You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:34 pm 

I'm going on a trip to Peru in a month; I've never been, I don't speak Spanish, and I've got serious allergies to nuts and peanuts. I'll be tripping around with a bilingual friend who can guide me, and I've specifically instructed her to look out for food that is either safe or dangerous before I arrive. So far she's given me the all-clear.

Anyway, has anyone else here been to Peru, or at least South America? Wondering if there are any seasoned travelers who may have some advice for me!

Graçias!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:01 pm 

I haven't been there but did want to mention we found the spanish word for peanut in Mexico (cacahuete or cacahuate) is different from the spanish word for peanut in Chile (mani).

Have a good trip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 am 

I went to Brazil and had a great time but it reminded me to always be prepared. My uncle was living there at the time and was fluent in Portuguese which helped tremendously but they did not seem to fully understand what allergies were. So he kept it simple and said that the foods I am allergic to could seriously harm me, etc. That concerned them enough to be careful.

Two great things were: it's so easy to find fresh produce in outdoor markets and I had my stash of safe snacks to tie me over in case I was having trouble finding food one particular morning or afternoon while touring.

Have fun!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:10 pm 

Jennifoo wrote:
I haven't been there but did want to mention we found the spanish word for peanut in Mexico (cacahuete or cacahuate) is different from the spanish word for peanut in Chile (mani).

Yes, the dialect thing might be tricky; my friend is Mexican, so I need to be wary of any differences; I've already gone through my phrasebook looking for all words pertaining to nuts, or meals that likely include them.

~Lisa~ wrote:
Two great things were: it's so easy to find fresh produce in outdoor markets and I had my stash of safe snacks to tie me over in case I was having trouble finding food one particular morning or afternoon while touring.

Oooh, that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:34 pm 

Just thought I'd follow up in case anyone in the future is planning a similar trip and is looking for information. I encountered NO problems with nuts or peanuts during my trip; vegetable or olive oil seem to be the norms, a lot of food is roasted, and they tend to prefer roasted corn as a crunchy snack.

For anyone going to Peru, continue to be vigilant (especially when you find yourself in towns with NO medical assistance, which you will), but I found it to be quite safe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:18 pm 

Glad to hear from you, KeyOfOff, I was just thinking of you the other day and glad to hear your trip went well. :D

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy