not equal reaction-she desperately wants to drink soda pop but hates the feel in her mouth). They taste gross! :frightened (JMHO)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:47 am 

:frightened The 3 packages inside our box DO contain gelatin. Thank goodness I emailed to say thank you. I just called Wrigleys and they are sending coupons as I had to open the box to check the packages inside.

The US has gone to Gelatin free but not Canada. The ones you saw Susan are most likely not safe also as the Wrigley rep. told me that there are no gelatin free skittles sold in Canada. The stocking stuffer boxes (and I assume the packaging from the type you saw) that state gelatin free weren't supposed to be used here in Canada. Not a top allergen but in our house house it is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:54 pm 

speaking of reading labels in readiness for Christmas stockings... I found these Bakugan lip balms, with cool toppers on the cap, and I knew our son would love them! I read the label, "thought" it was okay, but double checked when I got home... I thought all ingredients were chemicals, but came across "Squalene". Not knowing exactly what it was, I found out it is shark liver oil, often used in cosmetics. Of course we did not want our son to try these out Christmas morning only to found out we've got to go to the hospital... sheesh...

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Labelled as gelatin free but not...have you contacted CFIA? :popcorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

And you wonder why we need labeling enshrined in law?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 pm 

Hey there,
Does anyone have the response in writing? I would love to get my hands on a copy. I got a letter from them today in response to my questioning the ingredients in the Canadian skittles and they reassured me their was no gelatin. I had called and was given the same answer as you though; there was a mistake and the Canadian packages containing gelatin were put in US boxes that don't. She claimed they were only advised of the error in packaging on December 26. Your post leads me to believe they are now just lying to cover up.
Not eating gelatin is part of a religious belief and being lied to by a corporations such as Wrigleys/Mars is unacceptable to me.

I would appreciate if you could let me know if you have any written responses and I would be more than happy to give you my private email to forward it to me.

I am going to definitely pursue this.
Thanks in advance :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:20 am 

Shannonleigh, I just PM you. I have to add too that even in the US I was told on the phone during my call to them that no gelatin in Skittle is something just being tested. I was told that if in the US be sure to read every package as the old packages all still contain (and list) gelatin, the newer packages don't list gelatin (and don't contain it). She was worried that if we went into a store that didn't sell a lot of stock the old packages might still be there which is why she brought it up.
Again, the PR nightmare of a 3 year old having a life threatening reaction might have scared them into the truth.

Also, here's another few odd products with gelatin.
Kellogs Frosted Mini Wheats (several varieties) all contain gelatin.
Pop tarts
Slow melt popsicles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 am 

Something is NOT right at Wrigly'. I couldn't find the orig. email I received ( :x we had a computer crash incident and I hadn't printed a bunch of stuff I had planned to) from them so I re send a letter yesterday. The response back says something 100% different from the email I had received back as well as the 10 min. phone call I had with them at that time.
Hmmmm, I wouldn't feed DS a Wrigly's product now EVER. They will be getting a phone call from me today.

Quote:
Hello, I am writing to you regarding your Christmas stocking suffer boxes of Skittles. Our 3 yr. old son has multiple anaphylactic allergies one of them being gelatin. He has had now to date 4 anaphylactic reactions to gelatin so this is a very real life threatening allergy. We had avoided Skittles due to gelatin but at Christmas we were thrilled to see the box was labeled GELATIN FREE. Not just no gelatin listed in the ingredients but the words GELATIN FREE clearly put under the ingredients. Luckily I am a grateful allergy mom because before Christmas I wrote to you at Wrigly thanking you for removing the gelatin as it now was a treat safe for our son to eat. Your staff did email me back letting me know that the boxes were not correctly labeled and that the 2 packages inside did in fact still contain gelatin. Yes, I opened the box and sure enough, gelatin was listed on both packages. This would definitely had been a Christmas morning ambulance ride and hospital stay if I had (which I most likely would have) fed even one Skittle to our son. I do thank your office for emailing me back and advising me that the skittles did still have gelatin. I appreciate that very much.

When I called your office to question this and was told that the boxes were meant for use in the US where the new Skittles were in fact being processed with no gelatin in the ingredients. That all Skittles for sale in Canada still listed gelatin and do in fact all contain gelatin. During this phone call I let the service agent know that I was also dissappointed as I had to open the box to read the inside packages, now this product was not safe to be in our home and I had to give it away - opened. The dollar amount was small but the principal remains.

I was advised that Wrigly would send me a voucher for 3$, this was well before Christmas. I'm sure your records will all show this. I have to say that again, the dollar amount isn't the issue, it is the fact I was never compensated for your error, and error which could have cost my son his life.
Dissappointed in your customer service.

Email back yesterday
Quote:
We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We have looked into this issue and would like to assure you that the Skittles product does not contain any gelatin. The outer packaging has the correct ingredient information. Furthermore, we will be changing the inner packaging in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 am 

Ok, I just phoned the head office for all of Wrigly (it's in the US) and by fluke I talked to the same lady who received my initial thank you letter I sent when I first found the stocking box marked gelatin free. She is the one who emailed back telling us NOT to feed them to our son. I thanked her for that!!

I explained the entire situation including the recent email contradicting everything I was told by them. Here's the scoop. All skittles are beginning to be made gelatin free BUT they have not changed the label so all packages in Canada still say gelatin in the ingredients. The US packages (new ones) have taken gelatin off the ingredients...but just beware that it is a new package so read the ingredients every time to be sure as old stock will still contain / and list gelatin.

Now in Canada there is no way to know if the Skittles have or don't have gelatin as the new stock (without gelatin) are all labeled the same as the Skittles with gelatin. :freak So, as it isn't necessary to give DS Skittles I am going to wait a year or so and be sure to wait for when they do change the packaging and it does in fact read 'gelatin free'.
The lady I talked to said it wasn't until after Christmas that they were alerted that the Canadian skittles were gelatin free hence the confusion. BUT as I said they still aren't safe as who knows which are gelatin free.
:|

Last edited by BC2007 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:18 am 
Site Admin

That's just crazy! :frightened

This is why we need clear label laws. :verymad

Even when you contact the company, you still can't get a straight answer. :confused

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:14 pm 

It IS crazy. I am glad however, if a company is going to screw up this badly, that they were wrong about an ingredient NOT being in their product and not wrong about it being in it. It's a pleasant surprise to learn it isn't full of gelatin - moreso for sure than finding out it might be. The gathering of information crap shoot I could have really done without though.
I thank everyone for sharing their experiences and responses from Wrigleys with me :)